• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changed and/or Discontinued Skis ... End of Season Bargains?

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
This is how threads like this can get misconstrued, I really like what Head did to the next Monster, I think it is a better ski but if you can get a current Monster for 40-50% off, it is a steal and again while I AM a big fan of the new incarnation. I cannot say it is $300-400 better than the current though.

I did and these are mostly carry over with slight modifications and I still have these as some of my best values for this and next year.

Hi Phil,
Reading about the new 2018 Monster line, there are comments about how the softening of the flex and tips would benefit lighter skiers. What about heavier skiers? Would a heavier skier (I'm 180 lbs) see much improvement in the reported increased liveliness or at all of the 2018s over the previous version? Maybe that's where it's close enough to buy now at a discount over the new version? From what I've read a little extra liveliness sounds like just the ticket for these.

I tend to hang on to ski's for as long as I can/should so waiting to get a better pair of monsters at a discount next april might be worth it for me, if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS is a fantastic all mountain/variable conditions-ski if you like race-like. Replaced next season by XDR. Haven't seen the new, but reports say the new ski is not nearly as much ski as the old one.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Phil,
Reading about the new 2018 Monster line, there are comments about how the softening of the flex and tips would benefit lighter skiers. What about heavier skiers? Would a heavier skier (I'm 180 lbs) see much improvement in the reported increased liveliness or at all of the 2018s over the previous version? Maybe that's where it's close enough to buy now at a discount over the new version? From what I've read a little extra liveliness sounds like just the ticket for these.

I tend to hang on to ski's for as long as I can/should so waiting to get a better pair of monsters at a discount next april might be worth it for me, if it's worth it.
I am a bit heavier than you at 190 and I still thought the ski handled great. They softened the tip sliiiightly, it is not a noodle by any means. If you skied the two back to back and was unaware of the changes, you would think, hmmm this new one is just a bit suppler in mixed conditions, a bit more refined. Don't think they made a Molnar Yellow out of it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hi Phil,

FWIW and NBP*, at 180, you're not heavy in terms of what the monster line does. If you're wanting a 98, the new one (17-18) would be worth waiting for. For most all humans, 10% softer is a good thing and will make them a better all around, all condition performer, particulalry at your weight. The 88 is more of a preference sort of thing. The of the current is stronger and more connected to the snow, but it's exactly this that many skiers might not prefer. FWIW, our rep is roughly the same size (6' ish, #200, very strong skier) and he likes the new 88. We both ski all the Monster series in a 184. In his case, he like the way the new 88 tail releases in bumps a bit more.

* NBP= Not being Phil ogsmile

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Haven't see one anywhere!

On my last day at work this season I sold a former demo Blizzard Latigo 177cm with Marker Squire bindings for $303CDN + tax. The guy was buying them for his 6'2" dad. Normally "end of season sale item, sales are final" but we also have a more difficult to sell and less used 184cm Latigo with the same binding so i told the guy his dad could do an exchange within the next 2 or 3 days if he wanted.

We also have for sale an unmounted 2 year old NOS 184cm Latigo for $279CDN. I would have bought those skis myself 2 years ago if I didn't already own a 183cm Kastle MX83.

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
FWIW and NBP*, at 180, you're not heavy in terms of what the monster line does. If you're wanting a 98, the new one (17-18) would be worth waiting for. For most all humans, 10% softer is a good thing and will make them a better all around, all condition performer, particulalry at your weight. The 88 is more of a preference sort of thing. The of the current is stronger and more connected to the snow, but it's exactly this that many skiers might not prefer. FWIW, our rep is roughly the same size (6' ish, #200, very strong skier) and he likes the new 88. We both ski all the Monster series in a 184. In his case, he like the way the new 88 tail releases in bumps a bit more.

* NBP= Not being Phil ogsmile

Just do you!
You mentioned the 98 and 88 versions for 2017-18. Do you think this softening would be as beneficial for the 83s, being the one most people would get for east coast ice/hard/crud? It sound like it would be better in trees. Would softening a little make it less of a carver and move the needle a tiny bit toward soft snow biased?
As you and Phil know from other postings. I've been gathering info on the 83's for a week now. I'll be using it for my EC man made, iced over, end of day crud ski. Wondering if the new softer refinement would make sense for my uses.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Skis worth waiting for? Blizzard Brahma, Bonafide, and Bodacious. Head Monster 98 and Kore series. Rossi 7's. The only skis that I haven't had time to ride that I'm really interested to give a go are some of the new Dynastar Legends

