• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dammit! I demoed a Yeti SB5.5c today Anyone else see unicorns?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Holy Sh*t! This bike is unbeleivabley fricken amazing unicorns spitting rainbows out of its ass good.....:rocks:

I liked this bike A LOT, no, I loved it. ......

Even with 160 front, 140 rear, and a incredibly heavy build of 32 pounds and setup with minion dhf's it climbed nearly as well as the Ripley but still better than all other bikes. It handles eerily well with a balance and ease that no other bike i have ridden possesses. I did my usual test loop but went another 1/2 mile of climbing because I was in awe of how well this bike performs. The Switch Infinity is simply incredible. riding through the 2 rock gardens was a breeze and it just fit me so well that i could remain centered and just lean the bike into the turns and it was quite happy to flow so smoothly and predictably. Later in the ride i was playing around with loading the bike going into the naturally bermed turns and releasing to get the bike to whip through. even unclipped, i had so much control of the bike. It was easily the quickest bike of all i have tested in flowy twisty trails. It shouldn't but it is. Quicker and easier than the Ripley

So, I am looking for a new Large, they are sold out but if anyone has a line on one let me know. In the meantime, my LBS here will sell me the slx build. That means I need to put another 2500-3000 into it. It still may be a good deal. Thoughts?

I would put on carbon hoops regardless, but i would like to replace the group with a XO1 or possibly a new GX group. New carbon bars, stem. And shifters (Sram RSC's)

items in question although I didnt feel any deficiencies were the performance (not elite) fork and shock. Any comments on this as far as performance?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Did it have Fox?

Also, just wondering (and not trying to be argumentative) how do you know it climbed better? Do you mean faster/ more efficient or do you mean you cleared obstacles you could not on other bikes? Just asking because of how lower PSI/wider tires can feel slower and actually be faster.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Did it have Fox?

Also, just wondering (and not trying to be argumentative) how do you know it climbed better? Do you mean faster/ more efficient or do you mean you cleared obstacles you could not on other bikes? Just asking because of how lower PSI/wider tires can feel slower and actually be faster.

yes, its the non-Turq model so they are setup with Performance 36 forks and Performance shock. They worked just fine. The bike has only about 3 hours on it so it has been well-cared for.

all of the above and I do agree they really are faster . Naturally, it did take small extra effort for rolling with the 29's which are ponderously heavy but yes all of the above. In This case, the front 2.50 DHF was set at 20 psi, which actually felt pretty good. The ripley was paired up with 2.6 NN's at about 18 psi. And, yes again, I like lower PSI for deformation and grip.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the Yetis have a special feel, eh?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, I need to dig some but I think the 5.5 is more of what I want vs the 4.5 but that Infinity Switch is incredible.

@Tony S any idea of what tire will fit in the rear of the 4.5?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just did some rough measuring. I did not bother to remove the wheel. There is a WTB Trail Boss on there now. Nominally 2.25 but more like 2.5 at widest point by ruler and eyeball (not caliper). 3/8" remaining on each side and in front (to chainstay yoke).

I haven't posted updates since I got the bike. Been tweaking stuff. Short version, though I've never ridden with you: i think you might like the 5.5 better. The 4.5 is a freaking goat, but it does feel like a short travel bike compared with some of its peers ... which it is. I would call it an XC bike on steroids. Really good steroids. For my needs and terrain its a good fit.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
DAMMIT RON

Now I'm tempted, and you're obviously a jerk.

Glad you found a sweetheart!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yes, its the non-Turq model so they are setup with Performance 36 forks and Performance shock. They worked just fine. The bike has only about 3 hours on it so it has been well-cared for.

all of the above and I do agree they really are faster . Naturally, it did take small extra effort for rolling with the 29's which are ponderously heavy but yes all of the above. In This case, the front 2.50 DHF was set at 20 psi, which actually felt pretty good. The ripley was paired up with 2.6 NN's at about 18 psi. And, yes again, I like lower PSI for deformation and grip.

Minions compared to Nobby nics in any size range is not really a comparison. NIcs have never done it for me from a traction stand point. In our local trail system you never see anyone using them.

the entire Minion line has great designs, and the DHF is one of the best western dirt grip tires ever made. Most tires(lets say NN) look like someone just put a bunch of pretty shape on some rubber and called it good. The minions actually have purpose and tread blocks design from an actual engineering perspective.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Quick question; if I go with the 5.5, I will replace the group set with xo1 (including cranks) but was considering going with xt brakes. Can you properly run the Xt Brake Seamlessly with the xo1 shifter?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
If by seamlessly you mean with a single clamp, I kind of doubt it. There are plenty of guys CNCing stuff though, so I wouldn't rule it out!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S is your shock setup for xc or trail?

Heading over to get on a sb5 and hopefully a 4.5

Dunno. (Hazard of buying 2nd hand.) I have it on my to-do list to find out from Yeti.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Quick question; if I go with the 5.5, I will replace the group set with xo1 (including cranks) but was considering going with xt brakes. Can you properly run the Xt Brake Seamlessly with the xo1 shifter?

guides are better anyways........

I would personally run SRAM brakes and shimano shifting on bike if I was building from scratch. 5 years ago I would have said the opposite.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'm waffling between Hope and Shimano for the next build. Still too sour on SRAM brakes. No thanks.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Juicys were awful, but Guides.....

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
i was demoing a guide r yesterday that was so mushy due to heat. Xt's just feel good, i love the modulation and feathering

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
seems like @epic and I are on the same "magical mystery tour" of bikes. I know he;s a much better rider than I am and we have different needs but this is fun :)

@Tony S has finished his journey and I now understand the appeal of the Yeti; its exactly the same as clicking into a Stockli AX :thumb:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I'm waffling between Hope and Shimano for the next build. Still too sour on SRAM brakes. No thanks.

In the time since Guides came out I have warrantied an equal number of Sram vs. Shimano brakes. Both have occasional issues, but nothing like the prior Avids.

The Guides have much better modulation than any Shimano brakes.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
i was demoing a guide r yesterday that was so mushy due to heat. Xt's just feel good, i love the modulation and feathering

Those Guides weren't properly bled. There had to be some air still in the system. They should never feel mushy..

Sponsor