• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I want water, I run the tap.
That's what I say. I do like beer on a hot day, but I'll have a glass of water with it. And an IPA is not what I would drink after exercise. If i'm drinking beer on a camping trip, I'll have an insulated pint glass because I can't drink it fast enough to keep it from getting too warm otherwise. So it's not the best thirst quencher.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The USA have had a lousy rep over here in y'rup for the beer. Remember the making love in a canoe-joke? But after a few years in the Midwest (back in y'rup since 2012) I can no longer drink regular lager or pilsner. I need the hops. I'll drink a watery beer on a hot day, but I just can't appreciate a well balanced german or czech beer anymore. Gimme Mosaic, Centinell, Amarillo or Citra. I'll blame it on Summit EPA. That was the starting point. I'd say that the IPA:s etc that came from the US have revolutionized the beer world and beer is now inmo a taste sensation on par with wine. Thank you USA.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The USA have had a lousy rep over here in y'rup for the beer. Remember the making love in a canoe-joke? But after a few years in the Midwest (back in y'rup since 2012) I can no longer drink regular lager or pilsner. I need the hops. I'll drink a watery beer on a hot day, but I just can't appreciate a well balanced german or czech beer anymore. Gimme Mosaic, Centinell, Amarillo or Citra. I'll blame it on Summit EPA. That was the starting point. I'd say that the IPA:s etc that came from the US have revolutionized the beer world and beer is now inmo a taste sensation on par with wine. Thank you USA.
I'm not familiar with that joke...I had a hard time finding a beer I wanted to drink in Europe, except when we found a brewpub in Barcelona that brewed IPAs. In Switzerland my family really annoyed the Swiss waiters in our search for something other than lager. But I have a German friend here who can't find an American beer she likes, and she won't drink the German imports because "they're old." Speaking of Mosaic, there's a local brewery here called Bike Dog that makes a delicious Mosaic Pale Ale. That might be a beer for today, rather than the 9.4% Stone Enjoy By. It's starting to get hot here.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And I think I've been to that pub in Barcelona. The had a few Scandinacian craft brews there as well.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I think I've been to that pub in Barcelona. The had a few Scandinacian craft brews there as well.
Black lab, or Black Dog? I think it's owned by an American couple. They had good food there, too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Here's another IPA vote. But my son is the real beer geek of the family. He likes IPA's, but is really into the sours. I can't do much more than choke a sour down under protest. "à chacun son goût" - each chooses his own goat.
You need to go to Montreal for some remedial French.
Goût is not goat, but taste. To each his own taste.
Chèvre is goat.

I do like your translation though. I will pass it on to my American friend now living in Paris and married to a Frenchman.
...Carry on.

I do hear from a family Ipa snob that Heineken from the factory in Holland is actually good. It is however only like 4 hrs old.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a fan of IPAs, stouts, porters, ambers, reds, brown, bourbon-barrel aged, and ESBs. Not a fan of lagers (would rather drink water), pilsners, sours or hefeweizen. Colorado is at the point where it seems that there is a brewery on every street corner. It's hard to keep up! :beercheer:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do hear from a family Ipa snob that Heineken from the factory in Holland is actually good.
I know from personal experience that by the time it gets to Spain, it's no longer good. I'd like to try it in Holland though. They own Lagunitas now, or at least part of it, and I love some of Lagunitas' beers.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a six-pack of Stone's Enjoy By 7/04 Unfiltered IPA, despite it being $16.99, 9.4 % ABV and the fact that I am scheduled to do my first hilly road bike ride of the year tomorrow. Can't wait to taste it!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today is a perfect day for a Brewdog Punk IPA. I mean, which day isn't? Best thing to come out of Scotland since Kenny Dalglish.

IMG_2854.JPG

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm drinking coffee, but I have the AC on at 7:45 a.m., so I'm sure I'll want a beer later.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It has its advantages to be ahead in time.
That one was chilled and went down with some penne bolognese after a work out -- 20 minute run, then 6 different exercises with weights focusing on core and legs+planks (30s)and situps (30s) repeat 3 times, then another 20 minute run and stretching. Alles in alle, circa 60-70 minutes.
Needless to say, that beer was a-some.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know from personal experience that by the time it gets to Spain, it's no longer good. I'd like to try it in Holland though. They own Lagunitas now, or at least part of it, and I love some of Lagunitas' beers.

Let's hope they don't ruin Lagunitas by trying to find shortcuts and cheaper ingredients. The Dutch are the Dutch after all.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's hope they don't ruin Lagunitas by trying to find shortcuts and cheaper ingredients. The Dutch are the Dutch after all.
Lagunitas in Petaluma is like Disneyland now, it's so popular. I'm heading that way today to get out of the heat, but I hear Russian River has a special release that I may like. That place is also always packed, though.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I came home from work last night to find a 4pack of the new Trapp Brewery Kolsch on my doorstep. Evidently the beer fairy stopped by while I was out. Sorry I missed her.

It is an excellent clean drinking crisp summer beer. I love hoppy beer, but the Von Trapps are doing some nice things with easy drinking Austrian/ German beers.