• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FIS Pulls Aspen from World Cup Calendar Until Technical Aspects Are Addressed

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This should get interesting.
In this article on Ski Area Management, an announcement has been made that FIS will not bring the World Cup back to Aspen until some technical aspects are addressed.
From the article:

Sarah Lewis said FIS World Cup races wouldn’t return to Aspen until some “technical requirements” are resolved, including a new lift to replace the 45-year-old double that serves the race venue, and an improved base area venue. Lewis also noted that Ruthie’s restaurant, which hasn’t operated in years but was reopened to provide racer support services for the event, was “derelict.” The chairlift and base area issues were reportedly raised by FIS and USSA three years ago.

SkiCo has approval from the U.S. Forest Service for a new quad chairlift, but its installation is tied to the Gorsuch Haus hotel application, which the Aspen City Council will review again next week, according to the Aspen Daily News.

John Rigney, VP of sales and events for SkiCo, said, “I completely understand the desire to upgrade the west side of Aspen Mountain and South Aspen Street. It needs a facelift, and we’d like to see an upgrade, for sure. That said, the venue and the races were spectacular, and taking a world class racing site off the calendar, frankly, is ultimately a disservice to the racers, the fans and the sport of skiing.”

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
looking at his from the outside, is FIS saying they weren't aware of these deficiencies ahead of time? these seem obvious. the lift for instance and the restaurant. Didnt anyone cite these issues or have a review plan in place with enough time before the event for improvements/corrections to be implemented?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
looking at his from the outside, is FIS saying they weren't aware of these deficiencies ahead of time? these seem obvious. the lift for instance and the restaurant. Didnt anyone cite these issues or have a review plan in place with enough time before the event for improvements/corrections to be implemented?

FIS asked Aspen to address the stuff three years ago. (It isn't just the recent finals, Aspen has been holding WC races in fall.) This is the byproduct of a bunch of development stuff that is going on. The lift is approved, but it's linked to a controversial hotel project. http://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspen-city-council-holds-off-gorsuch-haus-decision/ (and yes, the Gorsuch Haus has a link to Neil Gorsuch, I believe the developer is a cousin)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I read that (lift) so it seems that FIS is complaining about known issues.

Gorsuch-yeah, same family that owns the ultra exclusive ski shops too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I read that (lift) so it seems that FIS is complaining about known issues.

Gorsuch-yeah, same family that owns the ultra exclusive ski shops too.

Well, yeah, they said a few years ago that Aspen needed to fix it, and they haven't. So they pulled the race.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, yeah, they said a few years ago that Aspen needed to fix it, and they haven't. So they pulled the race.
Squaw was back on the schedule for the first time this year. I wonder how many others. Is it possible that FIS was looking at viable options to replace Aspen since the repairs and upkeep haven't been done? :huh:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Squaw was back on the schedule for the first time this year. I wonder how many others. Is it possible that FIS was looking at viable options to replace Aspen since the repairs and upkeep haven't been done? :huh:

I don't think they are wanting to replace Aspen; I think they want Aspen, they just need the upgrades.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Understood, just seems like if it was such a huuuge issue, why weren't these issues checked on a regular basis. So for instance the restaurant, how difficult would it really had been to demand regular updates on the preparedness, staffing and daily schedule? The lift sounds purely political. They had to know there was a substantial risk that that Lift wouldn't be ready. So I understand they say until the lift gets built no races but this was not a surprise especially give the magnitude of the project that was tied to the lift. Could it be that the Gorsuch development folks nudged the FIS folks to pull the races to force Aspen to approve the hotel/lift project?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Understood, just seems like if it was such a huuuge issue, why weren't these issues checked on a regular basis. So for instance the restaurant, how difficult would it really had been to demand regular updates on the preparedness, staffing and daily schedule? The lift sounds purely political. They had to know there was a substantial risk that that Lift wouldn't be ready. So I understand they say until the lift gets built no races but this was not a surprise especially give the magnitude of the project that was tied to the lift. Could it be that the Gorsuch development folks nudged the FIS folks to pull the races to force Aspen to approve the hotel/lift project?

The restaurant is not open, and hasn't been for 15 years. That's why it's decrepit. But I think it's the only "service" they have over there, as far as a water stop.

As for the other stuff, I have no idea. But that lift is literally a tiny rickety old slow relic, and I don't think that part is political at all. They need better access, period.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The restaurant is not open, and hasn't been for 15 years. That's why it's decrepit. But I think it's the only "service" they have over there, as far as a water stop.

As for the other stuff, I have no idea. But that lift is literally a tiny rickety old slow relic, and I don't think that part is political at all. They need better access, period.

yeah, the lift is tied to the hotel project, my guess is that the town wants the hotel to pay a significant amount of the lift cost.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Does the town own the area?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
well yeah... when any business wants to build or even open in a town (just about any town) the town will require the business developer to make certain improvements to the town. This is common. So I dont know the facts but its not a stretch to imagine that Aspen wants Gorsuch to pay for a new lift and there's probably a lot of back and forth on the negotiations for concessions on both sides (the town and Gorsuch).

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
..and the town makes the rules.

Well, yeah, but I'm just answering the question. There is a bunch of infighting going on, and the approved lift upgrade is in limbo because of it, and therefore FIS is pulling out until they get it. All the other stuff doesn't really matter, as far as I am concerned.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
totally agree, its just that FIS's complaints shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Nothing they state sounds like it was a surprise.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
..and the town makes the rules.

So the town determines how the lift is payed for even if they don't have a stake in the ownership? .

Sponsor

Staff online