• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Complain about Spring thread

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know the seasons end is coming but but but....... I'm not ready yet (insert childish stomp of foot on floor and pout)

My season just started, and it's almost over ... (Yes, yes, there will be snow, but will the type of terrain I love be open? Hiking is a lot to ask of my knee right now - not really going to happen.)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My season just started, and it's almost over ... (Yes, yes, there will be snow, but will the type of terrain I love be open? Hiking is a lot to ask of my knee right now - not really going to happen.)

Psst.

A-Basin Spring Pass. Assuming we don't melt out in a no more storms kinda way, that's another month for a couple benjamins.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Psst.

A-Basin Spring Pass. Assuming we don't melt out in a no more storms kinda way, that's another month for a couple benjamins.

Oh, yeah - I have the epic local. It's just not my home turf, and I have to decide from driving up from Longmont or down from Breck. It's a real burden ;-)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hate when folks bring their dogs to the mountain then leave them all day without any good plan. Cute 9 month old shepard that was trying to claw it's way out of the car yesterday must have caused some good damage. Owner left the dog wire roped outside the car today with the dog getting so tangled up it was crying in pain or frustration. Wife untangled the dog so he would not hurt himself. Sometimes skiers just suck.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski Apache closed down too early and pissed off Ullr so he burned down their chair 6 with lightning a few days ago.

17966973_10100936158568290_5773435497191702219_o.jpg

Reactions: nay
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty sure it was it was a Yan so probably had the curse.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ski Apache closed down too early and pissed off Ullr so he burned down their chair 6 with lightning a few days ago.

17966973_10100936158568290_5773435497191702219_o.jpg

OMG, where did you find the pic? It was humid (well humid for here!) the past few days and saw clouds in the distance and the radar lit up above Cloudcroft and Rudoso with plenty of hail reported in some surrounding areas.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most UT resorts close tomorrow including this one. I'd like to complain about that.

Spring conditions are improving. By mid-next week it ought to be prime but the only one who'll be out skiing at Deer Valley will be Ted Ligety.

IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Yeah, Purgatory is a spectactular Spring skiing mountain now that they actually stay open through April.

Today was 55-60*. The front face is started to get pretty ragged. Pandemonium getting pretty thin. Doesn't matter as everything off 3-5-8 was absolutely perfect buttered corn developed well-past the sticky phase into just perfection. Warp speed trenching turns all day. Absolutely deserted.

It drives me crazy that most Colorado ski areas face North AND close in early April before most North exposures get good Spring conditions. With the steady advance of rising temps, people really need to get with the program. It will get harder and harder to get open for Thanksgiving and if skiers want the same length of season they will need to ski the back end of the season...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Way too long with Saturday lifts now running 8-5. My legs were having trouble skiing to 7 or 8 hour day in season. Now with the Spring conditions we get to hang in there for nine hours on Saturdays.

14April17.jpg
14April17

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
12970862_988207651270172_5333345503157444537_o.jpg

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
yesterday at Snowmass was incredible. Hit the slopes at 9:15 and it was a bit firm. Good snow to check if the stance brings the CoM over the BoS. Looked for the east exposure and it was softening through Max Park. Really nice. Up the Burn and down Dallas Freeway. Some more good for you snow. Lap 2 -- softening from half way down where the slope angle increases. Take a lap on Sneaky's -- pretty firm, but the auditory signals are good for fine tuning turn mechanics. Next lap -- getting soft! To Mick's Gully, and it's corn! Amp it up, get really dynamic, and smile! Two more laps, and Max Park is getting deep.

So, off to High Alpine. Showcase was incredible! Firm at the top transitioning to really nice coating of corn over some firm base. Really nice. Two more laps with grins. Next to Reidars. Frozen chicken heads and a bit of crust. Pick my way down, then to Upper Green Cabin for some incredible skiing. 3 laps, then back to Showcase.

It was a fantastic day. Some of the best skiing of the year. I don't get the people who hate spring, and I despise that we are closing today. Sure, there are cancers growing on the lower mountain, and the slush is deep at the end of day down there. But that's great skiing as well.

The employee party is tomorrow and that will be day 100 for me. Then I'm off to spend quality time with the spouse and start on attempting to remove the effects of happy hour. And a few more days at the Basin!

Mike

Reactions: nay

James

Out There
Instructor

It was a fantastic day. Some of the best skiing of the year. I don't get the people who hate spring, and I despise that we are closing today. Sure, there are cancers growing on the lower mountain, and the slush is deep at the end of day down there. But that's great skiing as well.

The employee party is tomorrow and that will be day 100 for me. Then I'm off to spend quality time with the spouse and start on attempting to remove the effects of happy hour. And a few more days at the Basin!

Mike
I was told yesterday by my chair mate that the snow stickiness was due to pine tar and dirt. So how was the Fir tar out there?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
No pine tar here. A bit of dirt. I think the stickiness issue here has to do more with how wet the snow gets. Not it's been quite wet and regimen, so no stickiness! Just great sliding!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January