F1 2017

Discussion in 'The Garage and Car Talk' started by Tricia, Mar 22, 2017.

1. scott43

scott43 Out on the slopes Skier

I think Bottas expects (or hopes..) to be at Mercedes longer than Lewis..probably he didn't want to be That Guy who starts causing waves. Maybe he's banking some karma to be used up later. Ultimately, if he's not on pace, he's going to be asked to let him by..and if you make it too obvious..you get another whatshisname situation..where everyone holds up their hands and says "The sky is falling!". ogsmile I like to think Bottas graciously dedicated himself to team happiness.

Mikey and epic like this.
  2. Mikey

Mikey Booting up Skier

I agree with everything you typed. I think that is the exactly Bottas mindset. But, the words up until yesterday were, "we are going to let our guys race" and that didn't happen. Now Toto comes out and says, ya, we are going to look at team orders. His words say it will be equal between the two drivers. i.e. if a situation similar to Bahrain is reversed then Hamilton will be asked to move over. I just don't see that happening. I think the season will turn out that fans will have never seen a more obvious #2 than Bottas.

I'm not even sure you'll see much of an uproar about team orders. How was the coverage in Canada? Do you get the NBC sports feed with all British team Matchett, Diffey, Hobbs, and Buxton? Over here in Asia, we get Fox Sports 1 with all British Martin Brundle and David Croft. A lot of air time was spent talking about team orders and when Bottas would move over as if that was a given and acceptable.

Hope Ferrari and Vettel can keep bringing it. They seem to be down just a bit on overall power, but make up for it by being easier on their tires. Starts for Ferrari are crucial where they need to at least be in 2nd position. Any bets on when the driver love-fest ends and smiles disappear? It's close now :)

3. scott43

We get the Brit feed with Brundle. I think, ultimately, it's a team sport. I know they say they can race each other..but at the same time, if team-mates collide I'm sure it's a heated exchange with team leaders afterward. I'd like to see them race but I get the team orders thing. There's a lot of money in it for those teams and if blow each other up to the benefit of Ferrari, questions will be raised. It's a tough thing but I get it. Like I say, Lewis may be done F1 shortly and Bottas is probably waiting his turn.

4. epic

epic Out on the slopes Instructor

I don't know if it would have mattered, but it seems like Mercedes should have covered the undercut with at least one of their cars (probably Bottas). The safety car negated that, but it seems like they are really slipping when it comes to strategy.

Was anybody else surprised to see Massa finish where he did?

5. Mikey

Mikey Booting up Skier

@epic, ya, great finish by Massa, however there were 6 drivers who didn't finish the race. Almost certainly Verstappen would have have been ahead. Of the others, his teammate Stroll might have been in the mix had he not been T-boned by Sainz, Magnussen/Haas could have been in there as well. There really is some great racing from 4th place on back. Nice aggressive, even wheel banging passing. Love it.

@scott43 and @epic, sure, I understand that there are team orders to some extent, but overt #1 and #2 drivers became very taboo in the Michael Schumacher/Rubens Barrichello era (don't want to open up that wound Scott...just bringing up the example for this discussion ogsmile ). Heck, even for a MS fan like me, I found the whole thing really distasteful in Austria in 2001 and really felt like the teammates should always have been allowed to race. Point being, from that point on, everyone seemed to be clear. Team orders bad. Now... I don't know.. maybe my dislike for Hamilton and a biased British media that IMO, played a part in Rosberg exiting, has me seeing ghosts, but it just seems like it is all now very acceptable. My fear is that Bottas will no longer be racing to win but will instead be blocking for Hamilton. Probably paranoid of the bogeyman hiding in the closet, but we'll see ;-)

I'm also not so sure about Hamilton exiting F1 being a given. I agree that happens if he can't win the championship this year and can't see a way to do it easily over the course of the next 4 to 5 years (matching or beating MS total).

Having said all that...this season is so far shaping up very nicely. Maybe RB can get it together and get into the mix. If only we can get some real passing at the front instead of getting it done through tire strategy and being told to move over :P

6. Mikey

Mikey Booting up Skier

Anyone going to be watching the Indy 500 this year to see how Alonso fares? Would love to see him do well.

7. epic

epic Out on the slopes Instructor

I will be. Haven't watched in years. Probably not since Penske ran those crazy ILMOR engines. Definitely not since the IRL split.

8. scott43

Don't get me started on that topic... :nono:

9. scott43

I'll probably watch for the circus aspect of it. I highly respect his driving ability. If anyone can get up to speed it might be him. It's a jump though..I don't think it will be as easy as he thinks..or maybe everyone else thinks..I think he probably has an idea that it won't be simple.

10. Mikey

Mikey Booting up Skier

Same boat. Haven't cared since then either. Ya, I'm guessing it'll be a circus and I'm sure a breathless story line. Still, he's got one of the best in the business guiding him. If he's really serious and driven to win the 500, we could see him near the top. It'll be interesting to see how May develops.