• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Federal lands senior pass about to increase mucho.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're 62 or older and haven't purchased the good-deal federal lands pass for $10 you need to get on it. It provides free access for you and everyone in your vehicle to national parks, monuments, and other federal fee-based lands. Also half-priced camping in USFS, BLM, and other fed campgrounds. At $10 for life (or what's left of it) it's a serious good deal and it's going up to $80 in August - still a good deal, but...

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2017/07/national-parks-pass-cost-skyrocket-seniors/?utm_source=AJ's+Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=926912c3fb-Daily+Digest+newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a7cb93cd43-926912c3fb-390012181&mc_cid=926912c3fb&mc_eid=dcb9da50a3

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It goes up less than 10 days before I'm old enough to get it. My Mom already said she was going to buy it for me for my birthday. It will make the Sonora vs Tioga Pass to/from Mammoth decision easier, assuming both are open. (Sonora is more than 20 miles longer, but not that much faster as going through Yosemite the speed limit is 35 and I think a ticket is a federal offense that you either have to pay or return to park to fight. Both are beautiful drives although Tioga is hard to beat for scenery.)

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I've had mine for 4 years. Mrs. Claystone turned 62 today. It looks like we will head up to RMNP in the next week or so to get her one. Sometimes she takes the grandkids to the mountains for field trips on days I have to work.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Shenandoah National Park, VA on June 25, 2017 with my wife and one of my daughters. My wife and I purchased these passes. Later we went for a hike to the top of Stony Man Mountain (elev 4011').
5969e5b212822_parkpass.thumb.JPG.1f5bed12f3bf1a278ea08625993fcf35.JPG

I have an older brother who has visited all National Parks in the lower 48 and used this pass to enter many of them. It's a little like having a MCP or EpicPass when living far away from many member resorts. You have to spend $1000s in travel costs to take advantage of your bargain pass:roflmao:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I bought two, one for each carin. Since we live near lots of Federal land we often find ourselves at a trailhead or other spot. Not having to think about whether we've got the pass with us is kind of nice. I have a truck too and will get one for that vehicle before the end of the month. It was great when we took our pass on a trip to southern Utah. The best deal ever.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A better deal was Trish & I getting ours 5 years for FREE just before they went to $10.
Drove into Assateague National Park, grabbed the passes, then did a U turn and quickly left left.

Easy as we were 5 miles down the road !

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At $10 for life (or what's left of it) it's a serious good deal and it's going up to $80 in August - still a good deal, but...
Like you said, its still a good deal, but...

Even at $80/life for everyone in your car. :thumb:
National Parks are worth it!

TS
pais alto

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^Well yeah, Yukon-Charley NP doesn't get a lot of visitors. I think that has a lot to do with there being no roads to it. You can't drive onto it, and driving to Eagle and/or Circle involves many miles of bad road, unpaved. Boat, float plane, helicopter, parachute... I've been there a number of times on wildfires and associated business, and it is fairly remote. But beautiful, especially the area near Eagle. I'd laugh if anyone ever asked for my National Park senior pass. I think that the people that visit are mostly canoers on the Yukon. There's been some mining here and there.

This one time on a fire near there In an area known as the Yukon Flats I got my PR for the number of mosquitoes smashed in one two-handed slap, no smearing - over 50. I knew this one guy that claimed 70-something. Other than bugs there are lots of bear and moose, some caribou in the higher lands, wolves, lots of fur-bearing varmints and such. It's been a while since I've been there though.

/reminiscing

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Very surprised that Wrangell-St. Elias was not on that list.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Both my wife and I have recently purchased the pass for $10 because when she retires we will do a little more traveling.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Have a free one but if you lose it they won't replace it. You'll have to replace it at the going rate ($80 or more).

Nevada Co (Tahoe NF HQ in Nevada City) and Eldorado FS have them. For insurance I just bought a second
one for $10.

Goes to $80 on August 28.

Sponsor