• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car Quiver

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Nope, factory, 2009.

Specialty of 2009 Mazda MX-5 MIATA Sport Car is that it is available in the colors of True Red , Stormy Blue Mica, Marble White, Liquid Silver Metallic, Copper Red Mica, Competition Yellow and Brilliant Black.

I posted the pic on the SDMC group and somebody ID'd it from Miata.net; regardless of the shade of yellow I think you and I probably agree that yellow is waaaay better than "dime-a-dozen red"...
:roflmao:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We're thinking about expanding the car quiver again, and getting a bit more serious about it. There are a lot of cars out there, for sure.

We bought one of the first 50 Audi TT's to be imported to the US. Friend is a big dealer. We bought a silver/black 225 roadster, at cost. The license plate was NOSNOW. I did some work to it. Nothing major. Chip, some suspension tweaks. Fun, and at the time unusual car.

I was pretty shocked when my friend told me later how many Audi was bringing to the US. We also found that we were not going to drive it, as we had anticipated, for many longer weekend trips. The trunk was pretty tiny, in reality. The car drove really well.

Our oldest got his license, at at that point, on our state there was no way you restrict him as a driver, and our insurance bill was going to quadruple. I was also thinking that this was going to be a lousy investment. One day, an older guy, with a thick German accent asked me about it. He had walked down to a local market near our house. One think leads to another. He drives it. He researches the VIN and build date. He like that it has 2200 miles on it and has never seen rain. He buys it, at what is a very good price. Turns out that he is a collector. He still owns it.

About 10 years later, I was looking for a car to commute in, and to drive by myself a lot....often up to our ski house. My wife and kids were living there for the season and spring. I found a 2002 TT 225 coupe. Cheap.
That was a great car. Great driver. Autocrossed it and tracked it a bit. With good snows on steelies, it was a good winter car. Amazing how much more stuff you can fit in the coupe. It's also a better, stiffer drive.

My son and I are BOTH thinking about finding the right TT coupe. Mine would be the fun car. His would be one of their year round daily drivers.

I've had a lot of Audi and BMW products, most of them bought with some mileage on them, bit with very solid service records and history. I do a fair amount of my own work. All of the routine stuff. Years ago I found a local guy who is a real BMW and Audi savant. He's my go to on the bigger stuff. Or when I can't source an issue. Very reasonable. Takes great pride in his work. IMO, priceless relationship.

He told me that I would really regret selling the one car that I do regret moving. A 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant. He was right. I will own another. I am in touch with a half dozen guys around the country, including the guy who owns my old car. I have a thing for wagons. And sleepers.
When one of the few exceptional ones comes up, I will jump on it. The right ones rarely sell.

My wife and I are also S2000 fans. Perhaps at some point. Different car, different everything. I think the right example could be a good investment. I have sold a lot of good car investments when we needed the money for things like houses, additions, ski houses, tuitions....stuff that happens in life. If I had a clue, I would never have sold a number of them. The dumbest was a perfect 914-6, which I sold to help buy a house. Ouch.

At some point soon, I need a new everyday car, a wagon. Seeing a lot of Audi and BMW options, used, at reasonable prices. Mileage does not scare me much if the service history is solid, and even better if I can get a read on the owner.

The staple in our garage is always a Toyota Land Cruiser. Always. Our current one is a 2003, with 135K miles. Thing is a workhorse, and just a tremendous vehicle. Build quality is exceptional. This is the 5th one we have owned. They last a long time. I never would have sold our last 2002, but I wanted the 2003 transmission. Looked for 18 months for the right car. 2200 miles away. Found it.

Phil, a Z3 or Z4 could be a nice ragtop for a real value price.

BTW, four Subies in the family as of late. All over the place in terms of cost. Not cheap at all. The most costly was a 2006 Outback XT. Coincidentally the best is a 2009 Outback XT. We have a 2005 LGT wagon that only has 130K miles on it. Not quite the appliance that you'd expect in terms of many things. The engine, turbo, trans have all, knock on wood been fine. The 2006 3.0 Outback is cursed. Something needs attention all the time. That's reportedly about to hit Craigslist. Reason being that as my son says "what people will pay for these anywhere near the mountains is stupid."

Fun thread.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Muleski leave it to you to add a whole perspective to this thread.

S2000. I have one for about 2 weeks when my 99 Miata was in the shop, it was a great loaner car. Right now they are going for stupid money...for what I want in a car. But in reality, I wouldn't want one any way..it is the automotive equivilent of crack cocaine. If i had an S2000, I would not have a license...the car is just too much fun to drive too fast.

NC Miata, I am circling back to my 9th Miata...I need to drive one again. It is a car I don't ahve to worry about in that it is pretty bullet proof and there is a hige aftermarket for mods. It has much more refinement than my NA'a and NB's.

Zee Germans...
TT. I like them jsut don't love them, even though the balance is good with the AWD, there is still the feel of the front wheel drive bias. I do love the baseball glove interior.

Z3. Definate roadster feel. I love the look of the 00-02's with the beautiful haunches in the back. There are a lot of garage queens to choose from, many were 3rd cars. There are frame issues. Motors are great 2.3/2.5 and 2.8/3.0 are bulletproof, it is the rest of the car that concerns me.

Z4. Not as big as they look, very refined drive, but more of a Grand Touring feel. There is a feel that you are sitting in it and not on it, not as much of an open feel as I am used to and should be able. Motors, carry over from the Z3's.

SLK. Worst Manual transmission ever.

Boxster. Just cannot see driving a Porsche.

While I have had great luck with ownership of German cars, there are still the horror stories and they are there for a reason.

For $6-10K..there are a lot of options. I will have pretty much an open mind..it is just a matter of finding the best example. It will be interesting how much Tricia can put up with. But nothing can happen until the 92 SBY sells. It is scheduled go on BaT this coming week.

Muleski

Inactive
Love these threads. I can daydream and strategize, end up spending no money, and have no cars.

There are SO many cars out there, at let's say $10K and under. Open that up to $15K, and it's YUGE.

The garage queens are out there. We have a friend who's in his mid eighties, an absolute car but, and he uncovers more stuff. His daughter is a close friend. A year ago he found a Z3 with about 25K on the clock, never been driven in the winter. Perfect. Cheap. Too good a deal to pass up. Gave it to his daughter and son in law. I think it's a 2002. Great looking.

Here you on the S2000. Depending on the part of the country, prices are moving up quite a bit. I saw a great one last fall. Again, no winters. The owner really wanted to sell, as he needed the space. I hemmed and hawed for a night and lost. They are a howl to drive, but IME, not so relaxing! I dunno, there is something about them.

I'm not a Boxter fan. Have a number of friends who have them. Classic older guy third car. They love them. Plus, the price point was always too much for me.

The Porsche that I wish I had been serious about was the 911SC, back when they were downright cheap. A mechanic buddy had told me that he felt they were just bullet proof, and a real deal. He was right. Not a deal any more!

@Philpug, you just seem like the Miata guy!
College roommate has a very nicely set up NC. A hell of a lot of fun. Go for it!

Agree, the TT, even with a lot of playing around with the suspension, never felt like it had an ounce of RWD genes. In my case the rest kind of grew on me. I drove the coupe in a lot of crappy weather, and it was a champ. We had the roadster when they were a novelty, and ours had about 330 WHP. The thing was a beast.

I have never driven an SLK. No interest.

Going to take a look at a 328xi wagon, six speed tomorrow. Would have a ton of interest other than the color....red.

Have fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, you just seem like the Miata guy!
College roommate has a very nicely set up NC. A hell of a lot of fun. Go for it!

Have fun.

There is a dichotomy with the NC...like a modern ski, they are jsut so damn easy and smooth...but the disconnect. I really had no intention to consider the NC...until I drove the Z4..which is like a German NC in that respect. I really do not want to get into the 15K range...just because there are so many good options under (or just around) 10K. There is a local Z3..that is a deal but the seller cancelled to appointments and we are away next week. One of those too good deals...that just might be just that too good to be true..especially if it not the right time. We are getting into the heat season now, so there is no rush..could wait till fall, which is great top down season or even the winter.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_0823.JPG

Our car quiver plus Feebee the dog. The beemer is actually my daughter's. I would run the Saabs forever if I wasn't concerned about ability to get parts, and a decreasing population of mechanics familiar with them. The Porsche is a recent purchase after selling my 1987 911 -- you are right Muleski, the SCs and 3.2 cars are fairly bulletproof; but they still are 30+ years old.... And oh, yeah: any color but red for any car I own!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2004 Land Cruiser, 2015 Allroad. So far I've already beat up the Allroad pretty good: I got caught in a hailstorm in May, and then a bear broke in last week. LUCKILY no interior damage, just a busted window and some scratched paint.

IMG_8184.JPG
IMG_8193.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Chuck, what did you leave in the car that the bear was after?

Nothing! I had brought two coolers inside. I think the window was slightly open, because the dog had been in there, so I guess Yogi probably didn't have to do much but lean on it and it shattered. It was the rear passenger window, but there was glass all around the car ... on the hood, under the wipers, behind, in front ... I guess it was in Yogi's fur and he/she was still snooping around. Hard to see, but there are dirt marks from Yogi's slide inside. I am super duper lucky.

IMG_8150.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, It's not the first ZIGGSTR... looking for next ex-car. @Jack skis...tell me about the TT..thinking about one. We want something that will be better on long trips.

