• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beginner child lesson lessons

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting granddaughter in skiing. She will be 5 the end of next month.

She came to visit last spring and we "skied" for an hour or so on our local hill. She loved it, except she was frustrated that I didn't just let her GO. She only wanted to straight-line as fast as she could and even figured out how to maneuver around grandma skiing backward in front of her. Seemed like a propitious beginning. she was already turning to avoid being slowed down!

Fast forward to this month. I thought rather than have her irritated at grandma I would put her in a class. Went to Winter Park for a "professional lesson" opted for their "semi-private" half day with max of 5 kids in the class. She was soooo excited.

It did not work out well.

When we went back toward the end of the lesson to spy on her from above, we saw her dutifully go up the magic carpet and do a huge power wedge so that she couldn't really go at all and eventually fall down. Over and Over. Many instructors just skied right by her. Eventually what appeared to be the lift operator came and pick her up and she'd go up and do it again. Her instructor was nowhere in sight. We skied on down for the end of the lesson and waited to speak to her instructor. He never showed! The guy who was watching the lift and who had been picking her up finally came over to speak to us. He explained that the class was a split group with two kids who caught on faster and two kids who were "much worse" than our granddaughter. They went off with instructors, apparently leaving her to basically fend for herself. When I mentioned the previous years' experience and how surprised I was that she was being so cautious to the point of paralyzed, he said something to the effect of "oh yeah, she wanted to go fast so we just let her and she had a couple of big crashes and that took care of that." I was appalled. We continued to wait to speak to her instructor. Nada. The guy then said, I'll fill out her card for you because I don't know where Jeff is. I'm kind of his assistant.

And that was the end of that. $179 for a couple of hours and that is the best that a major "family" resort can do???? No wonder skier visits are flat or down. How does the industry expect to convert kids into skiers if this is the kind of experience families have? Most of the beginner instructors were barely 20 years old and I suspect bored and just marking time.

Is this typical or should I complain?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Also, I would ask here for instructors' recommendations in your area, pay for a fully private lesson, and adjust the length of the lesson to the budget. One hour of instruction with a great instructor will beat several hours of bad instruction, by a mile.

The instructor can give you drills to work on with your little angel after each lesson.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good suggestion. It will have to wait till next year. Hope she is still willing after some time has gone by.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Complain, get a refund, whatever. As a member of the CSIA.....all of that is not something we're allowed to do. I know that in some US resorts, ski instructors do not need to be certified by the PSIA to teach. Not the way things are done in Canada.

I have had this happen with a class, but because of my experience I was able to handle it. I could work with both groups over the 1 3/4 hr lesson. You don't just leave a student to fend for themselves anywhere!

Reactions: TPJ

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, just wow! :nono: What you describe is what I, as a ski instructor, consider is absolutely beyond unprofessional.

I would be talking to the general manager about child safety to begin with not the ski school director. That is totally unacceptable for any ski school. I can't even imagine abandoning a student during a lesson let alone a 5 year old. I'd be very measured in my discussion but it would not be a pleasant discussion for them. I'd demand my money back. They have a lot of explaining to do.

Reactions: TPJ

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Totally unacceptable to leave a student to fend for themselves. Please report the incident and the instructor to management clearly they need more staff to handle mixed abilities. You deserve your money back plus a free lesson imho

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone. I emailed the other Bob Barnes at Winter Park. I'll let you know the response.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
At my local hill, $45 gets you an one on one with my 18 yr daughter who loves to teach girls skiing and/or snowboarding. She even gets $90 tips. :) That is for 1.5 hrs lesson.

I would definitely complain. In the last 4 years she has been instructing, I see it very beneficial for other girls learning to learn from a girl instructor that rocks. :)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
She teaches at Nordic Mountain, www.nordicmountain.com. Closed now, but she will be back for her Christmas break next season.

We live in the Centeral/East Wisconsin area.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sounds like what you got was a ski wee type day care on the carpet run instead of an actual lesson clinic. Some places won't do anything more than that with kids under 6 though.. Still should have had someone besides the lift operator at least showing her how to gt back up. Instructors will tell the little ones to lie flat on their belly with the skis in a V downhill then get up that way. It works well.

Also sounds like the girl went to the other extreme from what happened with you trying.. With you she bombed the hill not doing anything to control her speed. In the half day she would stop and not go at all hahahaha..

Good thing about kids (also a bad thing), they don't retain as much over the off season... because 6 months to them is like 6 years to us older folks.. So, she should be able to start fresh without much memory or habitual defects from the attempts last season. And, she will be stronger..

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard back from the ski school director and he could not have been more gracious. He offered to make it up to us next season. I will report back.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm going to express outrage over something that doesn't seem to have been expressed yet (maybe I missed it) - it's not just that this little girl didn't get a decent lesson or guidance skiing. It's that a four year old was left to her own devices for several hours! I'm not a parent and I don't know how these things go, but that seems batsh*t to me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's that a four year old was left to her own devices for several hours! I'm not a parent and I don't know how these things go, but that seems batsh*t to me.

Not disputing - but it's rather a no no in USAian society for random individuals to take charge of a four year old, no matter those individuals' intentions. Once the designated instructors disappeared the only way for anyone to fix the situation would have been to alert the ski school supervisor - which is what the instructors standing about should have done.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree cantunamunch. It was a multiple failure.

On the other hand @Monique, she was not "alone" in the sense that it was the magic carpet and there were about a zillion people around. She also had a tracking device on her so she could not have wandered off. So bad but not bat shit bad.

Every other experience we have had at Winter Park ski school has been excellent so I am willing to consider this an anomaly until proven otherwise. They have offered her a half day private next season with one of their best children's instructors. Can't really ask for more.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not disputing - but it's rather a no no in USAian society for random individuals to take charge of a four year old, no matter those individuals' intentions. Once the designated instructors disappeared the only way for anyone to fix the situation would have been to alert the ski school supervisor - which is what the instructors standing about should have done.

Right. My point is pretty much "the designated instructors and/or supervisor did something a lot worse than leave a student without instruction."