• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dalbello KR2 Canting (Not the Pro)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Pending fitment analysis, I'm considering the Dalbello Panterra as my next boot - this would be the 17/18 model that I believe @Philpug said will be 25% lighter.

My question is about canting any of the KR2 models with removable soles as I have needed 1* in my current xmax 120 shell. I know that will need to be reanalyzed, but just looking for some advance knowledge on any potential obstacles.

As to why this boot, Panterra because of the adjustability and 'uprightness' and I want to try the ankle buckle placement of a 3 piece. I have a some tibial bow and other issues on my right side, and even with boot work that side is always a battle of a bit loose with tongue push to the outside or foot nerve death, and the ankle vs. instep buckles are never right and I'm always messing with cuff tightness even with boosters. Left side is set and forget.

I have Zipfits now (Grand Prix) that would ideally go in the new boot - they are quite a bit of volume in my current shells. Anyway, the canting is primary question but figured I'd throw the rest of it out there for feedback.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Cantology plates may work, but why not just get the Kr2 Pro.....any modification you would need done you can do to a the Pro.....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do't have the catalogs with me but I don't recall the Pantera having a flat sole/shell integration so I doubt they will be Cantology compatible. Sadly most 100mm plus do not have the ability to be canted. I really do not undestand this industry some times.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Thanks for the inputs - that's what I was wondering as searches weren't coming up with good answers.

Sounds like I just need to look at the Pro. Is the entire KR2 line going on a diet next year? Zipfits are plenty heavy and having a light shell offset is nice, although I'll admit to liking the dampness of that liner, which isn't a concept I had previously attributed to liners.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@nay I'm not familiar with the KR's but on the Panterra there is an adjustment you can make to the cuff. Dalbello calls it canting. Look down just about the ankle bone and you will see a hex head for the adjustment. You can decide if it qualifies as canting for you. The 17/18 version is definitely lighter than the current Panterra. I love the current version and while it is heavy it is an extremely comfortable boot. I am not using the power wrap liner. I wonder if the new lighter version will ski any different?

If you decide to go with a Panterra and you stick with a 26.5 and your zipfits I just might be willing to work something out with you for the liner.

Just as an f.y.i. and you may already know this but Le Feet Lab in Winter Park specializes in Dalbello with Zipfit.

Reactions: nay

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah @nay is talking about real canting not cuff alignment. dalbello and every other boot manufactor out there mislabel that adjustment as canting when its just cuf alignment. They are not the same and do vastly different thing to a skiers alignment.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
yeah @nay is talking about real canting not cuff alignment. dalbello and every other boot manufactor out there mislabel that adjustment as canting when its just cuf alignment. They are not the same and do vastly different thing to a skiers alignment.

That's right - my cuff alignment is typically dead on in Salomon boots, but need about a degree at the sole to get the right ski flat.

Another boot of serious interest is the Salomon QST Pro 120/30. That new tongue/buckle design and serious low weight is very appealing, but looks like canting would be the same issue...

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay I'm not familiar with the KR's but on the Panterra there is an adjustment you can make to the cuff. Dalbello calls it canting. Look down just about the ankle bone and you will see a hex head for the adjustment. You can decide if it qualifies as canting for you. The 17/18 version is definitely lighter than the current Panterra. I love the current version and while it is heavy it is an extremely comfortable boot. I am not using the power wrap liner. I wonder if the new lighter version will ski any different?

If you decide to go with a Panterra and you stick with a 26.5 and your zipfits I just might be willing to work something out with you for the liner.

Just as an f.y.i. and you may already know this but Le Feet Lab in Winter Park specializes in Dalbello with Zipfit.

Thanks, I do know about Le Feet Lab - I almost started there years ago.

I don't think I'll fit in a 26.5 Dalbello - my son skis the Core that I had bought for myself and wasn't even close to fitting.

I think my Zipfit issue on my right boot may be extra omfit material holding ahead of my outer ankle bone forcing me just out of the heel pocket to the rear - I push outwards a bit on that side and may be pushing material where I don't want it. We had noticed this after I went back to my fitter but thought punching for some extra space would resolve it. Can be hard to tell, because you have to ski through each change as the liner settles in again, and it's possible this issue won't resolve as I'll take out material and then just drive more back to the same spot. Ugh.

It gets tiring to keep dealing with this and I'd like to get a hybrid boot more geared to variable offpiste and just ski the stock liner. I generally fit so well in Salomons that I want to get into a set of those QST to see how that endofit tongue works with my instep to shin. That boot is super interesting as something of a hybrid two/three piece.

But do skiers who need some canting alignment just ignore it in this type of boot?

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, I'm going to try and answer my own question. The QST Pro three buckle hybrid design is too intriguing, I always fit in a Salomon 26.5, and I found a deal on eBay new for $310 shipped for the 130 out of the U.K. (Freeze Pro Shop).

