• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best ski hill to tailgate

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we were tailgating at Mt Rose today we were talking about how much fun it is to do this at places like this.

Arapahoe Basin - famous for its Beach area
Mt Rose with the upper lot you can ski in and out of

What ski hills have a good vibe and set up to tailgate?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Need a list of great ski parking lots for spring partying( err...skiing). I'll add it all of them to my bucket list. Would be great to hit them all in one spring tour

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Need a list of great ski parking lots for spring partying( err...skiing). I'll add it all of them to my bucket list. Would be great to hit them all in one spring tour
That's what I was thinking. I haven't been to enough to have my own list. Hoping to get some vibe going.

I think Bridger Bowl in Montana may be good not sue because I've only been there when its dumping and didn't see any tailgating going on.
@Rio may know about this one.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Skyliner lot @ bachelor. Cruise the plot on skis and back to the lift. Side note - Don't go switch.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now we're getting a list!!
  • Arapahoe Basin - famous for its Beach area
  • Bachelor - Skyliner lot. Cruise the lot on skis and back to the lift. Side note - Don't go Switch. @slowrider
  • Mt Rose with the upper lot you can ski in and out of

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Far East at Squaw. You can often park right next to the lift with very easy on and off the hill. Far East is one of the most relaxed high speed lifts anywhere. It often has nice snow and serves some great terrain if you want to sneak in a run or get called out for a party boast. Basic services (bathrooms and lift tickets) are right there. Cornice Cantina is very close and reasonable for restaurant food and drinks. It's a fun little corner of Squaw.

Better hurry, the new village might change this. On second thought, it might be a while before anything actually gets done at Squaw.

Eric

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Chair 2 at Mammoth
Agree about mammoth chair 2.

Lots of people put out lawn chairs and enjoy the sunshine. They also enjoy other things, mostly legal, sometimes semi-legal.
Not sure I've ever seen a grill though.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird's Bypass Road area above Peruvian Chair seems to get quite a bit of this. It's pretty easy to ski-in/out of for lunch time or après ski grilling.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Chair 2 at Mammoth

+1 on Chair 2. Some people were blocking spaces (or saving them for friends) with their tailgating setups over Memorial Day weekend. I got a spot in lot next to a motorhome on Saturday, but had to park across Highway 203 (closer than some of the lot) on Sunday, even though I arrived about 7:30 both days.

Kirkwood has a lot of good places to tailgate: lot below Cornice chair is best and along road and in lots at Timber Creek base also works. Too bad they closed more than 2 1/2 months too early this year.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
080.jpg 115.jpg

Stateside lot at Jay can get going pretty good in the spring.

Things were going pretty good this year. It was the last good weekend of skiing, april 23, I think. Couldn't stay till the end ,had to leave at 5:00 pm to hightail it back to TO
(there are a couple of pugski stickers there, though. on the other side of the old tram car)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This probably isn't technically tailgating, but if it's reasonably clear on the evening before the night of the full moon (the moon comes up an hour earlier) the top of the ski area where I work can be sort of bacchanaliac. People skin or hike up and the patrol cabin and the adjacent hiker's hut get quite the bbq and beverage scene going on. There can be tunes either from portable speakers or people playing instruments, depending. Both the buildings are wood-heated so you can dry out and warm up while the meat's grilling.

There's a great view of the city lights and the moonlit valley below, and the adjacent mountain ranges. The night-shift groomers flash their lights and wave as they drive by, and the run down in moonlight is (usually) a lot of fun. The recent explosion of skinning has made for some surprising crowds on occasion.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now we're getting a list!!
  • Arapahoe Basin - famous for its Beach area
  • Bachelor - Skyliner lot. Cruise the lot on skis and back to the lift. Side note - Don't go Switch. @slowrider
  • Jay - Stateside
  • Kirkwood - Timber Creek Lot
  • Mammoth - Chair 2
  • Mary Jane - C Lot
  • Mt Rose with the upper lot you can ski in and out of
  • Squaw - Far East
  • This secret place @pais alto speaks of.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Hey, it's no secret. If ever anyone here is in New Mexico during a full moon and doesn't fear skinning/hiking, let me know - we'll go. It's sort of a patrol tradition for the February moon to have bbq brisket and Manhattans. One year we had to bring an over-Manhattened 'troller down in a toboggan. He ended up sleeping it off in the aid room. I can't remember if he got an IV in the morning...

Sponsor

Staff online