• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suzski

Putting on skis
Skier
Dumb and easy question. When chatting in-person rather than online, would one say "DIN" as in "the din in the bar was deafening," or must one say "Dee Eye Enn" to avoid sounding like a bobolyne?

Clearly, I've never given a whole lot of thought to bindings. I've just always gone w/shop recommendations in the past, but now I want to know this stuff. :D

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dumb and easy question. When chatting in-person rather than online, would one say "DIN" as in "the din in the bar was deafening," or must one say "Dee Eye Enn" to avoid sounding like a bobolyne?

Clearly, I've never given a whole lot of thought to bindings. I've just always gone w/shop recommendations in the past, but now I want to know this stuff. :D
You can say either.

There are two ways to look at a binding, as a simple safety device or as a performance interface, the former is not the latter but the latter still can be the former.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I was one of the early adaptors on that PowerTrack 89's, if you do a search on that otehr forum, Epic, you will see some of my psots about it when the skis were released a few years ago. It is a fine ski.

Ah, nice. Yes, I think I saw some of your posts actually, while making a decision. The idea is that it was a good choice for a 6'1 190 lbs intermediate with 40 days on, and looking to ski in a more "natural" resort as Mt Rose typically is (I've gone through brutal,knee high bumps on a "groomed" run last spring). Not too stiff, wide enough to float when needed, nimble enough to stay alive, and good enough on piste to keep improving my carving.

One more question: these come tuned and waxed. Should I still have them tuner and/or waxed at the shop, besides mounting?

Appreciate all the help!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have noticed that ski mount points are very different between manufacturers and types of skis. I wanted to ask if others have tried to keep mounting points ( I would usually measure straight pull from tip to midboot and then tail to mid boot) more consistent between skis in a quiver? For bindings, same question, do you like to keep the same bindings?

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My fave binding right now is the look px15 what current binding is closest to that in how it skis?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah, nice. Yes, I think I saw some of your posts actually, while making a decision. The idea is that it was a good choice for a 6'1 190 lbs intermediate with 40 days on, and looking to ski in a more "natural" resort as Mt Rose typically is (I've gone through brutal,knee high bumps on a "groomed" run last spring). Not too stiff, wide enough to float when needed, nimble enough to stay alive, and good enough on piste to keep improving my carving.

One more question: these come tuned and waxed. Should I still have them tuner and/or waxed at the shop, besides mounting?

Appreciate all the help!
Get them tuned, out of the box, most tunes are inconsistant. Like with most things, all tunes/shops are not created equal. @Bobalooski. @WadeHoliday @Alexzn and myself have had great success with Skis & More in Truckee (who is in between locations at this point) and the other is @smoothrides who is also in Truckee. As far as mounting, I don't think either of these will/can mount.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thing is, these being my only sksi, I would blow a ski day waiting for a tune (we mostly go to Tahoe to Ski). I think some shops will take the gear for an overnight tune. I wonder if California Ski is a good place for tuning, but you are not specifically [edit] recommending them for that

Incidentally, I had my boots fitted at the wrong place in the East Bay, by a very young guy who had never skied (as he mentioned during the conversation). Sigh. They are ok, but I'm sure I could have gotten a much better fit. They certainly didnt feel like a huge improvement over the rentals, despite looking quite striking. Oh well. Live and learn.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thing is, these being my only sksi, I would blow a ski day waiting for a tune (we mostly go to Tahoe to Ski). I think some shops will take the gear for an overnight tune. I wonder if California Ski is a good place for tuning, but you are obviously not recommending them for that

Incidentally, I had my boots fitted at the wrong place in the East Bay, by a very young guy who had never skied (as he mentioned during the conversation). Sigh. They are ok, but I'm sure I could have gotten a much better fit. They certainly didnt feel like a huge improvement over the rentals, despite looking quite striking. Oh well. Live and learn.
It is not that I don't trust or am recommending Calif Ski Co., I personally do not know their tuning but I know the owner @Greg Whitehouse and I would be very surprised that he would let anything out of the store that is not top notch work.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have noticed that ski mount points are very different between manufacturers and types of skis. I wanted to ask if others have tried to keep mounting points ( I would usually measure straight pull from tip to midboot and then tail to mid boot) more consistent between skis in a quiver? For bindings, same question, do you like to keep the same bindings?

