• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can there be too much snow?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the news Spring 2017 -
Extended ski season for Mammoth Mountain into August
Cancelled mountain biking for this summer at Mammoth Mountain(rumored)
Summer race camps at Squaw Valley
Mountain bike trails that are usually rideable around Lake Tahoe are still buried in snow(local recon says too much snow)

This morning, the local news said that the Tough Mudder Tahoe (Usually held at Northstar) moved to Sacramento due to snow coverage.

I wonder what's going on with the golf courses around here. :huh:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Can there be too much snow? Nope. :D

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes there can. A friend went to Alagna in 2015. They could only ski 2 days out of 5. Everything had to close due to too much snow. Once it opened they weren't able to get over to Gressoney/Champuloc. Be careful what you wish for.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Mountain biking or water/agriculture/food? Seems an easy choice. The ski touring will be good this year. ogsmile

Maybe the Donner party felt different though.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Your avatar kind of revealed your feelings here.

Ted Ligety is training on Deer Valley's Bald Mountain this week, post-closing. Yesterday I stopped by to watch for a bit. Before long I noticed there were a bunch of groomers moving snow around. Turns out they still have over 100" on much of the upper hill, are concerned about getting mountain biking going and are moving snow off the trails. Most years the base never gets near 100".

DV has created some sweet MB trails which bring in a pretty hard core crowd. Remember the pool scene in Caddy Shack? It's like that.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes there can. A friend went to Alagna in 2015. They could only ski 2 days out of 5. Everything had to close due to too much snow. Once it opened they weren't able to get over to Gressoney/Champuloc. Be careful what you wish for.

Thats MUCH better than little to now snow.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We had so much snow at Baker this year that we had to climb up a little to clear the unloading zone on a few chairs. Not too much, though.

This is my thought. If there is so much snow that the lifts are completely buried beyond being able to function that would be too much snow for people who can't or won't hike for turns.

What about so much snow that anything with "fun" pitch is always in high avalanche risk status? That would be a LOT of snow but is that a possibility?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Sure, file that under the too much beer or too much sex category. Someday in the future I may find an upper limit. May go something like this....

She: Lets jump in the sack for a quickie them grab some beers and make some turns in all the snow piled up outside.

He: I'm good just sitting here on the couch watching Ellen on the tube.

She: Can I check to see if you still have a pulse?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Short answer, NO. Long answer, HELL NO. Unless I want to go camping. Then there can be a possibility of too much snow in a small area.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid