• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Complain about Spring thread

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm wondering if this is a year we can pretend to be CO and post a photo of earning some turns in the IB in June/July
I might do it this year but that is a helluva hike lol. I wish they let people ride the scenic chair with skis.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Deluges of snow?

IMG_4780.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What's the problem?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm caving in to spring. It happens every year. I'm also skiing quite well, and don't want to stop. But...
Skied that beautiful mountain for the morning, then hopped on my bike for the first time this year. Living here doesn't suck. New bike on the way, too. Gotta get some extra motivation!
17760975_10212869957650063_2191837812854602337_o.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm caving in to spring. It happens every year. I'm also skiing quite well, and don't want to stop. But...
Skied that beautiful mountain for the morning, then hopped on my bike for the first time this year. Living here doesn't suck. New bike on the way, too. Gotta get some extra motivation!
17760975_10212869957650063_2191837812854602337_o.jpg

I used to swear off MTB during ski season from a potential injuries perspective not screwing up ski season. But ski one day, MTB the next has become too tempting and I'm ready for MTB fitness recovery.

It will need to stop snowing on my MTB terrain every three days, though.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to swear off MTB during ski season from a potential injuries perspective not screwing up ski season. But ski one day, MTB the next has become too tempting and I'm ready for MTB fitness recovery.

It will need to stop snowing on my MTB terrain every three days, though.

Yeah, that's an issue here, too. Although it's more rain on the lower elevations, and then there's that darn meltoff. A few of the backside trails will dry out fairly soon, though.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
My major complaint about spring skiing is that I don't get to ski in the spring much. Or the rest of the year, for that matter... :nono:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My major complaint about spring skiing is that I don't get to ski in the spring much. Or the rest of the year, for that matter... :nono:
I feel for you, except, you live in a rather lovely place!
But, you could always do like I did (finally!) and move to the mountains :P

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Ok, we went to Winter Park because the snow stake showed 3.5", we could see it was snowing over Berthoud, and we knew everything that had thawed from yesterday was refrozen and staying that way due to temps and closing mid cover.

And damn if it didn't fall straight from the sky as slow lane mank. At like 24 degrees. It looked like cream and wind buff...

IMG_4945.JPG

...and skied like silly putty.

At least until the wind and snow really picked up around 1:30.

IMG_4950.JPG

Which of course blew bare icy spots. Weird sucky stuff.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Which of course blew bare icy spots. Weird sucky stuff.

While WP != Breck, this still makes me feel better about my decision to stay home. If it had been any two of "I'm on call," "I have a cold," or "the conditions are iffy," I think I would have gone ... but all three plus having to wrangle dogs solo (husband in Iceland) was just too much. I figured the sweet spot would be Saturday afternoon, which would be warm enough to address the previous day's refreeze. Sunday's cold front would of course prevent softening, and I didn't think the forecasted snow would be sufficient.

I may or may not have been correct, but I think I played the odds well, especially since I spent Sunday watching TV while my whole body ached. (It was impossible to tell if that was due to illness or due to going to the climbing gym and doing deadlifts for the first time in months.)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm driving home from Vermont this am. While i love the 64 degrees cause that means the tops down on my jeep it also makes me sad. Ski resorts are starting to close one by one (Butternut, Bromley, Stratton) a few are still kicking but the end of the season is coming and that makes me sad. I'm going to be in denial for a bit longer while i ski for a couple more weeks and see how things are. I love spring but i also know its arrival means my skiing days are winding down and the dreaded summer is right around the corner.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Aside from skiing winding down, I hate spring storms. When I was out skiing in Breckenridge last month I got a call from our insurance company saying they were dropping our home owner's policy because we had three bad hail storms within the last 9 years. They quoted some statistic that the average home owner only makes 1 claim every 15 years.

First hail of the season in early March - at least this time it was small.
IMG_1621.JPG

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I may or may not have been correct

You were. Sat afternoon at A-Basin was lovely mid-mountain and down (higher never thawed and the wind buff looked soft.

I was debating not skiing until WP showed some totals, but I wasn't expecting a consistent layer of spam to fall from the sky, either.

Admittedly, Cranmer was good because everybody left, and the snow was consistent as it started to get colder, but when you are down to lapping Cranmer, it needs be later than April 9th :D.

James

Out There
Instructor
Great spring skiing this morning with the Pugski.com management team. What's not to like doing 30-40 mph gliding on snow and it's 50-60 degrees and sunny? * It's like you're at the beach with ski equipment and snow.

*Maybe the outside foot getting bogged down, the sticky patches?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Once the winter bandaid gets ripped off and it's full on Spring I'm ok once my reverse SAD wears off. I even enjoy fall but I'm all for elimination of summer.

Was going to ski okemo tomorrow or Wednesday but we are looking at 72 tomorrow and rain Wednesday. Grrrrr. I WILL be skiing Killington Friday hopefully meeting up with @SallyCat :)

I know the seasons end is coming but but but....... I'm not ready yet (insert childish stomp of foot on floor and pout)

Sponsor

Staff online