Review from ABB said that boot is completely flat laterally - no bias to getting up on an inside edge. Whatever that means, but could be less canting sensitive vs. my x-max 120's that are piste heritage. Or I could be selling a pair, but fair enough at that price to demo.

Will report back, first after seeing how my good arches and bony feet like the unique slope of that boot's roof.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
My $.02 on the KR2:

I'm currently in the KR2 Fusion, but have replaced the stock ID Max liner with a pair of lightly used Powerwraps. IIRC, the Powerwraps are stiffer than the ID Max, and also slightly thicker, which works better with my very low volume foot. Also IIRC, the ID liners that come with the KR2's are designed to be used with a foot bed VS the thicker Powerwrap which can be pretty snug with a foot bed.

I've tried just about every combination of stiffness wedge insert and tongue stiffness, and while I still ski the Fusion (mostly) stock, I'd probably recommend the Pro for the stiffer liner, and because you get both tongues and foot boards so you can satisfy your curiosity about all the possible configurations.

The one downside to the Pro as I see it is the lack of a replaceable sole. Looks like the Fusion even comes with the dura-grip rubber sole inserts now, which IMO should be incorporated into the Pro, but might compromise stiffness slightly?

Last I heard, the walk mode in the Lupo was kind of limited. Curious whether it's been improved on the Panterra, but not enough to actually try a pair just yet. FWIW, I didn't think I'd care for the more upright cuff on the KR2 VS the old Kryptons, but this has really turned out to be a non-issue. If anything, I prefer the more upright KR2. YMMV

Also FWIW, I didn't much care for the higher position (stiffer) forward lean wedge, or the stiffer "B" tongue. IMO both defeated the progressive flex of the boot, which again IMO is the hallmark of the 3-piece design. Maybe that's why I don't mind the more upright stance; because I can still induce plenty of forward lean/flex when I want to, but it's not bottomless like it was in the older Krypton/Rampage with the "C" tongue.

On a completely unrelated note; I broke the instep cable on my right boot at the top of my first run Sunday (and didn't have a spare in the car). I already had a crappy attitude, and this was almost all the excuse I needed to drive home and go for a bike ride. Instead I took a run to see how much not buckling the instep would bother me.
Turns out it didn't really bother me at all, my attitude improved, and I successfully completed a dozen runs with zero issues. I since swapped out the cable from a retired pair of Kryptons, and threw a spare in the trunk. This may be the happiest I've ever been with a pair of ski boots, although I am still an admitted compulsive buckle fiddler.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^Thanks for the input.

I just had a bit more work done on my Zipfits. Some material had collected in front of the ankle bone and wasn't moving into any lower volume spots, likely causing the major nerve issues. An injection of acetone to soften up the OmFit and some heat work to move to around and we'll see. Felt better in the shop, like everything does.

If that doesn't work I'm either changing shells or going Boot Doc injectable. The X-Max has been a good boot for me, and the off the shelf canting is something I fear giving up.

The QST is definitely an interesting boot, but with the shell and liner tongue integrated, not much can be done with it outside of a shell cook and my instep is a bit high as suggested in reviews. Probably will return or just sell locally at the price I paid, although good grief that thing is light. I think both boots weigh about what one of my x-Max plus Zipfit weigh.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
Dang, sounds like a science experiment!

I had 1 pair of foam liners that came with a pair of Lange WC140LF's. I had been skiing Langes for about a decade, and the foam liner by far provided the best fit. Shells cracked after 1.5 seasons like every other pair of Langes I've owned, and after squeezing Lange for a couple of warranty replacements finally made the switch to Dalbello. I remember being impressed by how much lighter the 1st pair of Krypton Pro ID's were than any Lange I'd ever owned.

Injectable liners are pretty amazing in their own right. My Langes weren't light, but plenty responsive. The Dalbellos OTOH are lighter, and fit my foot better, so fortunately I can get by with just a quick bake of the old Intuition liner.

Not quite as sexeh as my 1976-ish screaming yellow hot wax injected Hanson Avantis, but not all of us were lucky enough to experience a cracking wax bladder, or dry-rotting foam rubber liner in a "state of the art" ski boot...

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
well this thread is bouncing around in so many different directions i am not sure what the original question was

the KR2 models with replaceable soles are all compatible with cantology intra boot cant chips (made for the dalbello boots)
my next point is a question back... have i got this right?currently you are using a salomon x max a 98mm (admittedly not a slim 98mm) shell which has a low to medium instep.... why are you considering the Panterra, great boot that it is, i would consider it cavernous compared to the X Max... the the question i guess is, why are we talking about KR2 canting and considering Panterra.... the KR2 sounds like it would be a much better fit of the two dalbellos if you are currently in the X Max

just sayin';)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah once you plate your pros you have replaceable soles.

my Pros have 800 days on them.....and I never use cat tracks

Sponsor