I cannot recommend a used 128 highly enough. I nearly weep every time I see one, because I stupidly sold mine since it didn't get used that much. Sporty. Sweet inline six engine and 6 MT. Back seat folds DEAD flat in seconds without compromising the ability to slide the front seats back one bit. Quiet. 30 mpg at 70 if you go easy. I fantasize that BMW will bring over a 5-door HB version of the current 2 Series. I would buy one in a minute, even though the NA inline six is gone forever.

He told me that I would really regret selling the one car that I do regret moving. A 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant. He was right. I will own another. I am in touch with a half dozen guys around the country, including the guy who owns my old car. I have a thing for wagons. And sleepers.
When one of the few exceptional ones comes up, I will jump on it. The right ones rarely sell.

THAT was a special car! The place I typically windsurf at used to be frequented by a guy that owned one. Very jealous at the time. Now I occasionally see him at Sun Valley. Last time we spoke, he still had it IIRC.

Our quiver is a bit of a snooze-fest these days. Focussed around the vehicles serving other fun activities:

2007 Sprinter. Cannot ever imagine selling this. Pulls my wife's (smallish) horse trailer. Holds two dirt bikes behind the second seat. Six bikes, my wife, and our dog fit handily on two week mountain bike trips.

2012 Sienna AWD. Other than -- ahem -- a total lack of interesting driving dynamics, this is the best winter road trip vehicle in existence. We put a platform in back, and six pair of alpine and six pair of xc skis fit nicely underneath.

2011 Honda Element. My wife bought the last one of these to come through our local dealership. She'd buy another tomorrow if they brought it back. Hey, she wonders about some of my choices, too!

2013 XC60 R-Design: An amazingly fast CUV. But in hindsight, I wish I'd kept the 128, since the XC60 and Sienna step on each others toes a bit.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I cannot recommend a used 128 highly enough. I nearly weep every time I see one, because I stupidly sold mine since it didn't get used that much. Sporty. Sweet inline six engine and 6 MT. Back seat folds DEAD flat in seconds without compromising the ability to slide the front seats back one bit. Quiet. 30 mpg at 70 if you go easy. I fantasize that BMW will bring over a 5-door HB version of the current 2 Series. I would buy one in a minute, even though the NA inline six is gone forever.

I am hoping to drive a 128 next week. I am digging this color combo... HERE.

43586469854.459261501.IM1.02.1000x667_A.1000x667.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am hoping to drive a 128 next week. I am digging this color combo... HERE.

43586469854.459261501.IM1.02.1000x667_A.1000x667.jpg

I love that brown leather. I went "Nothing Burger" on mine. No options except the Sport Package and Cashmere Metallic paint (wife's color choice), so the interior was black sensatec.

But the saddle brown leather interior of my 2004 325iT wagon remains my all-time favorite.

Enjoy the test drive. Bring your wallet!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love that brown leather. I went "Nothing Burger" on mine. No options except the Sport Package and Cashmere Metallic paint (wife's color choice), so the interior was black sensatec.

But the saddle brown leather interior of my 2004 325iT wagon remains my all-time favorite.

Enjoy the test drive. Bring your wallet!
Thats the red interior..we do have brown in the Alltrack though.
IMG_0081.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our quiver? How exciting we are! I drive an '06 Dodge 3500 Megacab. It's a beast but gets decent mileage, hauls a lot, seats 4 comfortably and 5 pretty comfortably, and tows our 36' toyhauler. My wife drives the '14 Passat TDI which, at least at this time, we are keeping. One son drives the '03 Expedition which, despite having a head gasket leak (oil to the outside, nothing inside), continues to plod along as a teenage catch-all. And then there's the fun car, the '05 Mini S convertible that gets driven daily by our 6'4" son. I keep waiting for something really bad to happen to it but it keeps going.

If there is anyone interested in a 1955 MGTF I have a line on a really good one. It's my parents they are looking to sell it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If there is anyone interested in a 1955 MGTF I have a line on a really good one. It's my parents they are looking to sell it.

Bring a Trailer is a great place to sell a MG. Check out the results HERE.

Muleski

Inactive
Bring a Trailer is a great platform to sell a car, if you have something of interest, in good condition, can describe it and have good pictures. I have been blown away by some of the prices that they are fetching.

I'm rapidly thinking great place to sell, not necessarily to buy. I can't get into details on a current auction, but my son is very interested in a car. He knows them inside and out, and is part of "that crew."

This car was listed on a couple of owners forums and on Craigslist for quite some time. Initially at a price that was considered "insane", then at a lower price that might be 25-35% high. We'll the way this is going, I think it's going to blow through the insane number.

It's GREAT for the seller. And of course it's going to become a new legend, as in "well the black one on BaT sold for...."

It seems like the bidders who were asking questions and making comments are not really knowledgeable about the cars, but intrigued.

Some of what I have seen blows my mind. Meanwhile, off the beaten path, I am seeing some great deals on cars.

BaT would be a great platform for selling a MGTF, methinks.

Sponsor

Staff online