• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dry land training for racing/technical skiing?

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
For the last month and a half I have sort of stumbled upon/inadvertently taken a different path in regards to ski conditioning that I hadn't really considered much before, and it all came about because of my overly posted footbeds which I have subsequently tossed....

I realized that I am assymetrical from foot to head in regards to left and right joint RoM, muscle tightness, etc and that most of my issues in this regard stem from my feet, which have taken much abuse over the years with all of the backpacking, skiing, and constant on-my-feet back and forth at work. Combine that with the fact that I have always believed I should wear a very supportive shoe/boot with plenty of arch support as well. Boy was I wrong. Long story short, I have basically unintentionally weakend my feet and therefore caused misalignments further up my kinetic chain...

Ergo, my first priority as I've said, is loosening the foot/ankle, knee/hip/spine with various methods to include using roller massage balls on all of the relevant muscle groups associated with these key areas...add in stretches after the muscles have been mashed loose. I can already feel a HUGE difference in RoM, e.g. more dorsi/plantarflexion, increased ability to abbduct/adduct, etc. Also balancing on one foot on a pvc pipe has become quite easy whereas before I would struggle (especially with my right side) due to weak feet and misalignment.

I feel that if the feet (which have 33 joints per foot!) can't articulate properly, the rest of the groups up the chain will have to compensate for this deficiency and will also have to try and make fine tune adjustments in balancing, which they are not primarily designed to do.

Theses thoughts also tie in nicely I think with the "ski from the feet up" mantra that some of us endorse....

A work in progress!!!!

zenny

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Small follow up....once I've "unlocked" my RoM, which I feel I can do, THEN will I focus on building strength...just doesn't seem to make sense for me personally to do any strength training on muscles that are somewhat to fairly "seized"......

zenny

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year we did a program called something like mind to muscle or such ... A relative ran it then (he has previously been working with quite a few of the Swedish WC:ers, Hargin too). It emphasized exactly what Zenny say above. First you need to have full movement. Then you add strength. Now my daughter has also been in a gymnast age 6-13. So movemrnt never an issue there, but for us "elders", doing some kind of mobility/movement exercises is good.

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Last year we did a program called something like mind to muscle or such ... A relative ran it then (he has previously been working with quite a few of the Swedish WC:ers, Hargin too). It emphasized exactly what Zenny say above. First you need to have full movement. Then you add strength. Now my daughter has also been in a gymnast age 6-13. So movemrnt never an issue there, but for us "elders", doing some kind of mobility/movement exercises is good.

Huh...maybe I'm smarter than I thought! :D

zenny

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
For the last month and a half I have sort of stumbled upon/inadvertently taken a different path in regards to ski conditioning that I hadn't really considered much before, and it all came about because of my overly posted footbeds which I have subsequently tossed....

I realized that I am assymetrical from foot to head in regards to left and right joint RoM, muscle tightness, etc and that most of my issues in this regard stem from my feet, which have taken much abuse over the years with all of the backpacking, skiing, and constant on-my-feet back and forth at work. Combine that with the fact that I have always believed I should wear a very supportive shoe/boot with plenty of arch support as well. Boy was I wrong. Long story short, I have basically unintentionally weakend my feet and therefore caused misalignments further up my kinetic chain...

Ergo, my first priority as I've said, is loosening the foot/ankle, knee/hip/spine with various methods to include using roller massage balls on all of the relevant muscle groups associated with these key areas...add in stretches after the muscles have been mashed loose. I can already feel a HUGE difference in RoM, e.g. more dorsi/plantarflexion, increased ability to abbduct/adduct, etc. Also balancing on one foot on a pvc pipe has become quite easy whereas before I would struggle (especially with my right side) due to weak feet and misalignment.

I feel that if the feet (which have 33 joints per foot!) can't articulate properly, the rest of the groups up the chain will have to compensate for this deficiency and will also have to try and make fine tune adjustments in balancing, which they are not primarily designed to do.

Theses thoughts also tie in nicely I think with the "ski from the feet up" mantra that some of us endorse....

A work in progress!!!!

zenny

Lovely perspective. Do you think you'd be revisiting your boot canting next season, for the new-you? It might benefit from re-calibration, I guess?

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Lovely perspective. Do you think you'd be revisiting your boot canting next season, for the new-you? It might benefit from re-calibration, I guess?

Great question! Yes, I suspect that after a full summer of this that I will need to reevaluate my fore/aft and lateral setups as the way my body aligns will have likely changed to some small degree I suppose...

zenny

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's cold, wet and raining (hate that), so dry land training, HA!

Put on your ski boots (race boots are best as they have a flat soles), run up and down a metal stairs (the steeper the better) in the rain. Develops balance and recovery skills very similar to skiing. When mistakes are made it also causes similar injuries giving you a good excuse for not having done dryland in the off season.

:D

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've started inline skating to attempt to improve my athleticism this summer towards my goal of passing level 3 ski next season. Not sure it is helping much on turn mechanics, but fore aft balance is pretty intense.

Oh, and my abductors are sore...

Mike

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've started inline skating to attempt to improve my athleticism this summer towards my goal of passing level 3 ski next season. Not sure it is helping much on turn mechanics, but fore aft balance is pretty intense.

Oh, and my abductors are sore...

Mike

Every stroke 'forward' is also a turn :thumb:

Got your one footed glides up to over 20 30 feet yet? That will unlock the hips for sure and from there the adductors will smart too. By the end of the summer you'll have a wet asphalt zero - abductor stroke which is all about falling forward off the tall leg..

Expect to revisit your alignment just like zenny.

Last edited:

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've taken more of an interest in my fitness the last 2 or 3 years, in the off season I do a weight lifting program with a lot of squats (every day is leg day), plus kitesurfing, running, and a bit of climbing and crossfit, during the seasons, I do more yoga.

I don't think weightlifting to an extreme level is necessary, but I think a good benchmark is if you can do multiple squat sets with the equivalent of your bodyweight on the bar. That's not going to make you massive, but it's a good level of strength. Doing squats will also improve your RoM. Every pro racer I see is basically a beast, they do a lot of plyo/agility stuff, but you can bet they do a lot of heavy lifts as well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
. Every pro racer I see is basically a beast, they do a lot of plyo/agility stuff, but you can bet they do a lot of heavy lifts as well.

Where's CTKook when we need him to blow up a website? :roflmao:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely not "dry land" training But last summer I did a lot of stand up paddle boarding which was an excellent core builder. I also went o a narrow ( 27 inch) race board which made a huge difference. Compared to the more touring oriented boards at 33 inch wide you really have to work on constantly varying 2 footed pressure if you want to stay upright in anything other than dead calm water. As a result it becomes much more similar to higher level skiing.

And anything that lets me work on fitness without having to use the gym is a positive!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have used dumbells and kettle bells (sp?) to intensify e.g. lunges and squats. Bells are great, easy to hold and handle to add some weight in different exercises. But it's important to make movements correct. I'm no expert, but have had my fingers slapped a few times..so I know.

Sponsor

Staff online