• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review DPS Wailer 112RP2 Pure 184, quick impressions

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Got a chance to ski these boards last Sun at Sugar Bowl. I own a 190 version of the first generation of Wailer 112RP, so I was curious how the second generation compares. I skied the Pure version before and actually preferred the heavier Hybrid construction for its damper feel on snow. Again I was curious how the new version of the pure construction compares. Thanks to @Bobalooski for offering a test pair for a spin. The conditions ranges from nice groomers to soft bumps off piste to occasional powder in the trees. Ski mounted with Aattack 13, I ended up being more or less right on line.

I will focus this review on the differences between the old version and the new, so first let me be clear about what this ski is and is not. Wailer112RPs have always been an amazingly capable and surprisingly versatile soft snow skis, and that has not changed. It's not a good fit for the all-mountain ski category, despite what DPS marketìng says, although it's quite good on groomers, the relatively short running length and wide body does show its limitations on hardpack, but again, this is simply not what this ski was designed for.

Compared to the original 112RP, the new version has a fairly similar tip rocker, but the tail rocker is lower, this is a good thing. I was expecting to wheelie out on the 184 on almost every turn, I didn't. The added tail does give the feeling of bigger platform, but the running surface is short, so this 184 ski still feels more like a 172-178 ski.

The biggest surprise for me was the new Pure construction, it now feels significantly more damp than the original Pure. The payoff is significant, you get a ski that feels pretty normal, but now has a lower swing weight. Soft bumps become ridiculously easy and as you start realizing that you can literally turn on a dime, the ski actively encourages reckless skiing in the trees. At the end of the day we had to get to the race awards really quickly, so my daughter and I basically had to point it. The previous Pure would be scary in that situation, this one felt almost comfortable. GS race ski it was not, and I would still much rather do it on my Bonafides (longer ski with plenty of metal), but it behaves as expected from a wide ski with a tight sidecut- stable when making turns, much less so when just straightlining. Prior to that I was able to find a totally untracked powder line on the outskirts of the ski area and there it was vintage DPS- reliable strong float, effortless turn initiation, this is what this ski was born to do.

In the past I thought that people should go for the Pure version only if they were planning to mount them with tech bindings and take them uphill, the reduced weight carried a distinct performance and feel disadvantage. The cheaper and more damp Hybrid just made a lot more sense for resort skiing. I feel differently for this next generation of Pure, it looks like performance and feel gap has been narrowed down or eliminated, and now, if you can afford it, it may be worth trading up to the Pure for the reduced swing weight and the resulting boost in quickness.

Who is this ski for: people seeking versatile quick ski for soft cut up snow and exceptional powder performance.
Who is this ski not for: if you like to charge Mach3 at any conditions.

3-words review: the real ninja sticks.

thefortrees

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Nice review - this is helpful information. I'm considering a pair of the 112RP Pure3, and am conflicted about a few things. I'm 5'10", 185lbs, and an aggressive skier. I tend to plow through heavy or chopped up snow, so I like damp skis in these conditions. I like to ski fast through trees, so a lively ski here is nice. In big, open lines, I like to go top speed and make huge arcing turns.

I'm planning to use these as 90% touring with the Cast Si&i binding setup, 10% inbounds (only on deep days and big lines).I really like my 180 cm Bonafides.

A couple questions:
- Would I be better off with the 184cm or 190cm 112RP?
- Do you think I'd be happy with these, or should I consider the stiffer 112RPC at 190cm?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just going to mention the RPC and I see mentioned it yourself.
FYI: from what I have read at TGR forums, the RPC will be discontinued after this season, so if it is on your brain, you may want to snag one before supply dries up. I have read comments (over at TGR) that RPC owners feel it isn't much less versatile/nimble than the RP/RP2 but prefer its "charging" capabilities. Maybe worth heading over there to research/search RPC, but be advised it can be a harsh crowd over there.

Also, for what you are describing for your ski needs, have you considered the V-Werks Katana or BMT series ?
It is not a big-powder ski, but more all/big-mountain type, yet low swing-weight, damper than the DPS.
"Officially" a Marker binding is recommend for the V-Werks because of the construction under the feet, but many have mounted non-Marker, both alpine & tech bindings, without issue.

I guess the choice also depends how much value/requirements you put towards going up-hill vs down-hill.

~ Andy

thefortrees

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was just going to mention the RPC and I see mentioned it yourself.
FYI: from what I have read at TGR forums, the RPC will be discontinued after this season, so if it is on your brain, you may want to snag one before supply dries up. I have read comments (over at TGR) that RPC owners feel it isn't much less versatile/nimble than the RP/RP2 but prefer its "charging" capabilities. Maybe worth heading over there to research/search RPC, but be advised it can be a harsh crowd over there.

Also, for what you are describing for your ski needs, have you considered the V-Werks Katana or BMT series ?
It is not a big-powder ski, but more all/big-mountain type, yet low swing-weight, damper than the DPS.
"Officially" a Marker binding is recommend for the V-Werks because of the construction under the feet, but many have mounted non-Marker, both alpine & tech bindings, without issue.

I guess the choice also depends how much value/requirements you put towards going up-hill vs down-hill.

~ Andy

I haven't looked into the V-Werks Katana or BMT. Reading up on the BMT, it sounds very interesting...

Weight is definitely a key decision point for me, but I also want something on the stiffer and damper side. My current touring setup is K2 Annex 108s with Salomon Guardians. This worked fine for the past 2 seasons as I've started touring, but the setup is way too heavy for longer tours. I burnt myself out a few days this season.

Sounds like the BMT won't float as well in deep powder as the RP series, but all of the other characteristics are exactly what I'm looking for. If only they made the perfect, no-compromise ski, eh?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski vwerks katanas with g3 ions, ahs the skis are great. No way I would consider the dps, either rp it rpc.

The carbon katana skis almost like a metal one, but light fur the uphill.

It's more torsionally stiff than the bmt, so it's more versatile, holds a great edge on ice, and great in powder.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid