• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@pete

How many pounds? Generally accepted finish temp for brisket is 190 internal.

I do brisket at 225-240 indirect and plan on about 2.5 hrs per pound.

But ... as I'm sure you've heard discussed, there is significant variability with individual meat (gratitutious quote for your planned meat and rub thread).

Well, didn't weigh it, was 14 lbs but as noted split it with smaller (thinner) half in the smoker now, likely ~6lbs based on my fine visual skills ogsmile

I figured its be later evening before done, but was a bit more curious on rubs you like that are home made for the other half which I'll do in a few days. Can rest rubbed in fridge, etc so I'm open to suggestions. I don't really go spicy, more middle of road, less salty and even consider sweeter side.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh, one in smoker now is using hickory and a off the shelf "Dave's Famous" for rub. I quite the novice but hope to practice up this summer and move into a nicer grill/smoker next year. Simply using a Brinkman elec which hits maybe 170ish. I'm hooking up a due thermometer to check meat verses smoker temp.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Well, didn't weigh it, was 14 lbs but as noted split it with smaller (thinner) half in the smoker now, likely ~6lbs based on my fine visual skills ogsmile

I figured its be later evening before done, but was a bit more curious on rubs you like that are home made for the other half which I'll do in a few days. Can rest rubbed in fridge, etc so I'm open to suggestions. I don't really go spicy, more middle of road, less salty and even consider sweeter side.

I've been very happy with this rub -

EggNerd's Odd-Recipe Find: "Elder Ward's Brisket Rub"
I've used this rub on the last four Brisket's I've put in the cooker - and I'm hard pressed to imagine any reason why I won't use on the next Brisket. It's one of the key elements to my 36-hour Odyssey Brisket process which you can read about here.

Elder Ward's Brisket Rub:

Ingredients:

4 Tbs Kosher Salt
4 Tbs Raw Hawaiian Sugar
2 Tbs Ground Cumin Seeds
4 Tbs McCormick Chili powder
2 Tbs Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper (fine ground)
4 Tbs Hungarian Paprika
2 Tbs Thyme Ground

Preparation Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or food Processor) and liquefy in short bursts until consistent in texture/color. Shake after each short burst to stir that which settles to the bottom. The food processor will heat the spices enough to blend the flavors without burning them.

Store this Rub in an air-tight container until used.

Store in an airtight container until needed.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
oh, one in smoker now is using hickory and a off the shelf "Dave's Famous" for rub. I quite the novice but hope to practice up this summer and move into a nicer grill/smoker next year. Simply using a Brinkman elec which hits maybe 170ish. I'm hooking up a due thermometer to check meat verses smoker temp.

You can get the smoke flavor you want in anything. If your current set up can't get the temp high enough, smoke it for about 4-5 hrs, then pull it and finish it in your oven inside. Place the meat on a roasting pan with the drip pan, foil it, and set oven temp to 250. You'll need to get internal temp very close to 190 to get the necessary tenderness and be happy with the finished product.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
opps, yeah 240F, mind fart. otherwise i'd be waiting a long long time

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been very happy with this rub -

EggNerd's Odd-Recipe Find: "Elder Ward's Brisket Rub"
I've used this rub on the last four Brisket's I've put in the cooker - and I'm hard pressed to imagine any reason why I won't use on the next Brisket. It's one of the key elements to my 36-hour Odyssey Brisket process which you can read about here.

Elder Ward's Brisket Rub:

Ingredients:

4 Tbs Kosher Salt
4 Tbs Raw Hawaiian Sugar
2 Tbs Ground Cumin Seeds
4 Tbs McCormick Chili powder
2 Tbs Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper (fine ground)
4 Tbs Hungarian Paprika
2 Tbs Thyme Ground

Preparation Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or food Processor) and liquefy in short bursts until consistent in texture/color. Shake after each short burst to stir that which settles to the bottom. The food processor will heat the spices enough to blend the flavors without burning them.

Store this Rub in an air-tight container until used.

Store in an airtight container until needed.
excellent, i'll giver her a try!

thanks @JeffB

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
did the deed yesterday, wife loved it, I thought too- why change a good rub recipe, great flavor. Could of smoked it a bit longer. was very moist so I can see where another hour would put it spot on ... but my kids were hungry. Had to wrap a blanket around and towel on top of smoker as we had 45 degree weather, didn't do this till late.

20170518_223757.jpg 20170519_190223.jpg 20170519_190500.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone have a favorite marinade for a nice roast?

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Glad I found this thread!

I've had a BGE since I quit smoking a couple of years ago, and we have not had a bad meal off of it yet. Wife didn't believe that it made hamburgers taste better until I fired a few at her. I am pretty much down with it on the low/slow side of things and I prefer to do larger cuts in the winter. Not sure if the lack of humidity helps the thing or what, but it always seems to run better in the cold. Still trying to learn pizza. Not the egg side of it, the tossing the dough! I learned the hard way that those Epicurious or whatever pizza stones aren't worth much in an egg - the one we had shattered when the dough was slid on. Now have a nice BGE branded one to go with the stainless peel. Like anything, it's not the initial cost, it's the accessories you buy after!

Thanks for posting that photo, mouth is watering.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Pineapple honey glazed ham and smoked mac and cheese going on the egg for our Xmas party. I use the gas grill for burgers. Rarely fire up the egg unless something takes more than 20 minutes of cook time.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Pineapple honey glazed ham and smoked mac and cheese going on the egg for our Xmas party. I use the gas grill for burgers. Rarely fire up the egg unless something takes more than 20 minutes of cook time.

My wife hears you.

Thinking of getting her a small gas grill as a gift...

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Rarely fire up the egg unless something takes more than 20 minutes of cook time.

If you're not using it to for a high temp sear of steaks you're really missing out.. My shortest cook ever on the BGE was less than 4 minutes to sear some freshly caught tuna steaks that a customer gave me. They were definitely worth the effort.

Proof:

tuna.JPG

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
If you're not using it to for a high temp sear of steaks you're really missing out.. My shortest cook ever on the BGE was less than 4 minutes to sear some freshly caught tuna steaks that a customer gave me. They were definitely worth the effort.

Proof:

View attachment 35489

I eat tuna raw assuming I ever buy it in Colorado. I will occasionally sear a steak on the Egg but only if I have lots of extra time and with two teenage kids...time is a precious commodity.. The gas grill sears steaks just fine.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I eat tuna raw assuming I ever buy it in Colorado. I will occasionally sear a steak on the Egg but only if I have lots of extra time and with two teenage kids...time is a precious commodity.. The gas grill sears steaks just fine.

Never really thought about the Tuna from Colorado thing.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
My eggs had a baby...or maybe another egg followed me home. Either way, I obviously have a problem.

Going to make an effort to revive the thread as the outdoor cooking season officially has arrived for most. I’ve been in work travel and travel baseball hell lately (the baby egg is for the weekend baseball tailgate) but will try to post up some fun and tasty stuff soon.

B9054046-3181-4607-9936-9A63A9884438.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online