• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Budget Dream Car (Is there such a thing)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Must ... resist .... temptation .... for ... new .... project......

View attachment 14206
Why did "Mrs. Robinson" immediately start playing in my head? Dit dit dit dit dah did it did...And here's to you..Mrs. Robinson... Now I won't get it out of my head, thank you. ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can a BMW 3.0 CSi be had for 50K?
maxresdefault.jpg
I miss skinny A, C & D pillars. Even mid 80's 633, 635 and M6's are drool worthy. Honda had a great run of these in the 90's with the Prelude and first Legend Coupe.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I love all kinds of cars but have a soft spot for for V-8's and also for cars that handle. They need to be a bit raw though. My Dad has a 2015 Vette and it is very fast and insanely capable....and incredibly boring (not camry boring but boring for a sports car). My old 04 Mustang Mach 1 that I did some suspension work to was much more fun.

Wagons are cool too! This popped up for auction on one of my favorite sights. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/ Had I been in a different position, it would have been mine...probably :)

Go to 1:54. Early on in the development. A bit too raw. Higher lift cam at the time. Change in cam and additional tuning was bringing him MPG's in 20's to low 30's when cruising.

Instead I'll be driving a new Wrangler Unlimited in January. But that's the right tool for the job I'll need it to do for the next year.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm, 2015 Mercedes Sprinter minivan, dynamatted throughout with a camp bed in back, bluetec diesel. Wants 37,500 for it, that would leave money for hybrid tires. Wasn't sure which thread to post this puppy in, we have so many that it can be contextualized to, like

The plight of the minivan

@Philpug 's Jetta going back thread
What is your ultimate storm chasing vehicle

but it sure comes close to something I might actually want.

14492436_10202082128011233_7249336031558425425_n.jpg
14502946_10202082128091235_1387311771733271016_n.jpg
If we were replacing the Yukon, this might be a viable option but a bit of overkill for replacing the JSW.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Focus RS $35k. Leaves me 15k to put into it :drool:
Wish they'd make the Fiesta in AWD...

I sat in one of these yesterday. Stickered at 42k, and the dealer had a 4k "pip" on it.

So 46k total. I love the 5-door Focus, but even in RS guise, it's still a Focus!

I know this is a dream car thread, but if you change it to ski car, I'd go with the new Alltrack VW with a stickshift and two seasons of skiing wherever the snow is awesome, while staying only in awesome lodgings, cost be damned. No advance planning. None. That would be an amazing $50k experience!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I sat in one of these yesterday. Stickered at 42k, and the dealer had a 4k "pip" on it.

So 46k total. I love the 5-door Focus, but even in RS guise, it's still a Focus!

I know this is a dream car thread, but if you change it to ski car, I'd go with the new Alltrack VW with a stickshift and two seasons of skiing wherever the snow is awesome, while staying only in awesome lodgings, cost be damned. No advance planning. None. That would be an amazing $50k experience!
Guess I'd have to search and haggle a little. But I'm just going off internet/mfgr listed prices. Besides, I have a bit of a grudge against foreign vehicles. It's a long story.

Although, that makes me think, @Philpug would you own an AWD Miata?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Guess I'd have to search and haggle a little. But I'm just going off internet/mfgr listed prices. Besides, I have a bit of a grudge against foreign vehicles. It's a long story.

Although, that makes me think, @Philpug would you own an AWD Miata?
Nope. No need for AWD in a Miata, RWD only.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hmmm, 2015 Mercedes Sprinter minivan, dynamatted throughout with a camp bed in back, bluetec diesel. Wants 37,500 for it, that would leave money for hybrid tires. Wasn't sure which thread to post this puppy in, we have so many that it can be contextualized to, like

The plight of the minivan

@Philpug 's Jetta going back thread
What is your ultimate storm chasing vehicle

but it sure comes close to something I might actually want.

The Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 made into an RV might be something that I would want but could not get for under $50k. However it doesn't matter due to the lack of Mercedes dealers outside of large urban areas makes it a deal killer on its own when compared to Ford, GMC, Ram parts and service that are available all over rural north America. Do the domestic manufacturers make large 4x4 vans?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Well, the Sprinter is also sold as Dodge

AFAIK, Dodge has re-branded their trucks Ram and no longer sell, service, or carry parts for Dodge Sprinter vans. Dodge Sprinter vans have Mercedes chassis and have to go to a Mercedes dealer for parts and service.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
. Do the domestic manufacturers make large 4x4 vans?
Yes, I don't think Chrysler (Dodge) does any more anymore, but Ford and GM still do. I would take a 7.3 Powerchoke Extinction over a van though. Put a Sportsmobile top on it, and you're set. 19-20ish mpg on the highway, way more utilitarian, cheaper fuel (most places any way), will run FOREVER.

AFAIK, Dodge has re-branded their trucks Ram and no longer sell, service, or carry parts for Dodge Sprinter vans. Dodge Sprinter vans have Mercedes chassis and have to go to a Mercedes dealer for parts and service.
Yes, Chrysler split the Ram brand from Dodge about 8 years ago. I believe you are correct on the service/parts as well.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@cantunamunch - the dodge sprinter was a TURD !
Had an '08 3500 for two years before a snowplow truck ran into it - never been happier to see a vehicle get wrecked. I lost count how many times that thing had to go in the shop in the two years.
I've yet to get the replacement 3500 2WD sprinter stuck, although I do run studs all the way around in the winter months. Awesome van and when it's retired from its construction gig it's going to be a custom pimped out ski buggy. A quiver carrier below the sleeping area and solar array on the roof and a big comfy couch for booting up and parking lot BBQ action.
If I could go back in time I would have kept the '72 csi like @epic or my original ski buggy, the 2002tii.
Man, I miss both of those and at the time you could have both for under 50k !

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How about this (maybe using a Tundra Instead) :thumb::cool:

15025408_948633261936808_6746894246705302575_o.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight