• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
During my time as admin on Epic I sent a welcome PM to every new member via an automated system. People often replied to me asking where to find their epic mix photos that were taken on vacation.
VR could very easily be justified in simply linking "epicski.com" to their epic pass purchase page.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Being a newb on epicski I think the shutdown sucks but understand the writing was on the corporate wall for a while, thankfully I had found PugSki and joined a couple weeks ago and glad I did. Now I need a new avatar.

Here's to building new threads and new old friends

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
epicski was a tremendous resource for me when i first started skiing as an adult. it led me ski diva, and here too. for that i am grateful. i am sad about the content - the amazing trip reports have kept me planning and dreaming of skiing new places for the past few years. i'm glad to be on pugski though, and excited to ski with people from this site. i've already met a bunch of you through the ski diva, and looking forward to meeting more. here's to reconnecting with old friends, making new friends and skiing epically!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
VR could very easily be justified in simply linking "epicski.com" to their epic pass purchase page.
So then all of us who posted on Epicski over the years were paving the way for VR to get to the top of certain searches by leveraging prior activity on the domain. Kind of warms my heart (not). Interesting when commerce harvests passion as it often does with sports and recreation.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
epicski was a tremendous resource for me when i first started skiing as an adult. it led me ski diva, and here too. for that i am grateful. i am sad about the content - the amazing trip reports have kept me planning and dreaming of skiing new places for the past few years.!

Yes - and in funding Epicski, VR _was_ doing a part in funding the development of future generations of skiers, skiers who could become Epicpass purchasers.

James

Out There
Instructor
And the humor: frankly I will miss having the opportunity to go back and view, as I did within the last year, threads such as: "Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out west ?!" Or Red helmet/grey helmet.

Just copy those two threads right there and you have a treasure trove of trivial and often absurd entertainment, as well as some incredibly useful information. Rare combinations.
Red/Gray... Well since it's water under the bridge... I confess I took up the cause of the guy on skier's left because everyone was taking the other guy. Then I actually came to believe it and still do. What started as a troll became educational. ogsmile Some people weren't happy as I was told by old fart (name changed) that "people like you...", as if I was advocating child abuse. It's not "below", but "ahead" in the current responsibility code. Before that thread I didn't know. Sometime around there I recited 2,3,4 of the code off the cuff to incredulous participants in a clinic.

Epic has mirrored the internet really. Back in 2003 in Brighton,UT at the first Academy I remember being in the lodge at lunch when a lady asked who we were. When she got the response "an internet group", and then people were introduced with screen names, she had a look of panic and about ran for the door. Only wackos were in internet groups.

The whole Scsa wars and the battle with a certain spamming internet ski group caused a lot of searching of how to deal with that. It was way more involved and lengthy than anyone knows. Including contact with the guru to no avail. At that time posts were like sacred cows - not to be touched if no obvious problem. Moderation became very necessary and then some topics just had to be banned. Now most accept that unmoderated forums are a mess. Lord of the Flies.

The current issue is now what happens when the host decides to get rid of something that's 1 year shy of being two decades old. There was a lot of quality content in there that people put a lot of time into. Does it just disappear?

Vail's action is indefensible. For a company that supposedly cares about skiing and it's history to throw away nearly twenty years of it is disgraceful. When they went through their anniversary a few years ago, plenty of videos were posted on epic about Vail. I know I posted several. The history was important no matter how one felt about the place now. But I guess not for Vail.

Last edited:

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Don't forget the hundreds of EPIC Ski posts that trashed Vail Resorts (MTN) and the mountains purchased by Vail Resorts. EPIC Ski is a liability to MTN. It hurts to see the content go, but that's life. I seriously doubt Apple, Disney, Marriott, and most other corporations own websites bashing its products or promoting competing products. Why should MTN save that content?

PUGSKI opened with a promise to those of us who were growing bored or disillusioned with EPIC Ski: "Ski talk at a higher level." It delivered. Now it is suddenly and shockingly bigger overnight. The founders are taking the high road without a hint of arrogance or smugness. They are still committed to "Ski talk at a higher level" and they are committed to continued improvement, which includes helping preserve acceptable content from the other site. That's good enough for me.

BTW, I brought over the only thing I cared about and started a thread with it.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget the hundreds of EPIC Ski posts that trashed Vail Resorts (MTN) and the mountains purchased by Vail Resorts. EPIC Ski is a liability to MTN. It hurts to see the content go, but that's life. I seriously doubt Apple, Disney, Marriott, and most other corporations own websites bashing its products or promoting competing products. Why should MTN save that content?

PUGSKI opened with a promise to those of us who were growing bored or disillusioned with EPIC Ski: "Ski talk at a higher level." It delivered. Now it is suddenly and shockingly bigger overnight. The founders are taking the high road without a hint of arrogance or smugness. They are still committed to "Ski talk at a higher level" and they are committed to continued improvement, which includes helping preserve acceptable content from the other site. That's good enough for me.

BTW, I brought over the only thing I cared about and started a thread with it.

:beercheer:

yes! and to see posters still demanding that VR keeps Epic alive so they can continue to trash them.... WTF????

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Faisasy moved to France several years back. I think it was a pretty major job promotion if I remember correctly.

Lewbob retired from skiing as a result of knee problems. Last I knew he was still living in the Denver metro area.

garyskr was a regular visitor for (I think all of) The Let's Go Colorado events, of which there were 5.
I'm fairly certain that 2.5 was the first LGC for @Gary Stolt - his comments in the thread I linked to kinda confirms that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh yawn. No one is demanding Vail keep epic going. Just not trash 20 years of skiing history. At least offer the content to someone to archive and deal with. Keep your stupid epic domain name that was basically stolen- co-opted. Simply by virtue of being too big to sue without financial help. Epicski was using it long before the epic pass.

If posts about Vail were such a big deal they could have been banned. Afaik that never came up. I'd like to see the open ski forum where Vail is not trashed in some way. Never happen.

Any site has issues. Note that here moderation is basically swift and absolute and it's part of the rules. Have 10 x as many posters and things can get different.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
If posts about Vail were such a big deal they could have been banned. Afaik that never came up. I'd like to see the open ski forum where Vail is not trashed in some way. Never happen.

Any site has issues. Note that here moderation is basically swift and absolute and it's part of the rules. Have 10 x as many posters and things can get different.

As an Epic mod, I can say that you're right, there was never a suggestion that anti-Vail talk be banned. We got no direction at all from Vail on mod topics. Mods heard nothing at ALL from Vail.

And your point about 10x as many posters being potentially a problem is spot on.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn, I think we/they need this somewhere

13462_smpte_color_barssvgo.png

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Can't believe no one has mentioned Rise to the Tops fall to the bottom thread. He didn't get flamed on Epic quit as bad as on TGR, but still it was a lot of fun. And, I learned something. While backcountry skiing in New England ALWAYS carry a Glock just in case wolves attack.

Sponsor

Staff online