• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This thread is inspired by a video in which Mikaela Shiffrin talks about finding rhythm in a course during pre-inspection, and her affinity to music and dance, of which she has posted a number of videos at her Instagram account.

*grin* have you ever seen the drill video where she talks about intentionally breaking rhythm?

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't see a problem listening to music whilst skiing. I only do it when skiing alone. Typically I don't have anyone overtaking me from behind. I wait patiently for the line I'm on to be completely clear and tend to ski areas that aren't crowded. I keep my head on a swivel if there are others around me. 34 years of skiing and have never been hit. Knocking on wood now. I like "We got the beat" by the Go Go's especially in the bumps.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't listen to music while I ski. While at the base area or standing in lift lines I really like music that involves yodeling, accordions, and tubas. Sadly I don't hear that combination much anymore.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Come to think about it, all the base lifts at Tremblant have some sort of music. The crowd may or may not like it, but the lifee's do. I'm not sure if that sound coming out of the Adrenaline Park is music.....not a fan of rap.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't listen to music while I ski. While at the base area or standing in lift lines I really like music that involves yodeling, accordions, and tubas. Sadly I don't hear that combination much anymore.

That's my driving music :P

Come to think about it, all the base lifts at Tremblant have some sort of music. The crowd may or may not like it, but the lifee's do. I'm not sure if that sound coming out of the Adrenaline Park is music.....not a fan of rap.

Yeh, that's like gym music - it's only there for the people who work there. The paying customers who really want music have their own headphones and the rest are getting a headache.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't see a problem listening to music whilst skiing. I only do it when skiing alone. Typically I don't have anyone overtaking me from behind. I wait patiently for the line I'm on to be completely clear and tend to ski areas that aren't crowded. I keep my head on a swivel if there are others around me. 34 years of skiing and have never been hit. Knocking on wood now.

This is me as well. I give my intermediate kids a HUGE head start and don't even push off until they disappear over the rollers.

I've had several close calls in the past two years.. Every time it is an out of control snowboarder crashing in a heap trying to avoid me as I am slowing down to stop with or ahead of my kids whom I've passed or met up with. I ski behind my kids as a blocker.

But, skiing alone I've also had similar near misses when I slow down or stop, and always off to the far side of the trail.. It's the one turn heel skidding snowboarder or one wedge wonder skier who can't turn the other way that almost blasts me.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I like "We got the beat" by the Go Go's

Wow, cantunamunch! I didn't know that YouTube, which can link from here, had music! I assumed that it can't be had for free! Here's the link to agreen's bump favorite, We Got the Beat. I definitely feel the bumps in that one.

Here's the Aretha Franklin song that gets my hips moving

And here's Poison Lips by Vitalic, to Lila Lapanja's SL skiing. Because I've associated the music to this video, this gets me focused on skiing at speed with utmost precision.

And, wow, the Katy Perry song in a video set in an amusement park, how's that for a connection? The roller coaster puts me right on my imaginary skis!

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
1) the finest ski song I know is Fantasy by Earth Wind and Fire. It makes me smile all the way down.
What can I say I'm old.

It's May, ski season is over for me, and you are putting me back on the slopes!

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
all the base lifts at Tremblant have some sort of music.

Oh, you have to check out some of the resorts in Japan. Some pipe music throughout the entire mountain, or on every chair lift all the way up. You will want your Bose noise cancellation earbuds on; then, you might as well play the music you want to listen to :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh, you have to check out some of the resorts in Japan. Some pipe music throughout the entire mountain, or on every chair lift all the way up. You will want your Bose noise cancellation earbuds on; then, you might as well play the music you want to listen to :)
The smaller place that we go to has speakers base to peak on most of the lift towers.. They play the classic rock station bell to bell.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Blood Sugar Sex Magic by that chili peppers is a great one due to that slow hip hop beat style.

Ok, this type of music is foreign to me, but the opening segment helps a lot to get me into the rhythm. I visualize making really strong turns down a steep, wind-affected (to really feel resistance) face, busting the snow. Medium turn, medium turn, short short short; medium, medium, short, short, short. Very cool.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok, this type of music is foreign to me, but the opening segment helps a lot to get me into the rhythm. I visualize making really strong turns down a steep, wind-affected (to really feel resistance) face, busting the snow. Medium turn, medium turn, short short short; medium, medium, short, short, short. Very cool.

Great visual. I want to work more on visualization when certain songs come on. The other one i like by the chilli peppers is the adventures of rain dance Maggie. Faster tempo and a killer base line.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yes, the best of both worlds. Skiing with music is like skiing with your own soundtrack. I do't too often but when I do it is usually something that is fun and has a good beat. Two very different bands that come to mind that I enjoy...AC/DC and The Beastie Boys.

Back n black by AC/DC or Paul Revere by the Beasties are 2 of my faves. Fun with a good beat is key for me too.

Last edited: