• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dammit! I demoed a Yeti SB5.5c today Anyone else see unicorns?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
But don't handle tight switchbacks as well as 27.5. But a 27.5 mounted with maxxis 2.8's are 2.6" wide but 28.3" tall.

Ron at 20 psi what bike has more tire on the ground(assuming same tread)
A. 2.4 29er
B. 2.6 27.5
C. 3.0 27.5
D 4.0 27.5
E. 3.0 29er
F. 5.0 26er
G. They all have the same amount of tire on the ground

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think I know the answer ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Keep the Dare and just got a good trail bike. Or better still, put it on Craigslist too and if you manage to sell it for a good price, then get something like the Julianna Strega.

Ahah. Looks like I'd want the Nomad for the same reason I would choose the straight SB5 over the Beti:

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/first-ride-new-santa-cruz-nomad-4-and-juliana-strega/

"The Strega has a different shock tune: a Low-Low instead of a Mid-Mid. This is because, typically, women weigh less than men and inherently set their suspension with lower pressure values. Therefore, their compression and rebound damping must be less intense in order to work better with said lower pressures."

This brings up all the same issues for me that I have with skis, only more so. The main difference in women's versions of bikes right now seems to be "tuned for lighter riders" - well, screw you, too! (Not you. You know what I mean). Anyway this seems dumb, as there are certainly lighter riders who are men, just as there are heavier riders who are women. But while women are accustomed to dealing with "unisex" gear, men are less likely to buy a bike that's marketed to women.

Which is another reason to choose the straight SB5. Broader appeal for resale when the day comes.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Maybe, but lighter damping might be OK for "less aggressive" riders. It just changes where the range of damping goes, you'd assume there is overlap between the two. Either way, it is exactly the same as the Nomad, so yeah, a Nomad would be sick too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Maybe, but lighter damping might be OK for "less aggressive" riders. It just changes where the range of damping goes, you'd assume there is overlap between the two. Either way, it is exactly the same as the Nomad, so yeah, a Nomad would be sick too.

Hmm. I clearly need to understand more about shocks =/

It's too bad I don't have another motorcycle to sell.

Does it count as stealing if you sell your husband's motorcycle to buy another downhill bike for yourself? .... asking for a friend ...

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Does it count as stealing if you sell your husband's motorcycle to buy another downhill bike for yourself? .... asking for a friend

When my now ex-wife decided to call it quits, there was one thing that was non-negotiable. Look at my profile picture and guess what that was.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, FWIW, I rode the Trek 18+ miles yesterday, climbing 2500 or so feet, and never once felt the need for a different bike. I DID let some air out of the tires for the descent, which it turns out, didn't end up being the descent since we changed course from the planned 10 mile ride and rode, well, 18, but I do think I'm happier running 14-15psi in the tires.
The big wheels are still cumbersome at times, but damn, I'm lucky to own such a nice bike!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The big wheels are still cumbersome at times, but damn, I'm lucky to own such a nice bike!

You should put a pair of carbon wheels on your birthday or Christmas list!

Absent that, given your size, American Classic Wide Lightnings are aluminum wheels that are comparable in weight to most carbon wheels. Flexy for big guys, but that's not you. You might even enjoy a little flex compared to the brick-like rigidity of many carbon wheels (Enve, anybody?).

Reactions: Ron

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You should put a pair of carbon wheels on your birthday or Christmas list!

Absent that, given your size, American Classic Wide Lightnings are aluminum wheels that are comparable in weight to most carbon wheels. Flexy for big guys, but that's not you. You might even enjoy a little flex compared to the brick-like rigidity of many carbon wheels (Enve, anybody?).
I'd love some lighter wheels. How much weight savings are we talking about here (assuming I stay with Bontrager tires?)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love some lighter wheels. How much weight savings are we talking about here (assuming I stay with Bontrager tires?)

IMO, Trek shortchanges wheels a bit, and makes up for it in other component areas (changing significantly for 2018), so I'd be surprised if you couldn't save 800 grams of weight. Six hundred without a doubt.

I don't personally like going too light on tires. Too many potential headaches in the form of pinch flats, sidewall tears, and regular old punctures for 50 grams of weight savings.

I chase rolling resistance a lot more than plain old weight: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Sadly, he doesn't ever seem to test Bontrager mtb tires.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, Trek shortchanges wheels a bit, and makes up for it in other component areas (changing significantly for 2018), so I'd be surprised if you couldn't save 800 grams of weight. Six hundred without a doubt.

I don't personally like going too light on tires. Too many potential headaches in the form of pinch flats, sidewall tears, and regular old punctures for 50 grams of weight savings.

