• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just watched this one. Just good skiing.
That's awesome - thanks for sharing. I like that it specifies radius and ski length. Can anyone recommend free ski carving videos that specify short turn (sl) and long turn (gs)? I want to compare and contrast those turns but not in a race situation. Cheers

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I also like Greg Stump's "How To Thrill" (1990)... Some of it is dated from the technical standpoint, but it's still pretty cool.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
These seem to be new this year.... Yes, I'm still working on short turns. Got a feeling it might take a while....

Youd be working a long time from those video....

Id watch Bob barnes, Harb, and Reilly.

This is probably the best piece of ski info posted on the net.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I spot Pontiac World of Skiing - Rob Butler is still at it. Saw something the other day, but don't know where. He was my examiner for my L2.

He is one of my favorites! I have some of his newer videos bookmarked on YouTube.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
This hasnt been posted yet.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Id rather take a lesson from Bode than say Picabo

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
This hasnt been posted yet.

Great, disciplined skiing. I don't aspire to anything before about 3:00 — zipper line? My knees are still good, thanks! — but the early turns by black-and-white and solid blue, and then red-and-grey's are just what the doctor ordered. Where's my popcorn?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I definately have a man crush on JF Beaulieu. He seems to impart information very clearly and concisely.

That's one of my favorite BF videos.

I agree he's a fabulous skier (if I could ski like that guy . . .), but I'm not always clear on what he's trying to impart. He can be a bit abstract for me. I find Reilly and Paul Lorenz a little clearer.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's one of my favorite BF videos.

I agree he's a fabulous skier (if I could ski like that guy . . .), but I'm not always clear on what he's trying to impart. He can be a bit abstract for me. I find Reilly and Paul Lorenz a little clearer.
I will look for their instructional videos (I've noticed something called "Project Kitz" on Vimeo. In the above video, I like how he explains the inside ileg shortening to circumscribe an arc. That really makes sense to me. Also (not for nothing), every drill series I watch seems to include those slips regardless of instructor. I really need to do those every time I hit the slopes. JF's style is fabulous. If you were to pinpoint one thing, what do you think separates JF's style from Harb? Harb's reliance on the Phantom move more than the weighted release? JF just looks more fluid and powerful than Harb. Harb is fantastic and I try to emulate his teachings but it seems (to me) that JF's skiing is turned up to "11" vs. Harb.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I will look for their instructional videos (I've noticed something called "Project Kitz" on Vimeo. In the above video, I like how he explains the inside ileg shortening to circumscribe an arc. That really makes sense to me. Also (not for nothing), every drill series I watch seems to include those slips regardless of instructor. I really need to do those every time I hit the slopes. JF's style is fabulous. If you were to pinpoint one thing, what do you think separates JF's style from Harb? Harb's reliance on the Phantom move more than the weighted release? JF just looks more fluid and powerful than Harb. Harb is fantastic and I try to emulate his teachings but it seems (to me) that JF's skiing is turned up to "11" vs. Harb.

Interesting that they're both Canadian. Harb is a very smooth skier — the video of his skiing a nasty crud field proves it. I agree, JF seems more dynamic. Some people see his skiing as robotic or metronomic, but I reserve judgement (I'm a mere learner, myself).

Reilly McGlashan, who's also in that Project Kitz video ($20 well-spent, as is JF's more recent project) is a friend of Harb's — there's a video of the two of them somewhere on Youtube — also a smooth, dynamic skier.

Harb's skiing is very fine. I only fault him on his approach to business, and on things I've heard about his teaching system (little versatility in drills).

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I definately have a man crush on JF Beaulieu. He seems to impart information very clearly and concisely.

There's definitely a lot of good information in this JFB video in particular. I would say that he gets a bit "diffuse" in some of his presentations - what he needs is a script writer and an editor. But I also give him extra points for having the whitest teeth on the mountain and the best accent.

#notquiteamancrush

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
There are lots and lots of instructional videos, and I watch them. However, this is the video I go back to all the time, one of Mikaela Shiffrin training.

I watch the quietness of the upper body, the extensions, the angulation, the agility and quickness, the earliness of the turn, where the belly of the turn is by where snow is kicked up, the transition. I watch it over and over and over and over, visualizing myself doing it, to the point where I experience my muscles micro-contracting while I watch. Everything I see in this video, I use, in powder & crud, on ice, in steeps, bumps, and trees.

And, here's another video,

I've studied it over and over too. When you look long enough and compare the two in the minutest detail, you see the differences and have ah-ha moments.

Yes, it's helpful to watch an instructional video explain how to do something. But, short of actually skiing, I think self-visualizing while watching high quality skiing is the closest thing to practicing.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Woops. The link to the Shiffrin video is this,

In case that doesn't work, search "Shiffrin SL @ LSC"