• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah David’s Excellent pre-Gathering Road Trip

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley or Snowbasin are not normally on the way from Seattle to Tahoe, but in the realm of complex calculations known as SRTRM (Ski Road Trip Rationalization Mathematics) it made perfect sense. I left Seattle Feb 23 and made it to my AirBnB at Elkhorn Village that evening, with no inclement weather the entire drive.

Seattle Ridge viewed from the Lookout lodge.
IMG_2546.jpeg

The groomers were firm, perfect for my shiny new E Race Pros.
Not too many people going down Upper Broadway.
IMG_2550.jpeg

Just below the Roundhouse, looking into town.
IMG_2552.jpeg

Lower Flying Squirrel looking up
IMG_2556.jpeg

And looking down. Please note the crowds, they were awful.
IMG_2557.jpeg

Upper College. Again, crowds, crowds, crowds.
IMG_2558.jpeg

Limelight.
IMG_2560.jpeg

Top of Greyhawk at the end of the day. Wide open and you can go as fast as you want.
IMG_2562.jpeg

They’ve realigned the lifts at Warm Springs, the new Warm Spring 6 pack bottom terminal is where the old Greyhawk bottom terminal was, and a mid-station unloads where the Greyhawk top terminal was before heading to the top at Lookout. The new Flying Squirrel lift (replacing the old fixed grip version that had a fire a few years ago) bottom terminal is where the old Warm Springs was, and continues up a bit higher than Frenchman’s.

Also the new replacement for the old Cold Springs lift is called Broadway, and it’s further down the drainage. This results in the Broadway run being much longer, and an excellent low angle groomer (I like to think of it as a cleansing run). It also serves as a collector run for the expanded glades that are reached from the top of Seattle Ridge. That area needed more snow than there has been this year, though I did take a run through the trees there. But only one, because it really needs more snow.

I spent two days at Sun Valley, at the end of skiing the second day I drove to Eden/Wolf Creek for a 3 day camp at Snowbasin.

Snowbasin from the top of John Paul. The more I ski there the more I love this place, the views of the rocks and peaks from up close is amazing. The snow was much better at Snowbasin that Sun Valley; even though it had been warm for a day or two, after cooling overnight and being groomed, the snow was nice and chalky.
IMG_2565.jpeg

IMG_2566.jpeg

We did a lot of drills on speed control on Wildflower.

Clouds
IMG_2569.jpeg

And sun, moments later.
IMG_2571.jpeg

Needles run, with the Needle in the background.
IMG_2573.jpeg

From Strawberry, a short hike and a traverse and you’re looking down Lone Tree.
IMG_2574.jpeg

Clinic leader Herb and fellow student/client Gordon about to dive into Lone Tree. The snow was not as good as we hoped.
IMG_2575.jpeg

Start the same hike, go a bit higher, and you traverse around the back side of the same peak.
IMG_2576.jpeg

This is turning to the left of the last pic, looking out over Ogden, and at least two other states.
IMG_2577.jpeg

After traversing around the peak, Gavin, the owner of the school (Snow Performance) giving us pointers about dropping into the Cirque.
IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpeg

Don’t worry, I crushed it. You can see the Middle Bowl lift top terminal, and the Needles lodge at the left.
IMG_2580.jpeg

Somewhere on Strawberry.
IMG_2581.jpeg

In between sunny and beautiful groomer days, there was a very cold and windy day with 4” fresh powder. Nearly froze my face. Don’t care, it was awesome snow.

After the camp, in which many skills were refined, I had a free ski day, so met up with @AmyPJ, her Ski Diva friend Carol, and her local friend Becky.
IMG_2583.jpeg

Selfie, just to prove I was there,
IMG_2584.jpeg

I spent the night in Sandy, and then went to Alta Snowbird Brighton Solitude Deer Valley. Due to high winds, Empire and Lady Morgan were closed, and only Sultan was running on Bald Mt in the morning, after noon they opened Wasatch as well.

Stein’s
IMG_2587.jpeg

The lift line at Sultan got much bigger than this, and it wasn’t even a powder day.
IMG_2590.jpeg

I still got a lot of turns, and since I hadn’t been at the at the Mountaineer lift before, finished the day there, where there were no lift lines.

Seven days of skiing, most of it in sunny weather on groomers. Tools: E Race Pro, Blossom AM77, DPS Pagoda Piste 94C. I haven’t used my Billy Goats yet on this trip; that may change once I get to Tahoe.

There is a storm warning starting tonight, and of course I’m driving from SLC to Reno tomorrow. Let’s see how long it takes me to get there.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice trip. Too bad most of the snow is coming all at once. Should be a great week in Tahoe to end it though.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So good to see you and get some runs in! I hope the wind doesn’t blow you across the desert—it’s insane here today!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great write up.
good luck with drive Across NV to Tahoe.

So good to see you and get some runs in! I hope the wind doesn’t blow you across the desert—it’s insane here today!
So about that:

David’s Not-So-Excellent Adventures driving from SLC to Reno.

OMFG!!!

As soon as I got on I-215 in SLC and then I-80, it was clear that a 7+ hour drive was going to take a bit longer. If the speed limit was 75, I was doing 65. The wind gusts were steady until past the airport, then gusts kicked in unpredictably. The speed limit was 80, sometimes I had to slow down to 60. And I’m not typically a wussie driver. so instead of Tahoe’s Snowmaggedon, I was driving through Windpocolypse. Then, Tumbleweedpocolypse. I kid you not, several miles of constant tumbleweeds zipping across the freeway. It looked like and invasion of Tribbles, and they kept coming so I’m sure they were reproducing. When I stopped at a rest stop, I pulled some tumbleweed remnants out of my front grill.

