• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of the country’s biggest craft brewers are struggling with falling sales, hurt by a glut of competitors crowding retail shelves and moves by megabrewers to scoop up some of their rivals.

Besides Sierra Nevada, those losing ground include Sam Adams maker Boston BeerCo. , the biggest independent brewer, as well as smaller producers such as F.X. Matt Brewing Co., which brews Saranac in upstate New York, and Abita Brewing Co. in Louisiana, according to Beer Marketer’s Insights.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-some-craft-brewers-sales-are-tapping-out-1503508466

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Some of the country’s biggest craft brewers are struggling with falling sales, hurt by a glut of competitors crowding retail shelves and moves by megabrewers to scoop up some of their rivals.

Besides Sierra Nevada, those losing ground include Sam Adams maker Boston BeerCo. , the biggest independent brewer, as well as smaller producers such as F.X. Matt Brewing Co., which brews Saranac in upstate New York, and Abita Brewing Co. in Louisiana, according to Beer Marketer’s Insights.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-some-craft-brewers-sales-are-tapping-out-1503508466
Given that less than 13% of beer sold is craft brew and the number of craft breweries and microbreweries has increased exponentially over the last ten years, I'm not surprised. Craft beer sales are still growing, overall, but that is not enough to allow all the breweries to survive when they are flooding the market with so many different products. Craft beer brewer is competing against craft beer brewers. Many fighting for small piece of pie. I have sooo many options when I go to buy beer now that some brews I used to like are neglected for whatever I've recently grown fond of. As much as I'd like to buy all the ones I like, my wallet and fridge can't support that. Nor would my waistline if I was then able to consume them all.

The only way the good craft breweries will stay alive is by shrewd business practices and marketing. Unfortunately, many craft breweries don't have the budget for advertising and have grown based on word of mouth. Where the craft market needs to grow is in that huge chunk of consumers who drink the Bud/Miller/Coors swill. Those BMC drinkers are so brainwashed from the funny TV commercial advertising and what their friends drink (because of the same advertising) that many aren't willing to try craft brew. Even if they liked it, peer pressure and what they've been indoctrinated into thinking beer is supposed to taste like will keep many in the BMC fold. Maybe, if the craft beer associations were able to raise money and put on a TV ad campaign it might start to put a bigger dent in that BMC market. However, the campaign would have to go on indefinitely and would face immediate resistance from the major brewers who have huge marketing budgets. Not sure how they overcome it, really.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given that less than 13% of beer sold is craft brew and the number of craft breweries and microbreweries has increased exponentially over the last ten years, I'm not surprised. Craft beer sales are still growing, overall, but that is not enough to allow all the breweries to survive when they are flooding the market with so many different products. Craft beer brewer is competing against craft beer brewers. Many fighting for small piece of pie. I have sooo many options when I go to buy beer now that some brews I used to like are neglected for whatever I've recently grown fond of. As much as I'd like to buy all the ones I like, my wallet and fridge can't support that. Nor would my waistline if I was then able to consume them all.

The only way the good craft breweries will stay alive is by shrewd business practices and marketing. Unfortunately, many craft breweries don't have the budget for advertising and have grown based on word of mouth. Where the craft market needs to grow is in that huge chunk of consumers who drink the Bud/Miller/Coors swill. Those BMC drinkers are so brainwashed from the funny TV commercial advertising and what their friends drink (because of the same advertising) that many aren't willing to try craft brew. Even if they liked it, peer pressure and what they've been indoctrinated into thinking beer is supposed to taste like will keep many in the BMC fold. Maybe, if the craft beer associations were able to raise money and put on a TV ad campaign it might start to put a bigger dent in that BMC market. However, the campaign would have to go on indefinitely and would face immediate resistance from the major brewers who have huge marketing budgets. Not sure how they overcome it, really.

Yup, way too many micro-breweries and craft beers flooding the market. Some will make it while others will not.

As for converting the other 87% -

Six pack of Bud $6
Six pack of Anchor Steam $11

If you drink "just" one six pack a week, that translates to $250 a year extra. Not going to happen for most of that 87%.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Four-pack of Old Rasputin Imperial stout $11. Drink less, drink better, maybe?

I paid $23 - including tax and tip - for TWO beers last night at my "neighborhood joint". At least I was not with my wife - a glass of wine would have easily been $18. :( Now you know why I buy so much beer in Vermont :beercheer:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We-e-ll, restaurant prices are different. :D Vermont's a great place to buy beer. So is Iowa, I find. Massachusetts, of course.

The prices are indeed different but the beer is the same ogwink

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
A
After Ireland joined the EU, the price of a pint got so high that people stopped going to the pub and started drinking at home. Changed the entire scene.

968.jpeg

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Yup, way too many micro-breweries and craft beers flooding the market. Some will make it while others will not.

As for converting the other 87% -

Six pack of Bud $6
Six pack of Anchor Steam $11

If you drink "just" one six pack a week, that translates to $250 a year extra. Not going to happen for most of that 87%.

I'm keeping an eye on Founders. Anyone know if they're still independent? A six pack of Centennial IPA (92 composite score on BA, 99 according to the bros) is $7.99 at my local co-op, as is their All-Day IPA. That's shooting range of Bud.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I'm keeping an eye on Founders. Anyone know if they're still independent? A six pack of Centennial IPA (92 composite score on BA, 99 according to the bros) is $7.99 at my local co-op, as is their All-Day IPA. That's shooting range of Bud.
I haven't heard of any buyout of Founders. Hope they stay independent as I love their stuff and I quit supporting all those that sold their souls.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I haven't heard of any buyout of Founders. Hope they stay independent as I love their stuff and I quit supporting all those that sold their souls.

They're producing excellent beer in quantity and at a great price. In an ideal world, Alchemist, Tree House, and Toppling Goliath would be as available and as cheap, but Founders will do very well until I can get to Stowe, Monson, or Iowa.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It was a cold mug of Oktoberfest from the keg at the Black Tooth brewery today. Pretty much on the mark for a 94* day. The season of seasonals and bach's is upon us.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well...it's not even 9:30 in the morning here; I should go out on my ride before looking at beer pictures!

Sponsor