• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I'm approaching 4 weeks post op from open partial colectomy and haven't been grilling much because I can't eat it. Time to liberalize the diet though. Will see if I can come up with something cool for the long weekend and post up pics plus method.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Shrimp wrapped in bacon and fresh rare tuna steaks were the best from our access road party last weekend. Smoking a turkey and making Jamaican Jerk chicken thighs for the final weekend.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shrimp wrapped in bacon and fresh rare tuna steaks were the best from our access road party last weekend. Smoking a turkey and making Jamaican Jerk chicken thighs for the final weekend.
I would almost come to the final weekend for the food!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ok. There are some pros on here. So...

How do I get a 10 year old grill to look better than it does now? It has 10 years of grease and grime from heavy use both inside and out (outside is more smoke than grease). Pressure wash? Eco-friendly cleaners? ???

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok. There are some pros on here. So...

How do I get a 10 year old grill to look better than it does now? It has 10 years of grease and grime from heavy use both inside and out (outside is more smoke than grease). Pressure wash? Eco-friendly cleaners? ???
Honestly? Don't! That grime is a merit badge. But if you must, a good soak in lime (sodium hydroxide) will do wonders. Wear gloves and don't get it on you.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@skibob , I like your 'solution': do nothing. The grill itself is nicely seasoned and I certainly won't touch that, but people have remarked on the outside and frankly, it is a bit messy to pack up and take to the beach, so maybe I'll hit the outside only.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wife's on a diet so burgers, hot dogs, ribs are off the menu for her this holiday weekend. Going to take a crack at ka bobs, chicken and pineapple teriaki for her, steak and shrimp for me and the kids.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
@skibob , I like your 'solution': do nothing. The grill itself is nicely seasoned and I certainly won't touch that, but people have remarked on the outside and frankly, it is a bit messy to pack up and take to the beach, so maybe I'll hit the outside only.

Agree re leaving the inside as is. For outside, try using Simple Green and get some medium steel wool as your abrasive. If you've got baked on stuff you want to get off but don't want to use anything really caustic or scratch the outside badly, gets some plastic putty knives from Home Depot. You can get a 3 in one to bend a bit on the curved parts and it won't scratch. Rinse with hose water. That way, you won't risk messing up the inside seasoning you've earned with all your cooks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wife's on a diet so burgers, hot dogs, ribs are off the menu for her this holiday weekend. Going to take a crack at ka bobs, chicken and pineapple teriaki for her, steak and shrimp for me and the kids.
There are a lot of sugar in pineapple and teriaki. She is better off with a burger on a bed of lettuce or ribs with just a dry rub (no BBQ sauce).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've seen that photo all over the internet for almost a year now.

We went to see the new X-Men movie this afternoon due to rain, Tropical Storm Bonnie.

The filet minon, chicken breast, shrimp, and pineapple teriaki kabobs were da bomb tomight. We don't have any alcohol or tobacco but we do have FireWORKS. Getting ready to blast up a small mortar or two out back to wind down tonight's festivities. .. if the rain lets up enough to make that extra non thunder boom!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying out cutting my own short loin .... 2 inch or abouts .......

Should of noted it was boned upon buying it but hey, least wise I had it cut in two prior to picking it up.

meat.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Nothing too elaborate. Grilled chicken breasts with buffalo sauce for a dinner salad, and some farmers market chicken apple sausage (for breakfast tomorrow). But thought it was high time I get off my lazy rear and cook something outside and post it up -

Here's to summer -

image.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing too elaborate. Grilled chicken breasts with buffalo sauce for a dinner salad, and some farmers market chicken apple sausage (for breakfast tomorrow). But thought it was high time I get off my lazy rear and cook something outside and post it up -

Here's to summer -

View attachment 10365

Hope the recovery goes well and quickly.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Hope the recovery goes well and quickly.

Many thanks. All is well.

In the silver lining category, it's been good for portion control and exercise motivation, but not because I can't eat a ton if I choose. Rather, I've got a decent size vertical incision line on my gut, and if I get too heavy, it's going to make it look like I have a fat butt on my belly.

Though I haven't quizzed my wife specifically, I'm reasonably confident she'd say a man with an ass-shaped belly is not super sexy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and I grilled ribs Thursday night and have just finished the last of them.

For me, Korean Short Ribs. The marinade makes it!!
Posting recipe below picture.
13432173_10154094455781138_8393207784668494909_n.jpg

For 5 lbs of ribs:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup rice wine or rice wine vinegar
1 small onion finely chopped
4 cloves garlic
1/8 cup dark sesame oil
1/2 tsp black pepper.
Directions:
Use a little of the brown sugar to dust the ribs and let set while you're making the marinade
Mix all of the marinade and let the ribs set in it for a bit. I like it over night but a couple hours will do if you're in a pinch.
We let these set for 3 hrs and they are delicious.
Get grill hot, really hot!
Sear ribs on each side for a few minutes and eat. Quick grilling time and super yummy.

For Phil, 2 racks of pork ribs.This is his gig.
13343107_10154094455791138_4757413650923460811_n.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Boneless chicken thighs, roasted cauliflower, and sausage in lieu of salad.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Gratuitous shot of the guilt trip I got at the storage facility while grabbing some camping gear for another trip without them. I think they are plotting a mutiny or something.
image.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online