I'm tend towards the manufactures recommendation vs consistency between skis. The recommend line tends to have a good bit of thought put into it and is driven by the design and use of the ski. More playful skis tend to get mounted more centered, more directional skis get mounted further back. I've got skis everywhere from -2cm true center to -9cm.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My fave binding right now is the look px15 what current binding is closest to that in how it skis?

I guess I should look I t the spx 15 rocker? Any comparisons from these to the old px15?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I should look I t the spx 15 rocker? Any comparisons from these to the old px15?
SPX 15 Rocker Technically should not be mounted directly on to a ski. This is a bridged binding connecting the toe and heel.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If you are down in the bay, see Greg at California Ski Company him and his crew are some of my favorites.

I owe you yet another glass of wine, Phil. This morning I took my stuff to Greg @ CaliSkiCo. What a treat! They'll get the bindings mounted and the skis tuned for a super reasonable fee (they are running an early season special). But what a difference, when you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

He confirmed my hunch: my boots are not as 'custom fit' as I thought, and not as tight as they should. He'll also help me with the kids for the season.

As it turns out, Greg and I are neighbors (from sister towns East of the Tunnel). He used to run the soccer commission of the rec, non-profit league where I coach. And he skis Deer Valley a lot, which is my fav place. He likes it for the same reasons I do.

Long story short, success story. I'll write a review of their shop as soon as I go through the prep and I can give more specific info.

Cheers!

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So can't be mounted flat?
Can it, yes. Should it, no. Will you find a shop to mount them, maybe. Do they come with a wide brake, no. Can you get a wide brake, not sure. The SPX 15 Rockerflex has a new base design and since it is designed to work with a race plate only which you will find on skinny skis, I would say there is a chance you might not.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I owe you yet another glass of wine, Phil. This morning I took my stuff to Greg @ CaliSkiCo. What a treat! They'll get the bindings mounted and the skis tuned for a super reasonable fee (they are running an early season special). But what a difference, when you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

He confirmed my hunch: my boots are not as 'custom fit' as I thought, and not as tight as they should. He'll also help me with the kids for the season.

As it turns out, Greg and I are neighbors (from sister towns East of the Tunnel). He used to run the soccer commission of the rec, non-profit league where I coach. And he skis Deer Valley a lot, which is my fav place. He likes it for the same reasons I do.

Long story short, success story. I'll write a review of their shop as soon as I go through the prep and I can give more specific info.

Cheers!
Yeah, @Greg Whitehouse is a real good guy and knows his stuff. Reason #235 that you come to Pugski for you ski related information. Tell your friends and pass the word along.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can it, yes. Should it, no. Will you find a shop to mount them, maybe. Do they come with a wide brake, no. Can you get a wide brake, not sure. The SPX 15 Rockerflex has a new base design and since it is designed to work with a race plate only which you will find on skinny skis, I would say there is a chance you might not.

I will keep looking.

I never skied the pivot heel. Do you think p18s would be a good stand for px15 in on a wider ski? The toe looks identical.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will keep looking.

I never skied the pivot heel. Do you think p18s would be a good stand for px15 in on a wider ski? The toe looks identical.
While the PX15/18 does have a following, it is a damn heady binding. I am a fan of the discontinured Pivot 15 and even the 18 which I am running on a few skis.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The Pivots have less delta than the PX, don't they?

My question: can we get the DIN chart from the Jaded Local, September Powder as a sticky?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Pivots have less delta than the PX, don't they?

My question: can we get the DIN chart from the Jaded Local, September Powder as a sticky?

Link please.

Sponsor

Staff online