• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Budget Dream Car (Is there such a thing)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Man you lot are fancy with your offroad. Not a dream as I've already had my fill of, but hey a Lada Niva diesel certainly fits the budget (can't be rsed to search images on fone)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Nice but what about the value of the labor? How much would to cost for anyone to have it the way you have it.. i.e. if they weren't mechanically inclined?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^Nice but what about the value of the labor? How much would to cost for anyone to have it the way you have it.. i.e. if they weren't mechanically inclined?

Buy one that has the labor in it - that value is lost on resale in this part of the market (as opposed to something much newer). Mint low miles stock 80 series, which are extremely rare but pop up from time to time, are worth more by quite a bit than a rig with $10K of mods and labor on top. It's the collector class and at times people just believe too much in low miles, which really just doesn't matter much on this platform (or the later series). Go to IH8MUD.com to the classified section to get a feel for things. What you could get for $50K is off the charts.

The only major recurring labor cost that I would call "shop cost" I have done myself is rebuild of the front axle (all the bearings) fairly regularly due to tire size. Probably have saved a couple grand as that is a dirty grind it out job. And there's belt changes and oil changes and that stuff that is common to any vehicle.

Want a shop to install the suspension lift will cost a few franklins vs. doing it yourself. Part of the trade here is that it's not super wise to get too far afield without some basic shade tree mechanic skills. I'm not a garage dude - just wanted to make sure I learned enough to be able to handle things and obviously the budget side.

But these days, with YouTube, a guy or gal with a set of wrenches and a few speciality tools (and a lot of persistence) can do an $800 timing belt job in the driveway. Again, it's long and grinding, but they take you through it bolt by bolt. This stuff can extend the cost of ownership equation by years. I bought a 2004 Sequoia Limited for $6K this summer. It's just in outstanding condition with 258K on the clock and some nice upgrades by the PO.

Here's me taking apart the front of the engine, using a $170 Aisin (OEM parts) kit off Amazon for the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners. Replaced the fan clutch and thermostat for another $100. All pretty and new (at least once it was back together )...

image.jpeg

And I'm spending that savings on a proper and major suspension upgrade of course...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Man you lot are fancy with your offroad. Not a dream as I've already had my fill of, but hey a Lada Niva diesel certainly fits the budget (can't be rsed to search images on fone)

Go check out Expedition Portal. Car camping has been turned into $50K of accessories :D.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heh, I've done timing and accessory belts and head gaskets and heater cores before and all I had to show for it in the end is an Olds Firenza :roflmao:, hardly anyone's concept of dream car. In other words, I'm with you in that anyone who can mount their own bindings here is probably able to do functional work on one of ^those.

(Would still rather take the $50K to Amsterdam tho)

Reactions: nay

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This past year we indulged on an X3 (the one with the larger engine), just within this budget (50 grand). OMG. It's the perfect SUV for us, being 4. A ton of fun to drive, super precise steering and stiff enough suspension to be sporty but with comfort. The electronics are terrible, but the engineering is over the top, otherwise. I know it's not everybody's dream car, but we are living the dream. In full honesty, I barely get to use it, but I hear from Mrs Mendieta that it rocks :)

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I feel the same way about the GLC300 I bought at the end of May. Just hit 7k miles on the ODO and couldn't be happier. Hauls the kids and their gear when needed. Hauls the dogs. Did a good job on a family car camping weekend. Great highway cruiser for the long day trips I end up taking more often than I would like. Reasonably fun when the road gets twisty considering what it is. And so far lifetime mpg is about 27 - highway only is close to 30. In the unfortunate event I had to replace it, I'd be hard pressed not to get another.

MidASkier

Booting up
Skier
4x4 Sprinter van. Plenty of room for demo skis too!
View attachment 13650

I was actually at one of the largest RV shows yesterday in Hershey, PA. They are doing some amazing things with the Sprinters. Many sleep 4 while still getting great fuel mileage.

These are not budget friendly. Yes I know a bit off topic.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Had to beat a e30 M3 in this role... pure german function!
(euro spec at that!!!)
E30's have been going for more than E36's.

Miatas...$8-10K buyes you a stellar MA, really nice NB or a average NC...your choice.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'd go for this certified Tundra TRD PRO with 4200 miles for $47,000.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/679695365/overview/

It's off-road, powder chasing, and zombie apocalypse escape ready stock with a factory warranty. I'd use the extra $3K for Studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's for winter tires.

This is my dream road trip, just add skis and bikes:

And, no need to worry about gas mileage. It's got a 38-gallon gas tank. ;)

Solid plan! Except you'll need some armor for the Denver portion of the ZA. That thing is too big to just 'slip away'.

Sponsor