• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buying Equipment After Knee Replacement

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Pugski knee replacement recipients take note: Last year this month I had a knee replacement. I mistakenly thought that my new knee would be weaker, that I would be slower, more tentative, and that I wouldn't, or shouldn't, ski on expert level equipment anymore. I went out and bought softer skis and boots.
Turns out that that I couldn't have been more wrong. I actually skied way more aggressively than I had before the surgery. My experience was that the knee was not weaker and it certainly didn't hurt the way it had for many previous years.
I wish that someone had told me this before I bought the "softer" equipment. Now, a year later, I am having to buy stiffer skis and boots.
Learn from my mistakes. Save your money! Regardless of your skiing ability, I would recommend that you don't take a step backward equipment wise.

P.S. I'm not a doctor. This is my experience and mine alone. Check first with your doc. Hopefully, your doc is a skier.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Scotty, glad you have had such a positive result with your joint replacement. I had a hip replaced 7 years ago and had similar outcome. The new joint is stronger and pain free. Many of us are grateful that new body parts and repair procedures are available.

TS
Scotty I.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Scotty, glad you have had such a positive result with your joint replacement. I had a hip replaced 7 years ago and had similar outcome. The new joint is stronger and pain free. Many of us are grateful that new body parts and repair procedures are available

Count me among those who are grateful. Very, very grateful. It's been life changing for me. Glad you've had such a great result.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Through my work I have had the chance to speak with many patients, both pre and post surgery. Unlike many other surgeries, which seem to have more variable results, the overwhelming majority of knee replacement patients are more than satisfied with the results. The report a huge increase in function, strength and ROM in the knee, as well as close to total relief from pain. Most wish the had not "toughed it out", and had had the surgery done much sooner. I do NOT hear this same level of satisfaction from hip, back and shoulder surgeries. This is purely anecdotal, but does come from a large a relevant data base.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Two orthopods, both skiers, have told me that it is very wise to dial down the skiing intensity after a replacement. If the bone around the artificial part is fractured badly, it can be permanently disabling.

I'm in the market for a kneecap replacement. We'll see how that goes. I'm getting a consult with a saw bones tomorrow who does stem cell injections to rejuvenate the cartilage. We'll see what he says.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Two orthopods, both skiers, have told me that it is very wise to dial down the skiing intensity after a replacement. If the bone around the artificial part is fractured badly, it can be permanently disabling.
Doctor!

Thigh bones are one of the strongest. There's no reason why the bone around the artificial part is more likely to fracture than any other bones in the body.

I know someone who had a nasty fall and did break his thigh bone. But it wasn't broken on the part around the artificial part. So his recovery was pretty uneventful.

Through my work I have had the chance to speak with many patients, both pre and post surgery. Unlike many other surgeries, which seem to have more variable results, the overwhelming majority of knee replacement patients are more than satisfied with the results. The report a huge increase in function, strength and ROM in the knee, as well as close to total relief from pain. Most wish the had not "toughed it out", and had had the surgery done much sooner. I do NOT hear this same level of satisfaction from hip, back and shoulder surgeries. This is purely anecdotal, but does come from a large a relevant data base.
I happened to know several people who had hip replacements (seems common among cyclist?). They all were pretty satisfied and rode stronger than before. After all, these people choose the surgery to IMPROVE their function, and it seems it worked out as expected.

I haven't met anyone who had shoulder replacement. Didn't even know such an option even exist until now!