• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car Quiver

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_0252.JPG

Time to start a car quiver? Here's 3/4's of ours in May 2017. The Audi TT is a 2011, purchased used, behind it is our 2014 Audi A6 Diesel, and the third car is the 2017 VW Alltrack, The A6 and Alltrack were purchased new. The other car lives in Crested Butte, it's a 2009 Audi A4 wagon. Got onto Audis some years ago and have not been disappointed yet. The Alltrack replaces a Jetta SW diesel.

Jack

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0992.JPG

92 Miata SBY Soon to be on BaT and will be replaced with a car TBA
17 Alltrack (Elwood)
08 Yukon XL/S.S.Pugski (Jake)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Four, but only three currently on the road

'67 Triumph GT6 MkI (storage)
'87 BMW e30 325is
'91 Mazda Miata
'10 Subaru WRX
e30 Face lift 1.JPG
faces.jpg
2010 WRX.JPG

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
????
what the hell, ZIGSTER is going away :eek: :huh:
Yeah, It's not the first ZIGGSTR... looking for next ex-car. @Jack skis...tell me about the TT..thinking about one. We want something that will be better on long trips.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
you've got no staying power ;)
How long have you known me? The longest I ever had a car was the TDI, 6 years, everything else was less than 2 years..most 6-12 months.

TS
Jack skis

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, It's not the first ZIGGSTR... looking for next ex-car. @Jack skis...tell me about the TT..thinking about one. We want something that will be better on long trips.

I think the TT is a good long distance car. If the Miata is a sorta bare bones dedicated sports car, the TT is way different. Typical Audi interior content and features, the top is probably several times heavier than that on the Miata both in layers of material and mechanism. The auto trans Audis DSG type, but when in Sport especially can really rip off those shifts with or without using the shift paddles. AWD not as sporty feeling as Miata, but great on wet. The seats fit us well with bolsters and a non-slippery under butt material that keeps one in place when covering enthusiastically. The trunk is larger than I though it would be and could hold enough for a overnight or more trip. We use it for fun mostly in the Cascade foothills and along the NW Washington coast. We found it used at an Audi dealership with 23,000 some miles so it was all polished up and shiny. Didn't have a prayer once I saw it. It had been a difficult summer after we returned to WA after the season at CB, CO, and we needed something to pick us up.

It ain't as much of a sports car as a Miata in some ways, but in others it's most satisfactorily sporting. More power and punch than a Miata? Never drove a Miata so I don't know. Nostalgia aside, it beats the Hell outta the 1952 MG TD I had back in the day.

Jack

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
If you're getting an Audi, prepare yourself for frequent trips to the stealership for a cashectomy...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you're getting an Audi, prepare yourself for frequent trips to the stealership for a cashectomy...
Other than routine maintenance, the TDI cost us nothing. How has that Subie worked out for you?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My guy is looking for an Audi for his next car. He had an A4 and loved it. He currently has a Nissan Rogue and i think is looking to replace it with something more "exciting".

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Other than routine maintenance, the TDI cost us nothing. How has that Subie worked out for you?
The Subie was great until I hit about 160K miles, now it's overhauled and good for another several years at least, with much lower registration fees (aka taxes) and insurance. And plenty of room for bikes, skis, what have you...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

For the German cars, if you don't wrench for yourself, finding a good independent shop that 'speaks German' is the way to go. There are more of them springing up all the time, and for good reason! In many cases, by former 'factory trained mechanics'.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Subie was great until I hit about 160K miles, now it's overhauled and good for another several years at least, with much lower registration fees (aka taxes) and insurance. And plenty of room for bikes, skis, what have you...
My point was, no car company is immune from issues, be it Subaru's head gaskets, some manufacturers transmissions, some's oil consumpton, what have you. We are looking for an option to replace the Miata with, a summer fun car that will take the burden off of the Yukon. We are thinking a Z3 or Z4 fro BMW because they are no more money than a nice Miata and you get a ton more refimenment. A TT convertible because of the same reason, the 1.8T does have its quirks but overall, as @Bill Talbot there are a ton of great independent mechanics out there. A NC Miata is still a possibility too. It is a matter of finding a car that speaks to us that will be a better long distance tourer than the NA which while is fun for a drive around the lake, had it's limits. Plus a 92 SBY with 36K jsut became to valuable to use as a "driver", I know that is against Bill's philosophy but there is a lot of things that we veiw different than him and that is fine too. So to keep the htread on track, we will be replacing a car in our quiver, and chances are it will have a ton of head room, you could say the sky will be the limit.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
When I owned my '67 911S I did nearly all of the wrenching myself; the car was simple, no modern gadgetry, just 2 liters, 2x 3-bbl carbs, and a whole lot of fun. Some of the Miata wrenching I do, but with a good indie mechanic close by I'll avail myself of his services. Cheryl has an NC, it's much nicer than my NB (of course the NB has stiffened suspension, urethane bushings, etc. etc.); I think we'd happily take the NC on longer trips. Of course you can't get NCs in yellow, but that's another story... ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of course you can't get NCs in yellow, but that's another story... ;)
Oh, yes you can...
09yellow.jpg

It's not Sunburst Yellow...but neither is the Blazing Yellow either :duck:.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
For the German cars, if you don't wrench for yourself, finding a good independent shop that 'speaks German' is the way to go. There are more of them springing up all the time, and for good reason! In many cases, by former 'factory trained mechanics'.

I agree. I bring my jeep to my local Sunoco for all its needs. They also service a ton of audis. The owners drive audis as well. They've served me well, never screwed me over and have saved me a ton of money over the years as well.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online