Then, Salt Flatpocolypse near Bonneville. It was like a whiteout. Windshield wipers were not helpful until I was past it.

Then, some rocks or other debris hit my driver’s side view mirror, and knocked it off kilter. When I stopped at the next rest stop, the front outer casing was broken and most of it missing. I checked the wiring connections for the little motors that control the side view mirrors, and the blind spot monitor seemed to be working.

Then I hit Snowpocolypse between Wendover and Elko, three mountain passes where there was snow on the freeway, with the wind still blowing and crappy visibility. Fortunately I have my snow tires, made steady progress and actually started passing vehicles for a change. When visibility improved and the snow cleared up from the freeway, I made some good time.

Snow again. And again. I made it to Winnemucca, filled up gas (which I did in Elko as well just to make sure I always had enough fuel), stopped at a grocery store and bought a sandwich and a roll of duct tape to patch up the side view mirror.

After Winnemucca, the driving was easier sunshine, dry roads, less wind, and almost no traffic until almost Reno. Where there is snow. Doesn’t even look like Reno. I’m checked into my room, looking out at downtown and it’s pretty amazing.

Here’s maybe where I should mentioned that previously, on my way from Ogden to Sandy, something hit my windshield, and there is a crack that started from the left (driver’s side). That was Thursday. It’s now Saturday, and it has grown. Friday afternoon I checked for any auto glass places that could fit me in on short notice, either Sandy or Reno. No such luck. I’ve been watching it since I left Sandy. Oh well, that will be a $200 deductible for a windshield replacement when I get home. I think it will be fine until then, given what I just drove through.

In any event, I think it took me 9 hours to do the drive. Time for food, hot tub, and monitor the weather obsessively to see if there’s maybe a small change of skiing tomorrow.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@David Chaus that borderlines a heroic effort! Last year I watched a semi rolled on its side around Bonneville flat through my rear view mirror in the high wind.

Do what @Near Nyquist does, keep the windshield crack as souvenir for...5 years. Still going strong.

Get some rest. See you in a few days.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a feeling it was going to be one hell of an adventure. I mean, the winds on I-80 are no joke during a more “normal” storm. This is not a normal storm. Glad you made it even if your car got beat up!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So about that:

David’s Not-So-Excellent Adventures driving from SLC to Reno.

OMFG!!!

As soon as I got on I-215 in SLC and then I-80, it was clear that a 7+ hour drive was going to take a bit longer. If the speed limit was 75, I was doing 65. The wind gusts were steady until past the airport, then gusts kicked in unpredictably. The speed limit was 80, sometimes I had to slow down to 60. And I’m not typically a wussie driver. so instead of Tahoe’s Snowmaggedon, I was driving through Windpocolypse. Then, Tumbleweedpocolypse. I kid you not, several miles of constant tumbleweeds zipping across the freeway. It looked like and invasion of Tribbles, and they kept coming so I’m sure they were reproducing. When I stopped at a rest stop, I pulled some tumbleweed remnants out of my front grill.

Then, Salt Flatpocolypse near Bonneville. It was like a whiteout. Windshield wipers were not helpful until I was past it.

Then, some rocks or other debris hit my driver’s side view mirror, and knocked it off kilter. When I stopped at the next rest stop, the front outer casing was broken and most of it missing. I checked the wiring connections for the little motors that control the side view mirrors, and the blind spot monitor seemed to be working.

Then I hit Snowpocolypse between Wendover and Elko, three mountain passes where there was snow on the freeway, with the wind still blowing and crappy visibility. Fortunately I have my snow tires, made steady progress and actually started passing vehicles for a change. When visibility improved and the snow cleared up from the freeway, I made some good time.

Snow again. And again. I made it to Winnemucca, filled up gas (which I did in Elko as well just to make sure I always had enough fuel), stopped at a grocery store and bought a sandwich and a roll of duct tape to patch up the side view mirror.

After Winnemucca, the driving was easier sunshine, dry roads, less wind, and almost no traffic until almost Reno. Where there is snow. Doesn’t even look like Reno. I’m checked into my room, looking out at downtown and it’s pretty amazing.

Here’s maybe where I should mentioned that previously, on my way from Ogden to Sandy, something hit my windshield, and there is a crack that started from the left (driver’s side). That was Thursday. It’s now Saturday, and it has grown. Friday afternoon I checked for any auto glass places that could fit me in on short notice, either Sandy or Reno. No such luck. I’ve been watching it since I left Sandy. Oh well, that will be a $200 deductible for a windshield replacement when I get home. I think it will be fine until then, given what I just drove through.

In any event, I think it took me 9 hours to do the drive. Time for food, hot tub, and monitor the weather obsessively to see if there’s maybe a small change of skiing tomorrow.
Thanks for the sneak preview. Glad you're safe! Hoping things calm down in the next 12-24 hrs. Vince and I have a late departure and are doing same drive tomorrow night, except we're planning to stop in Winnemucca, then arrive AM around mid-day Monday if all goes well??? Looking forward to gaining an hour at NV line.

Sponsor