• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
jimtransition

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, I created this thread then forgot to post in it!

Portillo is a bit bare at the moment to be honest, hopefully going to get a bit of snow tonight into tomorrow. This video was shot a week ago, not much pow around today though.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
"Bit of a slow start to the season here.."

Actually there was much hype over a fairly substantial storm in May. La Parva and El Colorado opened early. I haven't been monitoring South America weather as we have a lot of other plans this summer, but it sure sounds like June/early July underperformed.

Portillo season-to-date snowfall has been 97 inches. Most of that was probably back in May as the base is 25-43 inches and Roca Jack/Vizcachas are not open. Portillo is the only area down there that publishes its snow total.

Snow-forecast tends to overestimate in South America, and at the Valle Nevado group in particular. Chillan gets the most snow by reputation (I've read enough to believe that's credible) and it sounds like that's what is predicted for the next storm. Getting contemporary info about Chillan from afar is next to impossible. It has good skiing, but you're only going to find out about from online TR's.

Mattadvproject went to Chillan last year, got very lucky because it had an awful season and he was there one of the two weeks it was passable.

We do have a moderate El Nino going now, so that raises the odds a bit for Portillo/Valle Nevado/Las Lenas getting decent snow over the next couple of months.

dave-o

Booting up
Skier
Snow-forecast tends to overestimate in South America

I noticed that too, I usually estimate half what they say. Anything more than half is a bonus.

I'll be in Chillan in August, second time there for me and it'll be interesting to see what's changed and yeah info from them is surprisingly limited given the size of their operation. There's a link to their facebook page on Mattadvproject TR, but it's not been updated since July 10th!

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Do they do avalanche control inbound? Or are they operating in the "European modal"?

Not sure. I did some googling and Catedral installed a Avalauncher 5 years ago so there is some in bounds, but I do not believe to the extent of American resorts. Any one have first hand knowledge?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
So damn far from here...but someday. Great stoke!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, if the below plays out it will be a VERY nice refresh of the Valle Nevado slopes before I arrive. Even if no additional fresh falls after Sunday this will most certainly create some fun leftovers. That's over 68 inches through next Wednesday. We arrive at VN on Friday the 18th and start skiing Saturday. :drool::yahoo:

upload_2017-8-8_8-29-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-8_8-27-4.png
    upload_2017-8-8_8-27-4.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 2

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
So, if the below plays out it will be a VERY nice refresh of the Valle Nevado slopes before I arrive. Even if no additional fresh falls after Sunday this will most certainly create some fun leftovers. That's over 68 inches through next Wednesday. We arrive at VN on Friday the 18th and start skiing Saturday. :drool::yahoo:

View attachment 27713

Best of skiing in Chile. I arrive next Saturday at Cerro Catedral. Hoping it snows up high!

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Portillo webpage says 99 inches season snowfall, 19-37 inch base. Maybe the page hasn't been updated recently, but if it has that means only 2 inches in the past 3 weeks and very low tide conditions. Hopefully that Aug 11-16 storm lives up to its billing, though as noted above you should cut those numbers in half if they are for Valle Nevado.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Portillo webpage says 99 inches season snowfall, 19-37 inch base. Maybe the page hasn't been updated recently, but if it has that means only 2 inches in the past 3 weeks and very low tide conditions. Hopefully that Aug 11-16 storm lives up to its billing, though as noted above you should cut those numbers in half if they are for Valle Nevado.

1) Portillo is having a very different season than Valle Nevado. VN has received a few huge storms and is showing a base of 109in on their site and 98in on On The Snow.
2) Even if it half of what they're saying above that's still a great refresh of the slopes.
3) As I said above "If the the forecast plays out..." Forecasts are forecasts and nobody expects that they are written in stone.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
VN has received a few huge storms and is showing a base of 109in on their site and 98in on On The Snow.
OnTheSnow says 0-98 inches. SnoCountry says 88-110cm, which is consistent with Portillo. Portillo and Vale Nevado are only 60 miles apart, and Portillo historically gets more snow. OnTheSnow also says 30 of 44 trails open at Valle Nevado. That doesn't sound like a 100 inch base to me.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
While I sign up for three months of snowforecast each winter, I've learned to take their forecasts with a healthy injection of saline solution -- not to be a downer, but just sayin.
Hope you get all that's forecast, and more!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid