• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Epic Pass

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Feeling like this pass needs it's own forum now! They got me hook, line and sinker on this one........... I couldn't.........NOT buy it! (if that makes any sense) What a deal............. and for Stowe???......... I could not believe it.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm getting the Epic Tahoe Local for the first time this year. This pass has been the source of disagreement between me, my significant other, and some friends for a number of years. SO has a couple of friends with ski in/out condos at Northstar. He values ski in/out over anything else. And Northstar is fun if you can avoid the parking and village hassles. So he always gets the Epic pass.

But the condos are small, and we don't always have access. I usually like skiing at Squaw/Alpine better. So ever since Squaw and Alpine merged, I've had the Squaw/Alpine pass. I used buddy passes to ski with SO at Northstar. I couldn't get him to go to Squaw, but occasionally he would go to Alpine.

This past year, I skied at Northstar a bunch of times when there were storms and most of Squaw/Alpine was closed. The year before, we had some great days at Heavenly and I also skied Kirkwood. I have decided that the Epic pass is a great value for me. Even purchasing 6 buddy passes would cost me more than the pass costs. I will also get the Squaw/Alpine pass, because those are still my favorite local places to ski.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In the last three or four years I have skied ten North American mountains in the newly expanded Vail Resorts empire, including Stowe, Whistler, and various places in CO, UT, and CA. I hope to post an article on PugSki soon about navigating this empire on a budget with some of my impressions/photos/tips/favorite aspects of the different resorts.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had both Epic and MC for the past few years that worked out nicely. Last season, when Vail took over WB, they ended up giving 5 days free on the EPIC, so combined with my 3 from MC and 50% off thereafter, made for a nice, cheap WB season.

I could probably "live" on just the Epic pass, but with Snowbird, Aspen and Squaw still on MC, for $400 it's a no-brainer.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Having done Epic Pass the last year, amd MCP the past 2 years, I will be switching gears to go to the Max pass for the coming winter.

I prefer to stay put in one place for more than 2-3 days even while traveling. So the 5 days per resort that Max offers will work out better for me.

Of course the east coast resorts is also a big factor.

To me, Epic is really a regular season pass for people living (or have long stay) near one of the "cernter) of Vail resorts. It gives them some option to check out other mountains.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, it's hard to ignore.

I've been getting the Epic pass since back before it was called that, and you had to be a Colorado resident or at least be physically present in the summer :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Having done Epic Pass the last year, amd MCP the past 2 years, I will be switching gears to go to the Max pass for the coming winter.

I prefer to stay put in one place for more than 2-3 days even while traveling. So the 5 days per resort that Max offers will work out better for me.

Of course the east coast resorts is also a big factor.

To me, Epic is really a regular season pass for people living (or have long stay) near one of the "cernter) of Vail resorts. It gives them some option to check out other mountains.

I resemble that remark although I'm not sure what "cernter) is.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope to post an article on PugSki soon about navigating this empire on a budget with some of my impressions/photos/tips/favorite aspects of the different resorts.

When you post that, let us know as "Lodging" is now the next arena in the search for ski deals. Thanks!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lodging isn't really the problem it's just a matter of determining your $ value of drive time. Car parking on the other hand can be a black art.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it's hard to ignore.

I've been getting the Epic pass since back before it was called that, and you had to be a Colorado resident or at least be physically present in the summer :)

I remember that. I happened to be in Colorado one summer for work, and I spent over an hour in a ski (and summer stuff, I suppose but don't remember) store on I-70 trying to decide whether I should buy an Colorado pass, even though I had no actual plans for the next season. If I remember correctly, once you had one you could renew by mail.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I remember that. I happened to be in Colorado one summer for work, and I spent over an hour in a ski (and summer stuff, I suppose but don't remember) store on I-70 trying to decide whether I should buy an Colorado pass, even though I had no actual plans for the next season. If I remember correctly, once you had one you could renew by mail.

You just had to buy it in person the first time. No residency required. I think the Epic Local is the same way still. Only the full Epic pass can be bought without being present. IIUC.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right.

I'm still not sure that the long-term ramifications of the Epic pass are good for the future of skiing. But it's a heck of a good deal. It does seem a bit like Walmart, undercutting the local businesses.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lodging isn't really the problem it's just a matter of determining your $ value of drive time. Car parking on the other hand can be a black art.
Exactly............ How do you find the best + cheapest lodging that is still on the free city bus route that keeps the trip essentially car free?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The only reason I am buying the EPIC pass is that quite a few of my friends and family ski at EPIC pass resorts every season. Total days I ski with them is about 15-20 days a season so it makes sense. If it were for me I would rather avoid epic pass resorts due to the ever present crowds. I am gonna be living in Littleton, Co now so I will get a lot of use out of it although I really like skiing at Loveland once its fully open. Much less crowds and mellow vibe.

I am actually gonna miss skiing in New Mexico next season. It was so so good this season and of course, basically no crowds and just great snow and stunning desert views. I will head down there once or twice next season for sure though. It is indeed "The Land of Enchantment" :D

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
If I remember correctly, once you had one you could renew by mail.
No need to do it in person any more. Even first time buyer can do it online. You just upload a picture. The pass show up in your mailbox.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The only reason I am buying the EPIC pass is that quite a few of my friends and family ski at EPIC pass resorts every season. Total days I ski with them is about 15-20 days a season so it makes sense. If it were for me I would rather avoid epic pass resorts due to the ever present crowds. I am gonna be living in Littleton, Co now so I will get a lot of use out of it although I really like skiing at Loveland once its fully open. Much less crowds and mellow vibe.

I am actually gonna miss skiing in New Mexico next season. It was so so good this season and of course, basically no crowds and just great snow and stunning desert views. I will head down there once or twice next season for sure though. It is indeed "The Land of Enchantment" :D

If you have to ski on the weekends and below tree line, that might be true, on weekends. But ever present crowds does not describe midweek. Even on a powder day I typically ski myself tired before the fresh is all gone at Breckenridge. But please, maintain the myth. ;-)

20170124_105657.jpg

No need to do it in person any more. Even first time buyer can do it online. You just upload a picture. The pass show up in your mailbox.

By golly, you are correct. That is pretty recent as I had friends that would have gotten them remotely otherwise.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Well, yeah, if you can go during off-peak times it doesn't much matter where you ski from a crowd standpoint. For weekend warriors, though, the Epic has truly been a double-edged sword. Keeping down season pass prices is welcome, but on a fair weather weekend it looks more like this:
tbar.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly............ How do you find the best + cheapest lodging that is still on the free city bus route that keeps the trip essentially car free?
If you can find a good fare for flying into Eagle, CO that can work as a car-free gateway to glamorous, downtown Avon. Avon has some moderately priced motels and is well-connected with free and quick bus to Beaver Creek or cheap county bus 12 miles to Vail. And from my experience BC is one of the less crowded of the Vail Resorts in CO with many quiet areas especially for advanced skiers/boarders.

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, yeah, if you can go during off-peak times it doesn't much matter where you ski from a crowd standpoint. For weekend warriors, though, the Epic has truly been a double-edged sword. Keeping down season pass prices is welcome, but on a fair weather weekend it looks more like this:
View attachment 26088
man am I glad Tuesdays and Thursdays are my go to ski days. First pass was the hookey pass at Copper late 90's then transitioned to everything colorado/epic as it came on board.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 26088

I will concede I have the advantage of self-employment and living along a bus route.