• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First time buying skis in 20 years, need help

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
Well, I have been obsessively researching skis online for a few weeks, reading as much as I can, and I still don't know what to do. Have read plenty of threads on this forum, but this is my first post. Hoping this fine crew of enthusiasts can point me in the right direction.

Some helpful details: I'm 36, 6', 185# athletic build and have been skiing since I was a kid. I would consider myself recreationally aggressive. I can get down almost anything and will try to get down almost everything. My preferences are powder of course (sidecountry and off-piste), glades/trees, groomers, moguls in that order.

I currently live in the south but am moving to Arizona this summer. Not that it's a hotbed of great resorts, but we will at least be 2-3 hours away from some slopes, and I'll take 2-3 trips to UT, CO, Tahoe, etc. I'm looking for the elusive one quiver ski.

Based on a lot of research, I am looking at these:
- Blizzard Bonafide
- Rossignol Sky 7 HD
- Nordica Enforcer (93 or 100?)
- Fischer Ranger 98 Ti

I read amazing things about the Bonafide, and it seems like a great choice. My only concern is whether it is too much ski. I am reading it needs to really be driven and skied fast. I will haul down groomers, but if it's cruddy and steep I have to slow it down. What does hard charging mean?

Will something like the Sky 7 sit on top of bumpy crud vs needing to carve hard through it? I read great things about it, but know it is a very different ski than the Bones.

Any thoughts on the Enforcer vis a vis this group?

And the Ranger? I read decent reviews. It and the Rossi are the cheapest of the bunch.

Anything else I should be considering? Thanks for the help!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site....I would drop the high and low..the Bonafide and Sky and loo towards the middle. If you are basing your decision on price (you mentioned the Sky's were least expensive) and looking to this years leftovers, the Enforcers will be tough to come by in the lengths that you are looking for. The Rangers are fun and will help you progress. I woudl add the Armada Invictus 99Ti to the list as a current option. If you are open up to waiting and paying "street price" for a ski next year, the new Head Kore 93 and Armada Tracer 98's are two sweet options as is the revised Sky 7 that is head and shoulders above the current incarnation.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, If you are only going to have one pair of skis I would choose the Nordica Enforcer 100. Its a ski I would travel with to resorts out west no question. They are a blast out west most days. Great one ski quiver.

I also loved the Bonafide when I demoed it for a day at Vail a few months ago. But I though it was more of a harder snow ski (skied out steeps, bumps, off trail and of course groomers). For powder days even if its just 3-4" I think I would rather have the Enforcer. I did not like the Sky 7 at all, somewhat soft and more of a narrow powder ski.

Head makes awesome skis. I bought some Monster 88's this season to accompany my 112mm wide powder/all-mountain skis. If you want to save some dinero I would check out demo skis for sale. Some are quite beat up but others have seen little use.

All That said If you want maximum control, comfort and feel of the skis you need a pair of decent boots that are fitted for you. Boots made huge difference in my skiing. I was using boots that were too big and too soft for a few seasons before I went to a bootfitter.

(I also weight 185 lb and am 6-2)

TS
urbancowboy

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome.

Looks like you're right about finding the Enforcer 100s in my length. They are gone.

I found a great deal on the Invictus 99Ti in 187cm. Looks like pretty good rocker on the tip, maybe I could go with a 187? Harder to find the 179.

Out of curiosity, would you drop the Bonafide because it's likely too much ski for me? It happens to be one of the ones I can easily find in my size.

If I am going to pay street price next year, I'll go ahead and demo before buying. Was trying to get a good pair of skis on the cheap by buying leftovers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the power of the Bonafide, going by what you said in your initial post is that if you are concerned about the power...then that is enough for me to think that there are very well other options. The Invictus 99 is a nice balance of the Enforcer and the Bonafide, is has s similar tip profile to the Enforcer but a bit more flair and the tail is flatter than the Enforcer, more like the Bonafide yet better than both on firmer conditions without much loss in soft snow.

RE the Enforcer 100..skiers are fickle, if you pay attention here, I bet there will be a pair or two lightly used ones come up in the ski swap section.

TS
urbancowboy

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
The Invictus sounds like a great option. Think I can get away with the 187cm at 6' / 185#?

Good call on the ski swap section, thank you!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Invictus sounds like a great option. Think I can get away with the 187cm at 6' / 185#?

Good call on the ski swap section, thank you!
I like the 187 for your height, but the 178 for your weight. Paging @Drahtguy Kevin to the white courtesy phone.

TS
urbancowboy

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @Philpug ! You are really helpful!

As I read more and talk to some folks, I don't think I want a big metal ski. Someone else suggested the Volkl 90eight, and it seems like a terrific option. I can also get a great deal on it. Thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Philpug ! You are really helpful!

As I read more and talk to some folks, I don't think I want a big metal ski. Someone else suggested the Volkl 90eight, and it seems like a terrific option. I can also get a great deal on it. Thoughts?
Love that ski! And actually was thinking about it as an option in a 184...:thumb:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just wanted to chime in on the 90Eight. I have it in a 163cm and I love it. It's great for powder and slush but also skis like a carver and does well on hard pack. It's also light and easy to maneuver.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
how about. pair of use skis for you to get your ski legs back. e.g. powder7.com.

then after your first trip when you demo you have benchmark to do more against.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I recommend getting the Volkl in the length you like best for a daily driver, then circling back to the other leftovers early fall when the prices bottom out to pick out something shorter for taking it easy or skiing bumps or tree runs. There will still be stuff left in shorter lengths at lower prices in the fall. Longer lengths will be long gone by June ..

TS
urbancowboy

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
Glad for the affirmation on the 90eight.

Now I'm leaning toward the 177. Seems it would be a bit more fun to toss around in the trees and easier to maneuver in steeps and chutes while still being stable enough on the groomers.

The 177 is on the lower and the 184 is upper end of my range. Hard to say which to pick.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Glad for the affirmation on the 90eight.

Now I'm leaning toward the 177. Seems it would be a bit more fun to toss around in the trees and easier to maneuver in steeps and chutes while still being stable enough on the groomers.

The 177 is on the lower and the 184 is upper end of my range. Hard to say which to pick.

I'd go no longer than 177 for the reasons you mentioned. If you want a fast stable groomer ski, get a carver or a race ski. If you want maneuverable and playful anywhere ski, going up a size typically works against that goal.

TS
urbancowboy

urbancowboy

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @trailtrimmer. I just pulled the trigger on the 90Eights in 177 with Salomon STH2 13 bindings. Can't wait until next season!

Next I need to find a good boot fitter. I have Salomon X Pro 120 boots that need some professional fitting.

Thanks again everyone. This crew was really helpful in my decision!
:beercheer:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You will be pretty happy. LEt us know where you are to get your boots done, we can help with some direction.