Are the Head Monster 98's changing for 2018 (besides NGT)? I thought I read that only the 88's and 83's were changing. I would welcome a little friendlier 98.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The 98's get 10% softer as well. 135/98/120 for a 177... 21.3m. I think the 184 is something like 23 or 24m. And yes, this will be a better ski for 98.99% of the skiing public.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I absolutely loved the 2016 Monster 88's, enough to buy a pair (184cm) at the tail end of this season at a great price. The ski felt so so smooth on even roughed up runs that just made resort skiing more comfortable. The skis did what I wanted so it was an easy ski to ski for me. It was transparent from the first run just click in and go. I was between that and the Bonafide (187cm) which was also superb but the 88's were better on piste mainly due to the tips being more in contact with snow at all times (and absolutely did not chatter at speed) without making the ski hooky or hard to turn. It was pretty sweet. For more snow and off trail the Bonafide is a bit better mainly due to the extra width and the tip being a bit more off the snow but they are both stable skis that seem very well made. If you demoed them and liked them and they make sense to you then I would buy them now if you get a deal. Both of those skis did not left me wanting for any changes and did not leave a sour taste after a few days of skiing them in a wide range of conditions.

I cant say the same of other skis that I have tried!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I absolutely loved the 2016 Monster 88's, enough to buy a pair (184cm) at the tail end of this season at a great price. The ski felt so so smooth on even roughed up runs that just made resort skiing more comfortable. The skis did what I wanted so it was an easy ski to ski for me. It was transparent from the first run just click in and go. I was between that and the Bonafide (187cm) which was also superb but the 88's were better on piste mainly due to the tips being more in contact with snow at all times (and absolutely did not chatter at speed) without making the ski hooky or hard to turn. It was pretty sweet. For more snow and off trail the Bonafide is a bit better mainly due to the extra width and the tip being a bit more off the snow but they are both stable skis that seem very well made. If you demoed them and liked them and they make sense to you then I would buy them now if you get a deal. Both of those skis did not left me wanting for any changes and did not leave a sour taste after a few days of skiing them in a wide range of conditions.

I cant say the same of other skis that I have tried!
Wow, this is almost exactly the same as my experience. I picked up the M88's end of last season (177cm though). And skied them side by side with my Motive 95s all season. By the end of the season I was preferring the M88. But then I got a deal Renoun Z-90s and that ski is as good or better than both of those at what they are good at. So I will be selling my Monster 88s if anybody is interested. Just haven't gotten around to formally offering them yet. Aaatack 13 demo binding.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
It would be great to revive this thread now that information is becoming available about the 2018/2019 skis. Tomorrow is the start of February, so it won't be long until "end of season" bargains show up!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It would be great to revive this thread now that information is becoming available about the 2018/2019 skis. Tomorrow is the start of February, so it won't be long until "end of season" bargains show up!
Good idea. My comment was the previous last in the thread. After getting rid of my Monster 88's I saw a ridiculous deal on a pair of Monster 83s (used). So I picked them up as rock skis. Great idea because, not only do I like them even more than the M88s, in this low tide year, I've been on them a lot. I highly recommend the "older" Monster 83 and 88 (ie, 2015-2017, not the original monster) as bargains if anybody comes across them.

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
I've been on new 2016 M83's (170) this season. I like them a lot. They helped me take a step in my skill level. Their stability and dampness have me skiing steeper groomers (even on icy days) more confidently then in the past. I'm carving down them on my edges now, where I was constantly scrubbing off speed before. What I wish they had more of was energy on quick turns at moderate to slower speeds. I definitely have to work the skis in those instances. The edge hold on northeast ice and dampness keeping me out there longer more then makes up for it.
The reviews are right. It prefers medium to long turns at higher speeds, nothing I can't get through with these. They are fine skidding or flat at slow speeds. Groomers only so far.

Last edited:

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
Oh there is a video I saw on Youtube where the Head product manager explains that the M83's are unchanged for 2018, but the rest of the Monster line has.

Robik

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone here tried '18 Monster 98 in 191 length? How scary are they? I'm 190, 6,3, pretty aggressive, like high speed GS arcs through crud, smaller bumbs etc.
Skis I liked:
Line Supernatural 100 in 186 - found them easy and fun on both coasts.
Volkl Mantra in 191 was pretty manageable and versatile
Elan Olympus Mons 191 - nice, but shines in really deep and open conditions.
Moment Bibby Pro 190 - great soft snow ski, was my daily driver when I lived closer to mountains.

Many people consider Monster 98 in 184 as a lot of ski, so 191 should be for immortals? I've heard they softened the tips and added more rocker.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
some of the best 2017 skis that have been changed or discontinued for 2018 and may end up being a great closeout bargain

2017 Brahma or 2017 Bonafide if one likes the longer radius. E.g. 2017 Bonafide 180 has a 21 radius, 2018 has an 18 radius.

Today, I received the 2017 Brahma, flat. $515, plus tax. Shipping no charge.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just got a pair of of '17 monster 98's in 184. I was looking for a replacement for older non-rockered mantra. Wow these things are stable and track with zero speed limit. I have zero idea why you would want the 191's. I'd snatch up a pair of 88's if I didn't enjoy my rev 85's.

Sponsor

Staff online