• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fibular Fracture

Neil Eric

Booting up
Skier
I had a fall backpacking 5 weeks ago. The result, a broken fibula. I know I'm lucky, not a knee, hip, or weight bearing bone damage.

Question I have on rehab is there anything I can be doing while I sit with my leg up?

Will I have problems with boot fit this year? I told the surgeon I will be skiing, will the hardware be a cause of discomfort?

IMG_1048.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to hear. I think there are mroe than a few here with some hardware in them. It sucks but you will be back out there making some turns soon.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks pretty low down the fib, like a very high ankle break (end of fibula makes up the lateral ankle).
Hardware discomfort is going to be individual. Haven't seen any people that ski that had that break but would have to assume the design and rigidity of the ski boot would put more pressure on the hardware than say a running shoe would.

Good news is the hardware is easy to remove and recovery is pretty quick for that.

As for rehab/activity. You could always work on your upper body strength. E.g. Presses, pull downs, seated row. For aerobic if you can find something to slide your foot on (e.g. Towel on hard floor) rowing is an option; could also just do the pulling motion without using lower body as well if needed. Some centres (typically university based ones) might have an arm ergometer kicking around (basically a bike for your upper body). You could work on reaction drills by sitting down in front of a wall and playing catch with yourself. You could also put your foot up on a bench and do 1 legged squats, etc. when ready to.

Just a few ideas.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There are a lot of exercises you can do lying down to keep your muscles from atrophying, but I don't know what your doc would say or how long you'll even be restricted. After ACL surgery I did a lot of quad sets and leg raises while lying down, which I would assume you'd be allowed to do.

TS
Neil Eric

Neil Eric

Booting up
Skier
I appreciate the response. I'm 4 weeks post-op, 2 weeks before I'm out of this cast. This week I have noticed I can move the toes without pain also the inflammation is reduced. I have been taking it easy, no weight load, but I'm getting restless and want to stay on top of the recovery curve.
I have started to do the leg lifts, on my back, and side, now on to the aerobic activity, thanks.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Use an electro stim machine, like compex, to build up your quads, hamstring and butt muscles. You will be stronger than ever before.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's quite a bit of hardware for a "minor" bone. You must have done a good job on the break.

TS
Neil Eric

Neil Eric

Booting up
Skier
I agree, thats my concern on boot fit. The ER X-ray shows a gap between break ends, my butt crashed hard on the ankle. Unfortunately sliding down a 35*slab of granite.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I suppose every person is different...but my ma broke her ankle/fibula and they plated and screwed it. They said the hardware removal was optional but she had a real problem with hiking boots, constant pain. So she told them to take the hardware out 1.5 years after and she's been much better without. I suppose it's a foreign body in there and can cause issues. She had to be careful for a month or two until the screw holes healed but she hasn't regretted it. Something to think about. I believe they said it would be just as strong without the hardware. Don't know if that's 100% true though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, thats my concern on boot fit. The ER X-ray shows a gap between break ends, my butt crashed hard on the ankle. Unfortunately sliding down a 35*slab of granite.
One of my friends in Michigan happened to break both of his heels falling off of his roof while shoveling snow. He has a bunch of hardware in his ankle. Since that time he's been in two different ski boots. IIRC the one that he's had the best luck with has been the Fischer Vacuum.
@Craig Scholten may be able to weigh in on this.