• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dropper Post for Trek EX8

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Suggestions? @dawgcatching..what would you have in stock? I believe it is a 31.6

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Fox Transfer actually seems to be holding up.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Tons of great options with a 31.6, I wouldn't get caught up in the 'durability' thing too much. Rock Shox is pretty legendary for 'issues', I've had three and other than a touch of yearly service and one mistake by me that broke a fitting, I've never been down and out for any time at all.
What I would avoid, personally, is any post that dosen't have infinite adjustment- as in a post with set drop amounts. The ability to micro adjust is really important to me in use.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My LBS has a constant rotation of Reverbs going back and forth for warranty repair work, though the latest version is holding up better. Shoot, even my little wife wore out a Reverb.

Not to say Mike's experiences are wrong, but given a choice, there are many other options out there. We're seeing the Transfer and Thompsons hold up the best.

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting V.2 of the wireless Magura Vyron. No cables! No hydraulics! V.1 is a little slow to respond, and the button is small, though it's housing is big. Lose-lose! They've addressed the button issue for the 2018 model year, and I expect to see the delay reduced dramatically next year.

There's always something with bike geekery!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Bontrager Drop Line has been performing with zero issues for me so far this year. Nice price point, too. I wish I had known you were looking, as I'd have sold you mine (it came stock with my bike but was too tall) for a screamin' deal!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Bontrager Drop Line has been performing with zero issues for me so far this year. Nice price point, too. I wish I had known you were looking, as I'd have sold you mine (it came stock with my bike but was too tall) for a screamin' deal!

Funny, the Bontrager post that came is on her bike is also too tall...part of the reason we started considering a dropper. Sure we can cut it down but a dropper would be better.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, the Bontrager post that came is on her bike is also too tall...part of the reason we started considering a dropper. Sure we can cut it down but a dropper would be better.
Oh, new bike! Fun!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Fox Transfer has got to be the most universally liked post. the "performance" level is perfectly fine.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yep, not that you should buy from Jenson, but this one would work just fine unless your seatpost won't allow the depth. The amount of travel will depend on what you want to do with the post. Is it just Xc type riding? then a 100mm is probably fine.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Transfer-Performance-External-Post

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
I have Giant Contact SL and Lev Ti droppers on my bikes. Cartridges are user replaceable on the Giant and the Lev is fully rebuildable. The Fox looks good as well, you don't need Kashima coating, they weight the same, save your money. Wolftooth is the best remote as it works with any cable mounting.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
No reason, I just put a link up I wasn't suggesting where to buy. @dawgcatchnig may sell them and he's a sponsor. Scott sells about 10x more bikes than skis. Most people just know him for skis.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had to replace my Rock Shox Reverb Stealth when it finally blew up after 3 years. My LBS highly recommened the Bontrager Drop Line and it has been flawless. It is also much easier to service than the Reverb.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What length post do you guys need? What diameter? I have a Reverb 125mm 31.6 that I can sell you cheap.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What length post do you guys need? What diameter? I have a Reverb 125mm 31.6 that I can sell you cheap.
One of @dawgcatching's guys was supposed to have ordered one for us...if that didn't happen, will let you know.

Sponsor