I chase rolling resistance a lot more than plain old weight: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Sadly, he doesn't ever seem to test Bontrager mtb tires.
I've been really happy with my Bontrager tires so don't see those changing, bonus is they ARE fairly light (at least compared to some Maxxis High Rollers I once bought.) Wheels and hubs, though, I'm intrigued by the idea of changing those.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wheels and hubs are expensive, and you already love your bike! /wetblanket

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, Trek shortchanges wheels a bit, and makes up for it in other component areas

This is a LONG-standing tactic adopted by many brands over the years - mountain and road. Typical consumer is all about the drive train and has no clue about wheels, which are much more important imo.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
This is a LONG-standing tactic adopted by many brands over the years - mountain and road. Typical consumer is all about the drive train and has no clue about wheels, which are much more important imo.

They are also pretty personal, so putting a pricey wheelset on- raising the price- with a component that may well be swapped for the purchaser's preference, doesn't make much sense.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wheels and hubs are expensive, and you already love your bike! /wetblanket
I know. It really makes no sense, I'm just intrigued to see and feel what a difference they can make.
I had no idea wheels and hubs could make THAT much of a difference. Maybe I should continue with my "ignorance is bliss" train of thought, since I really CANNOT afford to upgrade something so expensive.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know. It really makes no sense, I'm just intrigued to see and feel what a difference they can make.
I had no idea wheels and hubs could make THAT much of a difference. Maybe I should continue with my "ignorance is bliss" train of thought, since I really CANNOT afford to upgrade something so expensive.

As much as I am easily upsold into very expensive bikes - I've managed to avoid upgrading wheels (after purchase) for exactly this reason. Although to be fair, I managed that last time by buying snazzy hand-built wheels with Chris King hubs in matchy-match colors for my bike.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
there's a reason why many bike brands are offering upgrades for wheel sets. Ibis has a great option to buy a low build out with their high quality 742 carbons, santa cruz offers upgrades as does Yeti. @Tony S is right though, Most people won't buy a lower build out even though its pretty easy to change out drive train and brakes later on (especially buying closeouts over the winter) and roll on a good set of wheels from the start. Even a NX or SLC setup works well-enough but can be changed out over time.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
there's a reason why many bike brands are offering upgrades for wheel sets. Ibis has a great option to buy a low build out with their high quality 742 carbons, santa cruz offers upgrades as does Yeti. @Tony S is right though, Most people won't buy a lower build out even though its pretty easy to change out drive train and brakes later on (especially buying closeouts over the winter) and roll on a good set of wheels from the start. Even a NX or SLC setup works well-enough but can be changed out over time.

I was just chatting with our local freeride shop about longer travel bikes (bad Monique!). My general perspective on a gravity-oriented bike is that I might as well buy it with cheaper components - they're going to break and be replaced, anyway. And much like ski bindings, lower weight components aren't always the best choice.

I mean, not constantly, but maintaining a gravity bike is much more expensive than a "regular" bike in terms of destruction, even when you're a fairly tame rider. I'm still baffled by how I broke a chain in such a way that I took out several spokes on my rear wheel, and I think had to replace the derailleur as well. JRA, I swear!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to Outerbike in CB in August and demoing as many bikes as I can get on over the 3 days.

My got to list as it stands right now

Yeti SB5 and 4.5
Spot Mayhem and Rollick
Devinci Django
Pivot T429
Rocky Instinct
Evil Following

My research is saying 4.5 or Django. A friend who gets new bikes thrown at him and rides for few months and then sells and moves on says the first bike he's bought with his own money in years ( albeit highly discounted) is the Spot Mayhem. I'm intrigued, he's likes lots of bikes but have never heard him rave before. He's orders of magnitude a better rider though so who knows.

I'll keep riding my old Remedy till I make a decision, find a great deal on a frame and build it up.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I rode a unicorn today. Spot Mayhem. What a frickin machine. That living link is the real deal. The steep seat tube took two climbs to teach me not to move forward to the nose. Just stay in your normal riding position and go. Much easier to whip around than the tallboy and had a much firmer feeling mid-range on the suspension. Very active on climbs without any mushy feeling. I'm not a very good descender but my Strava times were better on both ups and downs today despite my lungs being on fire from allergies. This bike goes right to the top of my list. I'll be getting on the sb5c next week. I'll have one more demo after that and I may try the Spot Rollik. The Mayhem I rode had 2.35 tires but plenty of room for bigger tires. Looked like it would easily take a 2.5 maybe bigger. Another ride on it in the morning before it goes back:thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online