• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carbon road bikes are getting really affordable..

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't really care about carbon (lots more work to do on the engine before the weight of the bike matters) but I'm itching to upgrade to a roadie with disc brakes after getting the mtn with them.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I get what you are saying and its likely a "good deal" but I think $2K seems a "good deal" not because it is indeed a "good deal", but rather because bikes have been (are) so expensive.

You can spend over $10,000 on a bike these days without too much effort.

That is more than Honda's best off-road motorcycle - as much as a decent used car.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Keeping in mind a pair of skis and boots cost ya $2k...

It can cost you $2,000, but you can get a pretty decent pair of skis, bindings and boots for much less than $2K.

Friend just got some Volkl Kendo with decent bindings for $650 and some nice Lange boots for around $400.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
A pair of skis used like a road bike should be would last 2-3 years. A good road bike will last basically a life time with replacing cables, pads, chains, cassettes and rings. I fully expect my 11 year old carbon frame and components to still be under my chamois in another 20 years. MTN bikes...not so much

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
random thought for today... 105 equipped carbon road bike, name brand, $2k. That's pretty darn good.

Trek and Cannondale have lowered their prices on quite a few models and offer excellent values at the lower price points. Giant generally offers great value as well (they make a LOT of bikes even for other brands). There are so many good options nowadays.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
You will see how Canyon will be in USA, but over here people are complaining quite lot about their service. I had one Canyon before, then switched for 5 years to Lappiere and now I'm back on Canyon (Lux) and personally I'm super happy with their bikes and never had issues with their customer service... until now :) But looking at Canyon FB group and few forums, people are complaining a lot.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
What kind of service issues are people having with Canyon?

And not trying to be difficult here..genuinely curious. I worked in the business and many mfgrs were very much against individuals buying bikes in boxes because their competency was suspect and they didn't want to handle a lot of dubious warranty claims. I'm curious if this is what's happening or if they genuinely have issues.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't really care about carbon (lots more work to do on the engine before the weight of the bike matters) but I'm itching to upgrade to a roadie with disc brakes after getting the mtn with them.
When you are ready to buy, you ought to at least get on one. Weight is irrelevant to me. But the quality of the ride is shocking in comparison to aluminum. I personally go back and forth as to whether I prefer a good steel bike (which I have two of) or carbon. But especially for a road bike, some days I would choose carbon over steel. I'll be happy if I never ride another aluminum bike again . . .

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you are ready to buy, you ought to at least get on one. Weight is irrelevant to me. But the quality of the ride is shocking in comparison to aluminum. I personally go back and forth as to whether I prefer a good steel bike (which I have two of) or carbon. But especially for a road bike, some days I would choose carbon over steel. I'll be happy if I never ride another aluminum bike again . . .

I have a Lemond steel roadie as well. My budget just won't allow for a carbon bike right now, at least until after law school. Besides, the amount of time I'll have to do long road rides during school will be severely limited. Once I'm through that we'll see as I will have more disposable income. Disposable time will still be in question.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
You can spend over $10,000 on a bike these days without too much effort.

That is more than Honda's best off-road motorcycle - as much as a decent used car.

1st, yes, you can spend 10k on a bike... but you have to get pretty extravagant to do it. It takes a bit of effort.

2nd, a Honda Africa Twin will run 15k to get off a showroom floor

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
1st, yes, you can spend 10k on a bike... but you have to get pretty extravagant to do it. It takes a bit of effort.

2nd, a Honda Africa Twin will run 15k to get off a showroom floor

You don't even have to make one single customization decision or move from your chair. Just go to any number of websites - Trek, Pinarello, Cervelo, Colnago, Felt, Specialized, Cannondale...and you can get yourself a $10,000 bike without much effort at all. Right off the rack! As for it being pretty extravagant, that goes without saying once you spend more than a $3-4k:)

The Honda CRF450R, their top of the line motorcross / dirt bike, retails for around $9,500.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
You said "offroad" the Trans alp is in their "offroad" catagory. Also, to get a CRF off the sales floor and onto dirt, there will be add-ons. The actual price is going over 10k quickly.

... but who the f cares??? Can you spend 10k on a bicycle? Yes. Do you get much return value over a 5k bicycle? Absolutely NOT. So yes, you can pend 10k, but you start throwing money away after about 6k. You actually NEED to drop 10k on a Honda CRF450 mx bike. Someone spending 10k on a road bike really, really WANTS to spend 10k, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of options with equal performance for dramatically less.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Giant generally offers great value as well (they make a LOT of bikes even for other brands).

Agreed. A couple of years ago I picked up an end of season Giant Defy exactly as specified by the OP (105 components and carbon frame) for well under $2k. I wasn't planning on getting carbon, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

lots of folks waiting for these to hit our shores. ^^^ but i hope they are better prepared than Jefsey.

I love the feel of carbon frames with carbon wheels running tubeless. soaks up vibration and its super stiff. My BMC is a 2014 so I have plenty of miles to go. I do wish it had discs but I can fit 28's so its still quite relevant. fits me so well and super comfortable on our chip n seal roads.

stuff I find of value worth the upgrade

a really good seat
carbon bars and stem
Carbon seat post
Carbon wheels with 240 hubs :)
Ultegra is plenty fine but if you buy over the winter you can upgrade to Dura ace cranks, shifters and front derailleur for not too much. I run a 32 rear so I dont want dura ace rear. I do think Dura Ace shifts so well and you will save a 1/2 # or more
garmin 520 - love this computer. I use Live Track so my wife can see where I'm riding in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
You said "offroad" the Trans alp is in their "offroad" catagory. Also, to get a CRF off the sales floor and onto dirt, there will be add-ons. The actual price is going over 10k quickly.

... but who the f cares??? Can you spend 10k on a bicycle? Yes. Do you get much return value over a 5k bicycle? Absolutely NOT. So yes, you can pend 10k, but you start throwing money away after about 6k. You actually NEED to drop 10k on a Honda CRF450 mx bike. Someone spending 10k on a road bike really, really WANTS to spend 10k, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of options with equal performance for dramatically less.

My bad - meant dirt bike.

Agree - does not make much sense to spend $10k, or $8k or even $6k on a bike unless your life or job depends on it. But if as you say, you WANTED to, it surely does not take much effort. Most folks I know with bikes that expensive (I know a handful) bought them because they wanted to show them off. Bikes are much more visible than skis for example, so they get equal thrills riding the bike as they do showing it off.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Since we are the home of Moots and Erikson, there are a ton of 8-12K bikes around! Owning a hand made bike is pretty cool. For me, a handmade custom bike is like rolling artwork. I dont want one but I can understand the appeal