• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best food you've ever eaten. Weirdness encouraged.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Last week:

1/2 pound kosher beef dog with applewood smoked bacon, dill pickle spears, and crunchy peanut butter on a poppy seed bun.

Shockingly and unexpectedly delicious. Sweet potato tots were the side. I'd order it again right now.

Also last week - vesuvio squid ink pasta tossed with mussels. That probably does not qualify as weird, but it was way outside my personal comfort zone. And it was incredible.

Every Sunday morning - fresh pickled jalapeño and cheddar cheese bagel, toasted, with whipped cream cheese. Again, not weird per se, but delicious.

Please post up your food adventures or personal staples of awesomeness.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Key Lime pie. Made with limes from my backyard. I made some for a friend in Park City last year (took the lime juice up with me) and her friend, a man of few words, said "Damn fine pie." :) @lswedish has had some of that as well...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Fresh Aichi Prefecture tomatoes, hon maguro sashimi in wasabi-joyu sprinkled with chopped nori from Niigata, tandoori leg of lamb on Clarke Quay in Singapore, apfelstrudel at Willie's Pielstube in Stuben, Austria. I'd put that meal up against anything, anywhere.
Of course, :useless:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a Fettuccine Alfredo in the North End of Boston that I still wake up in the middle of the night having cravings for. When I was working out of Hungary in the early 90's, my boss took me to this local...not even sure it was really a...restaurant that had the most amazing fried goose liver that just melted in your mouth. I am sure I will ever have anything like it again.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went camping and got a 100 of these from a local farm. Shared with 5 others.... Mine were mostly raw with a touch of lemon and tobasco, others grilled over the camp fire

raw_oyster.jpg

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Fresh shrimp right out of the water. Steamed.

Lobster right off the boat is up there too.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a Fettuccine Alfredo in the North End of Boston that I still wake up in the middle of the night having cravings for. When I was working out of Hungary in the early 90's, my boss took me to this local...not even sure it was really a...restaurant that had the most amazing fried goose liver that just melted in your mouth. I am sure I will ever have anything like it again.

Hungary has some of the absolute best foods I've ever eaten. Hungarian Goulash is a hands-down favorite of mine.

Then there was the time a couple friends and myself ordered "three food" at a restaurant in Budapest...restaurant might be too strong of a word, it was more like grandma's kitchen, with 4 (instead of 1) dining room tables. My mouth still waters thinking about that meal, even though I'm not too sure what it was. Kind of a beef-cabbage-rice meatball with an incredible paprika sauce on top.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hungary has some of the absolute best foods I've ever eaten. Hungarian Goulash is a hands-down favorite of mine.

Then there was the time a couple friends and myself ordered "three food" at a restaurant in Budapest...restaurant might be too strong of a word, it was more like grandma's kitchen, with 4 (instead of 1) dining room tables. My mouth still waters thinking about that meal, even though I'm not too sure what it was. Kind of a beef-cabbage-rice meatball with an incredible paprika sauce on top.
We were with some locals and it was simply amazing. If we ever meet, remind me to tell you my story about going up to Pećs.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fresh Aichi Prefecture tomatoes, hon maguro sashimi in wasabi-joyu sprinkled with chopped nori from Niigata, tandoori leg of lamb on Clarke Quay in Singapore, apfelstrudel at Willie's Pielstube in Stuben, Austria. I'd put that meal up against anything, anywhere.
Of course, :useless:

You're the second person to speak of fresh Aichi tomatoes... hmmm...

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Oddly, since the food threads started (this and the comfort food thread), I've been seeing more food-related ads at the top of the page. Is something going on here?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Fresh Oysters from Gouville-sur Mer. I love oysters and these were sublime. Kind of like drinking Montrachet, once you do, now other white wine, no matter how much you like it, will ever be quite satisfactory.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was working out of Hungary in the early 90's, my boss took me to this local...not even sure it was really a...restaurant that had the most amazing fried goose liver that just melted in your mouth. I am sure I will ever have anything like it again.

Something having to do with foie gras, probably seared.

Foie gras / (fatten) goose liver is one of my favorite food groups. A hotel Manager turned me onto it while we were skiing Val d'isere back in the early '80s. Always order it whenever I see it on the menu. Love to do it at home. Tough to find a retailer for it, even in NYC.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once ate a meal at WD-50 in NYC. Wiley Dufresne was into "molecular gastronomy". Unfortunately, I can't even tell you accurately what I ate: each course had elements that were freeze-dried, flash-frozen, pouffed, foamed, ashed...whatever. But it was the very best meal I'd ever eaten -- and probably will remain so for the rest of my life as well.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We were with some locals and it was simply amazing. If we ever meet, remind me to tell you my story about going up to Pećs.

I'll remember that one. I've been there... Pecs is one sweet little town.

I was going to have a salad with chicken on it for dinner...but after reading everything here I think I need to rethink that decision.