• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Breckenridge Advise

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I am heading to Breckenridge next week with a group that includes a few new skiers along with my wife who is a good skier but likes green cruisers. I am looking to see what peak would be better for them to ski. Based on what I see from the maps our options are either Peak 8 or 9 so want to know which is a better option.

Also for the better skiers what is the best way to ski Breck. From what I can tell it looks like skiing from Peak 6 to 8 and Peak 8 to 10 is better than going the other way. I know the place is big so trying to figure out the layout and best way to cover the terrain is what we are looking for. Thanks!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You'd think this would be an easy couple of questions to answer, but no.

For the following, I'm talking about the lower parts of the peaks, from tree line and lower.

Peak 7 is a great place to start the day with green and blue groomers. It is a quick run to T-Bar or to Peak 8 base. Peak 8 is often congested and has more difficult runs than Peak 7. Peak 9 has a good variety of runs from difficult green to difficult blue groomers. Peak 10 is strictly blues and blacks. Peak 6 is a combination of blue and black groomers along with a bit of bowl skiing accessible without hiking (but some traversing)

Getting from Peak to Peak requires planning but isn't difficult unless you snowboard. From anywhere on Peak 10 you can get to the top of Peak 9 or 8 with only one lift. From Peak 6 back to the rest of the resort usually involves descending to the base of Peak 7; there is a loooong traverse that is un-official and un-marked but that requires advanced skills and a keen eye to following a goat path. Another quick way from Peak 6 to the rest of the mountain is to get on the Gondola at the base of 7 and ride it to 8.

Above tree line aka Upper Mountain.

The upper mountain is mostly above treeline. It can be wind scoured or wind filled. It is all blue, black and double black terrain. I like to start on Peak 7, bombing the groomers until I'm warmed up or T-Bar opens. Then I take some runs on T-Bar while the rest of the upper mountain opens: Imperial, Peak 7 (high traverse above Whale's Tail). Now that we are in spring, the wait is short or nonexistent. When there is (or has been) fresh snow, opening upper mountain can take longer.

Another happy plan is to get on Kensho (via Wanderlust; a formal goat path) and wait for hike-to terrain to open there.

In general.

Once you get the lay of the land you'll find it isn't that hard to go back and forth among peaks (excepting 6).

• The spring conditions over the last weekend and Monday extended up into Horseshoe Bowl and beyond.
  • You want to start skiing on the South side of each Peak (the major lifts go East to West) and follow the softening of the snow.
  • Trees can be fun but the base is getting thin. Be careful. Lower angle trees will be more forgiving than steep. Trees block the sun so can help extend skiing a run by staying on the south side of a trail where the trees were shading the edge of the trail.
@NESkiBum, I'll be around next week if you'd like to meet up for a tour of the area. I'll PM my phone and email.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Breckenridge has a lot to offer for everyone. I’m not a local but have spent plenty of time on the mountain. In fact, I’ll be spending some time with the family there next week!

Peak 9 offers some really good and mellow green cruising runs. The Quicksilver chair might be a good place to start with the beginners. For some good and mellow blue cruisers ski over to the Mercury or Beaver Run chairs and take to the top of Peak 9.

Accessing Peak 8 from Peak 9 is pretty easy via the Peak 8 super connect chair. As mentioned, Peak 8 does seem to be the most congested. Peak 7 has some pretty mellow blue cruisers that are great for beginners and advanced skiers. Peak 6 is a great way to experience above tree line skiing without being on black or double black terrain although if I recall the runs are much steeper than those on Peak 7.

The above tree line stuff is always fun! It is a lot more steeper than most of the below tree line skiing. I enjoy the tree runs to the skiers right of the 6 chair. The Imperial chair and T-bar access some pretty steep terrain. Views are specular from the top of the Imperial chair! Hiking to the summit is always an option but coming from the flatlands, I’m usually sucking too much wind to enjoy the added benefits!

If you like steep groomed and ungroomed black runs, Peak 10 is a good place to find that. I’ve been able to find some respectable bump and tree runs on Peak 10. There are typically some nice easy blue bumps to be found on both Peaks 8 and 9. A great place to get your feet wet if you are into to that sort of thing!

I’ve not found the navigation of Breckenridge to be too difficult although I recommend grabbing a trail map to keep it in your pocket if you have not been there before.

It sounds like winter might be coming back to Breckenridge next week. I’m taking my rock skis along just in case it’s still thin in spots!

Have fun!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Doug has a lot more experience at Breck than I do ... I do have the "advantage" of being relegated to the lower mountain this season, which gives me a different perspective than I would normally have!

One amendment to Doug's informative post - there are no greens on peak 7. There are very mellow blues throughout. The runouts just above the Independence lift are suddenly steeper (true blue), which leads to some scrape and bump formation. Peak 7 is intermediate skier heaven.

In my opinion, peak 9 is a better option than peak 8 for greens. Peak 9 has several looooong greens, and they're fairly empty if you go wide rather than going straight under the lift where everyone else goes. On peak 8, you have to either deal with the obnoxious Colorado maze and then ski a blue at the top, or take a slow lift that only takes you partway up for a very short run. Peak 8 is also more crowded (see: obnoxious Colorado maze). However, to be honest, the blue at the top of peak 8 is a pretty "soft" blue - the trick is being able to dodge the people criss crossing under the Vista House.

