• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FIS Pulls Aspen from World Cup Calendar Until Technical Aspects Are Addressed

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Having worked in architecture, I've walked projects through approval processes, zoning, community meetings, etc... so long as people are paid, work continues. Contracts bind the client to financials. The municipality does not sign off on or approve any loans. That's the bank's job. Large projects don't happen without planning and financing in order, but projects can and do stop when things go sideways with the larger economy as a whole. Seattle had several holes in the landscape for a awhile after the housing meltdown, but most are built out now.

Though Aspen is a private company, they have their best financial interests at stake and a successful track record. Im guessing this is an argument about impact and scale. I'd guess the company/hotelier has asked for a variance and the residents/planning board are not ready to accept the added impact of scale/traffic/etc... , but the company needs to justify lift infrastructure upgrades. Anyhow, sorry to pick at the scab.

I currently work in the municipal planning approval process... :D So as we both know, games go on between developers and municipalities. And so does money. Jurisdictions are different, but I can tell you funding is a consideration for development. And so is perceived intent. We have developers rezoning for hotels who then turn around and sell the land in a rezoned state for someone to build rental units on. And once the rezoning is approved for the first, we can't stop the second. As I say, this is not the final factor, but it is considered. And sometimes development is approved with seemingly horrific financials..and you have to ask yourself how that happens.... End of the day, council is trying to hold the best interests of the community in mind and promises from developers mean nothing, you need legal docs with money behind them to get things done. Build the pedestrian bridge first, THEN you can build your condo.

scott43

Skier
The FIS spent too much time in Sochi, where there was a private 40 million $ Doppelmeyer to every venue, reserved for FIS officials and the like. I'm sure they can move the WC to Kazakhstan and China if they really need their asses kissed.

F1. Baku? Really?? Turkey?? But hey, they have money and are willing to shell it out..

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The FIS spent too much time in Sochi, where there was a private 40 million $ Doppelmeyer to every venue, reserved for FIS officials and the like. I'm sure they can move the WC to Kazakhstan and China if they really need their asses kissed.

They'll need some lessons from the IOC and FIFA first. ogsmile

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its interesting when you read a bit about the history of that particular part of the mountain. @Living Proof 's account of staying there back in the day....interesting.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We spent some time over there at the 2016 Gathering. There were a lot of racer kids over there, but otherwise it was pretty empty. We found a few surprising pitches of untracked by poking around. I enjoyed the "wayback machine" feel of the lift and area.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This entire thread I've been trying to recall what area/lift we're talking about and I think it just dawned on me. :doh:

Is this the lift to the far looker's right at Aspen? If so, then I recall riding it during the gathering, I think with @KevinF :)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Neil Gorsuch, any relation?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This entire thread I've been trying to recall what area/lift we're talking about and I think it just dawned on me. :doh:

Is this the lift to the far looker's right at Aspen? If so, then I recall riding it during the gathering, I think with @KevinF :)

yeah

James

Out There
Instructor
At least now I know why we never went into Ruthies! Usually blew right past it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So for comparison, How many ski Birds of Prey at Beaver Creak.

I have yet to ski Colorado.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can say I've ridden the chair at Aspen, but not sure I skied the actual run they are talking about.
I can confidently say I've skied Birds of Prey at BC

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So for comparison, How many ski Birds of Prey at Beaver Creak.

I have yet to ski Colorado.

It is awesome even on bad days. :D

IMG_5141.JPG

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Man, I really am old. I rode Lift 1 during Xmas school break in 1951. Skied down the run too on my wooden Groswolds with bear trap bindings. In the 70's I skied the run for pleasure while living and working in Aspen and even worked on the Roch Cup race crew (which included a quick run down the course from the Aztec exit to the finish to place gate keepers). Skied Birds of Prey while at BC for NASTAR Nationals whenever that was. By that time I no longer had wooden skis, bear traps, or leather boots.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
People ski all the Birds of Prey courses at Bc whenever they are open to the public. They are awesome on a pow day.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can say I've ridden the chair at Aspen, but not sure I skied the actual run they are talking about.
I can confidently say I've skied Birds of Prey at BC
I would imagine at least part of it was where the racer kids were, so we couldn't have skied that run.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
BTW the Facilities at Beaver Creek Birds of Prey are excellent. There are three means of skier exit (2 high speed quads and one trail down to the base) + a great Lodge Facility in the recently remodeled Red Tail Camp right next to the finish line of all the courses.

Sponsor

Staff online