• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dammit! I demoed a Yeti SB5.5c today Anyone else see unicorns?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
i also agree the bike is exacting

I think I'm so used to this with the Truth that anything else feels sloppy. Good point about the wider tires adding cush. I know my tires are heavy, but now that I have them, I'll leave them till they fall apart - which historically has taken a looooong time.

I do forget that I'm on the short end, with corresponding ape factor (and men typically have longer arms than women at a given height, anyway). So I suppose the handlebar width issue is legit. I was pleasantly surprised with how little I had to swap to make my bike work for me - grips (no bike was going to come with Ergon paddle grips, anyway), saddle, tires, cranks. Then the ratchet as a bonus upgrade.

What's the current thinking on hydraulic vs mechanical for droppers? I could have sworn my old one was hydraulic - but I don't have it with me to check.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Those seem cool, but I wonder how long it would take for my sweat to drip in there and seize it into a mass of rust. Not very long is my guess. Plus ramming 100g of stuff down my head tube might push the bike over 30 lbs! :eek: Who cares about the fact that I'd be carrying that stuff on my person anyway. :rolleyes:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Those seem cool, but I wonder how long it would take for my sweat to drip in there and seize it into a mass of rust. Not very long is my guess. Plus ramming 100g of stuff down my head tube might push the bike over 30 lbs! :eek: Who cares about the fact that I'd be carrying that stuff on my person anyway. :rolleyes:

Pfft every body knows that the weight of the bike is all that matters. 15 gold bricks in your backpack....no problem as long you save 150grams on your new handlebars

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You know, I'd been carefully considering whether to load up 1.5L, 2L, or even more in my Camelback. Then I realized I was agonizing over a couple of pounds. I consider the extra weight "training."

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I am not someone who worries about bike weight, but bike weight and 'total system weight' ARE different. I'd rather ride a 30 lbs bike with a 10 lbs pack than a 35 lbs bike with a 5 lbs pack. The feel is noticeable on the bike, less so on the back, at least for me

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Demoed a Pivot Trail 29 today. Super fun bike. Chainstays are super short and really low bb. It was nice on the switchbacks but boy that front end wanted to come up around some of the steeper switchbacks and numerous pedal strikes on a pretty non technical trail. Liked air though and as long as I had a long view in front of me so did I. Wouldn't mind trying the Switchblade in a 27.5 with 2.8's

Oh and the trails in Eagle kick arse!

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Dropped off the Trail 29 at the shop today and they mentioned that there was free Yeti and Spot demo going on over at Green Mountain. Since the traffic back up I70 was at standstill I decided to head over. I got on the Yeti 4.5 for quick lap while waiting for the Spot Mayhem set up 27+. Loved the 4.5 more than the sb5 but the bike that's likely going to end up under me is the Spot Mayhem set 27+. It was perfect although I will try the Pivot Trail 29 set 27+ since it's much cheaper and still a great pedaling bike. I'm pretty sure I'll end up the Mayhem set up with 40mm ID rims running 2.8 at 14/15 psi. Set it and forget it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dropped off the Trail 29 at the shop today and they mentioned that there was free Yeti and Spot demo going on over at Green Mountain. Since the traffic back up I70 was at standstill I decided to head over. I got on the Yeti 4.5 for quick lap while waiting for the Spot Mayhem set up 27+. Loved the 4.5 more than the sb5 but the bike that's likely going to end up under me is the Spot Mayhem set 27+. It was perfect although I will try the Pivot Trail 29 set 27+ since it's much cheaper and still a great pedaling bike. I'm pretty sure I'll end up the Mayhem set up with 40mm ID rims running 2.8 at 14/15 psi. Set it and forget it.

I was at Green Mountain during their demo today. Why didn't I see you? :huh::(

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I mentioned this in my 170 thread, but I had a very brief demo of the Pivot Firebird in Lyons today. Nice to get a chance at a factory demo for a longer-travel bike. I showed up during the "reservations only" morning because I was almost certain they wouldn't have a size small Firebird reserved. And I was right!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
So I was patient all season long and lo the end of season sales hit and I just pulled the trigger on the Spot Mayhem frame in a large Red. Now to spend the winter picking up parts for the bike. Hmmm

27.5+ or 29?

I'm initially thinking 29 with 2.4 out back and a 2.5 or 2.6 up front.

Pike or Fox?......130 or 140?

So many decisions....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, its not like you to be stopped in your tracks by 1 1/2 inches.
I haven't compared the two so I won't give advice, but....can't wait to see what you get.
:popcorn:

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats! Fork-wise, either is fine really but I would go 140 personally. What’s the shock? You might as well match up the two shock brands. 29vs 27.5 is personal preference. I am very happy with my 27.5 with 2.6’s for a bit more quickness on the switchbacks and a wheel height of 28.25” but the 9’r is supreme for smooth rolling extra clearance and a slight advantage on the climb.

Sponsor

Staff online