• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
hopefully this will bring in much needed $$$ for upgrades and what not. they could really use some more snow fences up top, that wind gets mighty fierce and they lose a ton of snow coverage b/c of it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
#keepblueknobtrue

If I was to come back and ski PA, Blue Knob is where I would want to ski.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
One and a half hours away I mostly go to Laurel, two and a half to Blue Knob and three and a half to Wild and Wonderful Canaan Valley. Given conditions last winter, Laurel was the place to ski for expert skiing. I don't think Extrovert, Off the Wall, or the Drop were open but maybe a week, if at all. Maybe some glade skiing in WV if you hit it right.Laurel's Lower Wildcat was open from day 1. Avatar of me on Lower 2/17.

Rob on Lower (4).jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd ski it more if it wasn't 3 hrs away..... for the extra hour I'd just go up to the catskills.
With Huntah just a bit further I see your point. It used to be that you could do it in a day trip from Philly but the Jersey traffic on 287 is rediculous now or at least it was 7 years ago...I can't it seeing being better now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
One and a half hours away I mostly go to Laurel, two and a half to Blue Knob and three and a half to Wild and Wonderful Canaan Valley. Given conditions last winter, Laurel was the place to ski for expert skiing. I don't think Extrovert, Off the Wall, or the Drop were open but maybe a week, if at all. Maybe some glade skiing in WV if you hit it right.Laurel's Lower Wildcat was open from day 1. Avatar of me on Lower 2/17.

View attachment 26833

OTW was open when we were there, but probably shouldn't have been. There was a 5-10 foot strip of totally bare dirt and rocks all the way across the trail when I skied it hahahaha.

I'd like to see better snow management on Extrovert for sure. Past two times we've gone it's been decent when things softened up. Cover was sufficient, but rain and refreeze make it unskiable until the bulletproof coating thaws. Winch cat could manage that problem as much as I hate to have to groom beautiful terrain like that.. the weather patterns make it pretty mandatory if it is to be kept open more than closed.

Did RT 66 have any problems last year or since the new bullwheel replacement a few years ago? I have noticed the other lift, expressway(?) can sag to the point where folks shouldn't be skiing under it when it's super crowded. That's pretty sketchy when it happens..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is cool news.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hearing the sale price was about $1.3 mil.

Guess who on Extrovert at BK:
1300642959_pic9.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
$1.3M...not even a slopeside studio at some ski areas.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
#keepblueknobtrue

If I was to come back and ski PA, Blue Knob is where I would want to ski.
YES same here, best ski area in Midatlantic/PA region if and only if the good trails are open.
(rare as it's so badly run) Maybe new owners can help !

BTW President of my DC Fagowees ski club for 50 years , Dutch Mueller,(RIP) was GM of Blue Knob
in late 60's or early 70's and it wes then crowded with skiers.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'd like to see better snow management on Extrovert for sure. . Winch cat could manage that problem as much as I hate to have to groom beautiful terrain like that.. the weather patterns make it pretty mandatory if it is to be kept open more than closed.
The Bombardier rep showed up one day to Blue Knob with their best steep terrain snowcat. Staff asked if it could go up Extrovert?
Answer was "sure, I'll show you" ! He hopped on the cat and all the employees watched in total amazement as he drove up making
it look easy ! They were expecting a quick death ! No one has had the balls to try this since. :eek:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Great photo of me on Extrovert ! lol Trail looks as good as it gets.

Still have these Fischer RCR Supercarves. They are actually wide in tips and narrow waist. Work great in east but
stink totally in western powder (pitch and dive in powder due to too much sidecut.) Think I made 3 of the BK Gatherings.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would love to give Blue Knob a try, but it is hard to justify the 5 hour drive from NJ.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would love to give Blue Knob a try, but it is hard to justify the 5 hour drive from NJ.

Every time I've made the 6 hour drive to get there we've had several NJ folks there sharing a ski house right on the mountain for the weekend. Usually less than $200 per family for 3-4 nights when we all chip in together on a bigger ski house.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
With Huntah just a bit further I see your point. It used to be that you could do it in a day trip from Philly but the Jersey traffic on 287 is rediculous now or at least it was 7 years ago...I can't it seeing being better now.
If you are on your way to Hunter you should be on 287 very early and the traffic would not be that bad. Returning may be a different story.