• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill Bit - Hole in Shank

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
With the start of an upcoming season, I was given a drill bit from a friend. To help with the local junior racing I gladly took the bit off of his hands. I've used other bits but just maybe have never noticed but...

On the shank of the bit was a pass-through hole. Does this have a reason to be there? Or was it just part of the manufacturing process?

Attachments

• Bit Shank Hole 1 Large.jpeg
    Bit Shank Hole 1 Large.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Bit Shank Hole 2 Large.jpeg
    Bit Shank Hole 2 Large.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 16

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably part of the machining process. It could also be used to hang the bit on a storage rack.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
If the bit is stuck, you can insert a rod through the hole and rotate the bit with more torque than a drill can apply.
The hole might be used in the manufacturing process to hold the bit during finishing (painting, anodizing, whatever).

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
If the bit is stuck, you can insert a rod through the hole and rotate the bit with more torque than a drill can apply.
Not likely. That is a 1/2" shank on that bit, which would make the hole smaller than 1/8"

TS
Snuckerpooks

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Probably part of the machining process. It could also be used to hang the bit on a storage rack.
It's a pretty small hole so I figured the same too.

But then looking at the hole I was like... "I have never seen a chuck with a bit pass-through locking mechanism. But I'm not someone who uses tools a lot either. Might want to check..."

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The hole is there to make it into a necklace.

SkiTechs can wear the drill bit around the neck as a sense of pride/reward to wear around the shop for the day.….when they do a flawless install/or ski repair, they can wear it like the “turnover chain” in college football or the “home run chain” in college baseball.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hole is there to make it into a necklace.

SkiTechs can wear the drill bit around the neck as a sense of pride/reward to wear around the shop for the day.….when they do a flawless install/or ski repair, they can wear it like the “turnover chain” in college football or the “home run chain” in college baseball.
Conversely, it could be "the bit of shame", for a bad mount. Beware the bit of shame! Especially if they've accumulated several.

Sponsor

Staff online