Also: generally speaking, Breck has a reputation for grade inflation on the lower mountain. However, they seem to have changed the approach for Peak 6 - the blues there would be blacks on the other peaks, and the route to the easiest runs - the run under the lift - is usually pretty scraped, or vis is awful, or both.

Could you elaborate on "better skier"? Are you talking comfortable in all conditions and all terrain, or more of a solid black / sometimes double black skier, or?

As for navigating as a true anything goes skier - I would say it makes a lot of sense to kind of stick to a 3-peak range for the day. I rarely get over to peak 10 (unless it's a powder day and I get to the Falcon before it starts); if I do, I stay there a while and probably won't get to 6 and 7. I get on the mountain at the base of the peak 9, but because of lesson club I often start the day at the Vista House. From there, there are two common routes.

1) Straight to chair 6. In the spring, avoid the actual chair 6 runs in the morning. They're all south-facing and crunch-tastic.
1a) Head directly left - oops - right off the chair. skier's left - , carry speed (eagle eye uphill for people coming down Imperial Face and from T-Bar!), and take the "upper traverse" through some trees. From here, ski the groomer, or cross the groomer and ski B-50 trees to Contest Bowl, or keep going a little farther across and drop in to the close side of Horseshoe Bowl.
1b) Go up Imperial. Ski Whale's Tail (from which too many options to enumerate), or if you're a very strong skier, do the very short hike up Peak 7 and ski Upper Dunes, which will be either fabulous, or terrible sastrugi. There is no middle ground.

2) Depending on how much you're willing to pole, you can get to the T-Bar from either the top or bottom of Vista House. Top is easier. If you're starting from the base of Peak 8, you can take the Rocky lift instead and save yourself some traversing. From the T-Bar, you have many fun options, and you can easily get to the peak 6 and 7 lifts (6 requires a focus on taking every available left and not getting distracted). A frequent lap is 6 chair to imperial to T-bar to 6 chair.

As Doug indicated, this time of the season, being aware of the previous days' temperatures, the current temps, and the aspect of the mountain - these are all key to a good day. Also, shade. In the right temperature range, you may find that the shady side of the slope has snow that's unaffected by the sun. This pretty much requires skiing within one turn of the trees.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doug's advice is sound. My plan of attack which rarely varies (going from Airport lot/Gondy)

Peak 7 - Peak 6 laps til a line builds - T Bar - early lunch (only touch Base Peak 8 once)- Chair 6/Imperial laps- E chair down to Falcon chair - empty Peak 10 laps to close out day

Avoids most crowds by never being at base 8 or 9, maybe some laps down American or whatever if you don't mind risking Beaver run base a bit.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
NESkiBum

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Here's a weird piece of advice: Avoid Spruce, the black diamond that runs under the Colorado chair. It has an unfortunate mix of "my first black diamond" skiers, skiers in wedges, and skiers going way too fast for when other people are around, flying over the rollers without checking their landing spots. It has an unfortunate history. If you are enjoying High A bumps or Callie's Alley (which is mostly awful IMO except when it's wonderful), just make sure to clear off of Spruce ASAP.

TS
NESkiBum

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Here's a weird piece of advice: Avoid Spruce, the black diamond that runs under the Colorado chair. It has an unfortunate mix of "my first black diamond" skiers, skiers in wedges, and skiers going way too fast for when other people are around, flying over the rollers without checking their landing spots. It has an unfortunate history. If you are enjoying High A bumps or Callie's Alley (which is mostly awful IMO except when it's wonderful), just make sure to clear off of Spruce ASAP.

Thanks Monique. I will definitely take that into consideration. I ski at Loon Mountain in the Northeast which is one of the busiest around given it's proximity and ease of access from Boston. I typically get out early before the crowds come and know where to hide once they are there. Again, thanks for all the info. It's very helpful.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd suggest the beginners take lessons ON PEAK NINE, which boasts some of the best beginner terrain anywhere. Experienced skiers can enjoy blues, black groomers and ungroomed double blacks (on the north side of Peak Nine), and have easy access to similar slopes on Peak 10. That way, they can get together easily with the beginners in the party. You can get off the gondola on Peak Seven, skipping the congestion on Eight, which collects folks coming up from town via both the gondola and the Snowflake chair, and have access to both the blues that make up the lower slopes of Seven and the routes to Peak Six. Beginners will enjoy neither Seven nor Six. The free bus service provides regular and easy transportation between Peaks Eight and Nine for less experienced skiers. The Interconnect and E Chair lifts do the same for experienced skiers.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
...One amendment to Doug's informative post - there are no greens on peak 7. There are very mellow blues throughout. The runouts just above the Independence lift are suddenly steeper (true blue), which leads to some scrape and bump formation. Peak 7 is intermediate skier heaven.

Wirepatch, Angel's Rest, and Lincoln Meadows ski like greens. But my perspective is a little biased, I guess.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wirepatch, Angel's Rest, and Lincoln Meadows ski like greens. But my perspective is a little biased, I guess.

Not like peak 9 greens, though. More like A Basin greens. And yes, it's amazing how perspective changes.

Sponsor

Staff online