• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I walked the Leadville Disc Golf Course today with 2 friends that played.

20170806_111210.jpg

I promptly slept for a couple hours after rerturning. My lungs and legs still function.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
get back to normal asap!!!!

good to hear your improving.

pete

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@Doug Briggs I feel ya.
I'll give you the advice that others gave me on Epic when I posted about broken ribs and clavicle 6 years ago.
Don't laugh, don't cough and for goodness sake, don't sneeze!
In about a month you'll be able to laugh and cough but sneezes will still hurt.
In about 2 months you'll forget that you had broken ribs, and something will remind you.
In a year you'll finally be able to forget about it.
*When I broke my ribs, @Philpug took me to the Rib Cook Off. NOT COOL!

Heal well and breathe easy.
Sounds like pretty good advice from someone who's been there done that. I don't get the rib cook off not being cool though. I always use busted up ribs as good excuse to stuff my face with the ingredients I need for re-construction.

I've busted mine a few times, never more than two at a time though. First time was pretty painful, once the adrenalin wore off. The last time I only broke one, and spent a small fortune on vokda to keep me moshing for the rest of the day, and scotch to get me through the night, but it healed up pretty quick, took about a month.. Time before that my lung was bruised so bad I felt it for six months.

Usually once the bones begin to nit the pain goes away (unless you laugh or sneeze). Gotta say the novelty wears off.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Doug, glad to read you're feeling better. Best wishes for a quick return to action.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Sorry this happened. Best wishes for a good recovery.

I had a spill off a MTB last September. Landed on top of bike. Luckly I was going slow but scraped both legs just below the knees.
No trip to Hospital was needed. Did have to do PT for 2 months as one knee swelled up funny. All was fine for ski season.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just saw this. Hope you are on your way to a speedy recovery

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Usually once the bones begin to nit the pain goes away (unless you laugh or sneeze). Gotta say the novelty wears off.

Displaced broken ribs usually don't "knit" back together. Instead, the ends generally calcify so the points aren't pricking you. If they're not displaced, they frequently are just cracked.

Neither situation is any fun, though.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Fortunately, in my case the ribs were broken, but not displaced.

Since this has popped to the top I'll add that after 4 weeks I got back on a brand new bike and picked up where I left off the biking season. I've even taken some rides down the (now) infamous 'Super DH Part' of the Upper Flume. No PRs on it with the new bike, but 2nd best. So much for slowing down and taking it easy.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I know that your support aided my recovery.

20170910_130025_Boreas Pass Road.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online