• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Maybe we should have a New Orleans - style funeral parade for Epicski. Starts out all somber and sad, turns into a big jazzy street party. Sad over the passing, happy about the fact it was there, and for what comes next.
Founder of the Fagowees Ski Club (skied Heavenly when it had 1 chair and 2 rope tows !)
knew he was about to die so he said he wished we would have a hell of a party
after he died. He even paid for the beer in advance !

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@Tricia and @Philpug - You're gonna need to start showing member join numbers somewhere - so those of us who joined Pugski before EpicSki shut down have a badge of pride!

Seriously though, I do hope someone does download or reposts the educational material that was on EpicSki. I was much more of a lurker there, just reading what came up in specific Google searches or digging through specific threads (was just looking at one about leaky boots), and only joined and started posting there recently. It really is sad that all the content will be lost.
Backing it up should be fine
Reposting it elsewhere may be tricky as Vail or Mtn News may "own" the content.
But if they are giving up on EpicSki we could ask them to allow it to migrate.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't get the posts along the lines of dancing on EpicSki's grave. Yes, some of us knew this was coming over a year ago. yes, several folks warned of the downsides of putting all the data on the Huddler platform should that basket go away. So what, it still really sucks.

I do think there is still room for another US ski forum should someone want to set up a V-Bull site again where people could re-post what they have downloaded. Was there a disclaimer on the download page stating re-posting or sharing the data was a copyright violation? If not, go for it!

Of course, all are welcome here but no dissing or bickering with others about stuff we can't control which has nothing to do with skiing or other leisure activities. Play nice and play often!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of course, all are welcome here but no dissing or bickering with others about stuff we can't control which has nothing to do with skiing or other leisure activities. Play nice and play often!
This!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The initial announcement said all who want to retain their content should download it by noon MDT on Thursday, so it appears they are okay with individuals saving their own content.

Specifically it says " Those EpicSki members who would like to retain their photo albums, unofficial guides, and all other content should download that to their personal storage device by no later than noon MDT on Thursday, April 27, 2017."

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Was there a disclaimer on the download page stating re-posting or sharing the data was a copyright violation? If not, go for it!
Since Vail/MNC has decided to let Epicski die and Huddler isn't going to host it, why wouldn't all the content become public? Who's going to be looking to see if posts got moved? That's my simplistic view, the one that would get me in trouble!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This is sad news and rather shocking. Epicski brought a lot of us into ski forums (for better or worse). It could be argued it was the springboard for this site. Epic ski will be missed.

Long live the memories of the Barking Bears!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Just finished data mining all the Epic contact info in my PM section.

Well, hi diddly ho, neighbors. Guess we're going to get all chummy now.
giphy.gif

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@SpikeDog love your avatar. I think I know that guy ;)

Sponsor

Staff online