• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best food you've ever eaten. Weirdness encouraged.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Weird one would be School Food Pizza Burgers!, district 191 Minnesota.

Ski resort food, Buck Hill MN donuts

More conventional, a friend's dad founded this place.. Bone suckin' BBQ..

Leo's BBQ

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I get this for lunch about every two weeks. The egg is lightly poached and it's all served in a small cast iron skillet. Will take a picture next time I order it:

Farm Egg chorizo chipotle, salsa verde, cilantro, scallions, fried rice

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Every Christmas Eve "7 Fishes" and the desert isn't bad after dinner.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want weird, maybe you need to go to a state fair. BIg E in New England has a bacon cheeseburger with onions on a glazed donut, deep-fried twinkies or snickers, the "turducken" sandwich, a cinnamon-raisin cone filled with bacon mac&cheese, and deep-fried martinis. Yow!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you want weird, maybe you need to go to a state fair. BIg E in New England has a bacon cheeseburger with onions on a glazed donut, deep-fried twinkies or snickers, the "turducken" sandwich, a cinnamon-raisin cone filled with bacon mac&cheese, and deep-fried martinis. Yow!
OK..I am intrigued. :martini:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not weird at all, but pretty much my favorite food ever is the German cuisine served at The Bavarian Chef Restaurant in little Madison, VA. I first went to this restaurant probably 25 years ago. On occasion they serve something called Rindsrouladen, which is sort of a beef roll consisting of ground veal wrapped in tender sliced beef. Onions, pickles, bacon, etc. all involved in a rich, brown sauce coating the roll. That's my favorite. This place also serves great all-you-can-eat family style sides like creamed corn, red cabbage, spätzle, etc. I'm sure my opinion is super biased because I usually only go to this restaurant when I'm starving after a day of skiing or hiking. Massanutten ski area and Shenandoah National Park/Appalachian Trail are nearby. Snatched off the internet, this might be a photo of their Rindsrouladen, but in my memory it was twice this size:
the-bavarian-chef.jpg

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
La Casa Pizza in Omaha - love it!
download (1).jpg
download.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not like Casa Bonita, is it? That was one of my weirdest food experiences, ever.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Oddly, since the food threads started (this and the comfort food thread), I've been seeing more food-related ads at the top of the page. Is something going on here?

The magic of the internet.

Best food memory:

Freshly dug new potatoes, boiled and served with fresh butter and parsley. In Vermont - Marshfield, I think, in about 1974. Tasted nothing like potatoes I'd ever had before, or since.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

The Big E! A state fair for all 5 New England states, bigger, louder and with stupider food than smaller fairs. I live in the next town over, a nightmare for traffic for 3 weeks every fall!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe not the best, but some of the most memorable meals were after I came in from a long stint on a wildfire on Alaska. On fires there you got military rations (C-rats when I started, later MREs) for three days, then they'd paracargo or helicopter in boxes of fresh(er) food that were numbingly uniform - beef steaks, canned ham, hot dogs, potatoes, onions, rice, bread, pb&j, canned fruit, oatmeal, coffee...etc. that you prepared over an open campfire. After 10 or more days on a fire later in the season you got so f'n sick of the food...

Anyway, I got in the habit when I came home off a fire there of taking a long, long shower (no showers on AK bush fires) and maybe a sauna, putting on some nice clean clothes, picking up my mail, and going to a restaurant on the river where they served fresh oysters and draft beer. I'd get a couple dozen oysters, a couple Alaskan Amber drafts, and a big ol' salad, sit out on the deck by the river and eat food that hadn't come out of a box or bag. Those were exquisite meals.

One time we spent a week in pre-Katrina New Orleans hitting some of the best restaurants in the Garden District and French Quarter. For my money, I don't think you can beat the food and service in New Orleans overall - the people there take those things seriously. That was an awesome week.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
That's not like Casa Bonita, is it? That was one of my weirdest food experiences, ever.

Not sure if it is the same Casa Bonita franchise, but as as kid in Oklahoma City, we nicknamed it Trasha Bonita.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Years ago, I was served red curry zebra in Kenya. Didn't like it at all. To this day, I won't eat red curry anything.

A couple weeks ago, the tables were turned - almost.

zebra.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
The farm egg, chorizo, black beans, scallions, fried rice. The rice is incredible. Talked to the chef today to find out how he makes it. He cooks it normally, then let's it dry out. After that, it gets coated with tapioca starch and dropped in the deep fryer. Finally finished by pan frying in brown butter with the other ingredients. Comes out crunchy, spicy, and delicious.

I must say, not only is it one of the best things I've ever had, it has magical hangover killing abilities.

Edited to add - after I posted this, I saw ads for a morning vinegar cleanse. Go figure.

IMG_1195.JPG

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Years ago during a climbing trip my climbing buddy wanted to hike Mt. Washington on one of our off days. So we did, and the weather was shit. Torrential rains and flooding had caused most of the trails to practically be rivers, and we had chosen a route with a bit of scrambling (which on wet rock was more than a bit sketchy to put it mildly). We made it to the top, and busted out some food. I had some crappy bars or something, and then my climbing buddy pulled out a can of plain tuna, in olive oil, and it was like the nectar of the gods. Then, he pulled out a can of beer and we all split it on the summit.

Hard work makes simple food taste amazing.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

No it isn't. I have eaten a few times at Casa Bonita in Denver back when I was a kid in the 1970s. I remember watching cliff divers while eating.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No it isn't. I have eaten a few times at Casa Bonita in Denver back when I was a kid in the 1970s. I remember watching cliff divers while eating.
I ended up there while traveling in Colorado with my sister and her family. My brother-in-law had vivid memories of that place from his childhood, and he wanted to re-live the experience, so to speak. We had a good laugh there.

Sponsor