• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Clydesdale Skis for Skiing with Kids Advice

Polarbear28

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Evening all! Long time lurker finally making the plunge to ask some advice. First, a little about me. 45yrs old and been skiing since I was 5. 5’11” & tipping the scales at a spritely 270ish. Advanced/Lower Expert level skier who likes to ski fast with big turns. Mostly groomers with occasional trees and off piste when the snow warrants, but not a bumps guy. Skiing predominantly in the Northeast with annual trips west. Generally ski about 20+ days a year. I am currently riding Enforcer 88’s in 186 as my daily drivers, and I absolutely love them. After the old dragon Kendo’s, they are my favorite skis.

Recently, I have had a change to my skiing “style” as I am spending most of my time chasing my 9-year-old, and have a 4 year old who just started skiing this year. Needless to say, the 186’s like to run a little more than ride a wedge, so I am looking to go skinnier and shorter for another pair of skis to enjoy when skiing with them. Again, I love the enforcers, I just think thinner and shorter may help me not be as exhausted by the EOD (will still be using the Enforcers on non-kid days and have wider pair for deep days). But looking for more groomer performance with the ability to jump in and out of trees as they learn.

I’ve been looking at the Brahma 82, Declivity 82 and the Montero AX. Would be looking to go lower 170’s for the B82 and Armada but would be looking at the 178 for the AX. My first question is any input on going a little shorter at my size? Generally, all my skis are 184-186, but thinking shorter for the Father/Daughter days. My second question is, will I overpower the Declivity? I bought a pair of 2019 Atomic Maverick 90ti after demoing them for a short time, but I never really grew to like them. Just found them to be too light and nonresponsive. I felt there was no feedback from the ski and it always made me nervous, so looking to avoid that situation a second time. I’m going to be trying to do some demo’s on a upcoming Killington trip, but want to make sure I am looking at some good ski’s for my needs. I appreciate the help in advance!

James

Out There
Instructor
@ScottB ? He’s big.
In general, skiing with kids, long or big radius skis aren’t that desirable.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would agree long big radius skis will tire you out quicker. Dropping down into the 175-178 cm range works, as long as the ski is pretty stiff and you want a shorter turn radius. One ski that comes to mind is Fischer The Curve, or Curve GT in 178. Could go with Fishcer RC One 86 GT or whatever its called now. Fischer makes a good carving ski. A 78mm or 83mm wide ski should work well for that. There are some less demanding carving skis similar to what I suggested. The old Head Monster 83mm ski would be a good one.

To your questions: I don't know about the Declivity, but the AX I find a little soft for what it is. I would put it in the less demanding carving ski class. I personally like mine in 183cm, but wish it was stiffer. It not great in the woods, not enough width in spring snow for my tastes. A lighter and rockered ski might work as it will pivot easier and be less tiring. I like the Liberty Origin series, but lots of skis in this class. If you didn't like the Maverick then maybe not your type of ski. It also sounds like a tune issue with the Maverick from what you describe.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ put a plate on that Stockli and it’ll be fine for you. I’ve got a used Marker piston lying around. If you want it.

The Fischer RC One 86 GT could be a good choice.
The Curve in 178, the original, was a beast I’d stay away from. (Could’ve been 182) I saw it in a store and it was a monster. It’s the ski Von Grunigen wanted. I guess being 270lbs it could work. You likely could find it for a song.

TS
P

Polarbear28

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't really thought about moving towards a true frontside ski vs a all mountain. I guess I just had those models stuck in my head. But those Fischers look interesting. I am trying to get a weekend to head north and do some demoing, but the viable ski days seem to be running out. But those have me intrigued. Would those skis have trouble at a little slower speeds?

As for the Montero's, those I am moving to the on hold status until I can actually demo them. Don't mind spending the $, but want to be sure I like them for that amount. And the Maverick's were actually the Vantage 90ti. When I got these my shop tried some different tunes to get me to like them, but it seems like there were people getting the same feedback on new model, something with the tails. Supposedly it was fixed for year two. Guess skis are like cars, dont buy the first year model!

Sponsor

Staff online