• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who knows the why or what, there are so many possibilities particularly in a corporate context. But if the platform issue was a trigger then this was likely a low value asset to them they hadn't figured out and it's understandable they would be reticent to sell the name. If the execs were talking publicly about not wanting to divert their focus away from operations and acquisitions towards development then focusing on how to save, sell or run a discussion forum probably didn't make sense.

It is interesting to see something supported by demand but abandoned by infrastructure.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It just occurred to me that you and @Uncle Louie and @SugarCube were the first "internet" people I skied with. That was a bit ago....

.... and at Vail! :ogcool:

The warmup day for...http://www.epicski.com/t/43748/lets-go-colorado-2-5

My other memory of that day was walking by myself through Vail Village back to my rental car at the end of the day a bit exhausted, turning around a corner and completely wiping out on an icy sidewalk sending equipment flying in all directions. :cool:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that thread ... garyskr showing up, whatever happened to faisasy? lewbob! more and more names....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is an interesting read.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm fairly certain this was my first post: http://www.epicski.com/t/19695/first-utah-trip - 10/27/2004 - didn't realize till now that @Gary Stolt replied in that thread.

And this was probably my first time skiing with any of the "internet people" including @KevinF, @bbinder and @Chris Geib - http://www.epicski.com/t/33703/esa-eastern-weekend-report - 12/17/2005. I carted the whole family up to Stowe from PA including my then 3 month old son. I pretty much sucked that weekend but it motivated me to try and get better. Just last month that then 3 month old, now 11 y/o pretty much outskied me at Stowe.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Shirley U. Jest?
4f6890e375464d50b17b0fe72b708fc8.jpg

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
<Snip political commentary because we don't do that here>

We're talking about a forum of probably less than 500 "active" weekly users here, not some major publication.. barely a blip on Vail's radar. They bought it to secure the name trademark, nothing else..NADA! They kept it running a few years simply to not be such a bad evil whatever. Last year they cut the staff in half. Who didn't see this coming? Vail could care less because isn't making significant revenues and that was never their intention.

That seems pretty insightful, and worth quoting for anyone who missed it.

AC_

EpicSki Founder
Skier
I'm here!

PhilPug, thank you for the incredibly touching original post in this thread summarizing the history of EpicSki. Means a lot to me that the memory lives on.

I remember when EpicSki started in the very very beginning, I had several accounts and would hold conversations (outright debates even) with myself in order to create activity so if anyone ever stumbled on this title web outpost they would feel some life and activity there. I was thrilled when a few other *real* people joined my conversations.

As far as I'm concerned, PugSki.com fully inherits the legacy of EpicSki.

Very pleased to meet all of you that I have not seen before in EpicSki. This place looks fantastic!

August Bradley Cenname (aka AC, founder of EpicSki)

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Wow, that thread ... garyskr showing up, whatever happened to faisasy? lewbob! more and more names....

Faisasy moved to France several years back. I think it was a pretty major job promotion if I remember correctly.

Lewbob retired from skiing as a result of knee problems. Last I knew he was still living in the Denver metro area.

garyskr was a regular visitor for (I think all of) The Let's Go Colorado events, of which there were 5.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Posted on Epic in the middle of the night...

For those of you who don't know me, I started EpicSki. I named it (seems in retrospect a bad move given Vail's apparent interest in the name)

First off, you guys are so awesome.

I love this place, so many memories and so many friends. Even as I moved away from skiing and was not here very often, it still had an incredibly special place in my heart. And the members are what made it special and magical.

Only 4 days heads-up after 18 years and such a dedicated passionate community?

It is so incredibly easy to migrate forums, or copy a database. I did it at least four times myself before handing the reins over to Nolo and the expanded team. As Bob Barnes said, there is an obligation and responsibility with operating a platform for others to post/contribute their work in.

Is there any potential in Brian Lindahl's offer to copy the database?

Since time is short, a deep heartfelt thanks to Bob Barnes, Nolo, PhilPug, Trekchick, Lostboy, SkiMangoJazz, SSH and so, so many more who made EpicSki what it became. And thank you Tyler for fighting to save it at the end, despite the disingenuous behavior of the people you were dealing with.

If this site goes down, I will see you all at PugSki.com -- the new home for dedicated skiers. PugsSki.com is totally worthy of inheriting EpicSki's legacy.

-AC (August Bradley Cenname)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Faisasy moved to France several years back. I think it was a pretty major job promotion if I remember correctly.

Lewbob retired from skiing as a result of knee problems. Last I knew he was still living in the Denver metro area.

garyskr was a regular visitor for (I think all of) The Let's Go Colorado events, of which there were 5.

Oh, I knew about Lewbob and I see Gary (now known as Charlie) all the time, that just wasn't worded quite right. Just didn't know where Faisal went.

Gaby

aka Noofus
Skier
What we don't know is if VR will just sit on the URL (404 Not Found) or repopulate the site with content promoting VR properties, or something else. Could it be they thought an Epic branded site was using up too much bandwidth talking about things unrelated to Epic branded properties?

VR could very easily be justified in simply linking "epicski.com" to their epic pass purchase page.

Sponsor

Staff online