• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Calling All Bindings Nerds: Raceplate Noob Question

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have an option on these skis at a good price, with a choice of either the Stockli World Cup raceplate (made by Vist) or the Vist Speedlock TT plate, as shown. If I go with the Speedlock plate, I'm locked into Vist bindings.

If I opt for the Stockli plate, am I also locked into Vist bindings?

Are there other raceplates with the same bolt patterns as either of these, that would allow me the choice of some more readily-available bindings? Or would I have to bite the bullet and have the skis re-drilled to accept another plate & binding system?

LaserSC.jpg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I admit I'm not expert in current plates, as I just ride whatever plate I get on skis (lately Rossi R21 WC plates), but out of the head, I would say only Tyrolia (Fischer/Head/Elan) race plates are done so, that you can put any binding you want on them, They need to be drilled so you can drill whatever pattern you want. All other plates (Rossi, Marker, Stoeckli) are drilled for pattern of their own bindings which means they are not compatible with bindings from other manufacturers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Either plate you are locked into a Vist binding which are note easy bindings to come by especially here in the states. Where are you located?

TS
Marty McSly

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Either plate you are locked into a Vist binding which are note easy bindings to come by especially here in the states. Where are you located?
Australia. Vist bindings are even harder to come by here. The seller offered me his spare unused Vist 614's. I was just looking to see if I had cheaper options, but it doesn't seem likely. His 614's are cheaper than the 412's on closeout at Colorado Discount Skis. Not sure if they can ship them to Australia but that wouldn't be cheap.

So I've gone with his package of the Laser SC's used about a dozen times, the unused Stöckli race plates, the Speedlock plates and the unused Vist 614's for a smidgin under US $450 at today's rates.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 614 is a pretty good binding...go with it. There might be less expense bindings but once you take into account that you will have to replace the plate, you really don't have much in options.

Sponsor

Staff online