• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Basil Explosion

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's that time of year when a hot humid week exposed the fact that we simply planted too much basil.

Need recipes! Not pesto. We will have pesto coming out our ears and yes I know we can freeze it.

Amended: if you have any interesting pesto with a twist recipes please share.

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Ha ha, that was me with mint for the last several years. I just ripped it all out and planted some...basil!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I found instructions online to freeze chopped basil coated oil. It's easiest to use a food processor to chop it up and mix in some olive oil. Then freeze them in ice cube trays, and you get a nice fresh shot of home grown basil to put in soup or whatever throughout the winter.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The old standby is Caprese salad with bufala or Burrata Mozzarella.

Fresh basil has less flavor than dried when cooked, so you can make a batch of amazing fresh tomato sauce with summer tomatoes and whole handfuls of basil. Don't chop the basil, just throw it in the sauce, cook for hours and then pull the basil back out. you can freeze the sauce too and have delicious fresh sauce all winter long.

Eggplant is also a good thing to cook with basil. You can do it Asian style as in spicy Thai eggplant with basil. Or French style as in Ratatouille. Or bake it Italian style with a little garlic and basil. For the last one, cut small eggplant in half lengthwise. score the flesh diagonally not through the skin. grate or finely chop garlic and basil and squish it into the slits. Then spoon and spread a tablespoon or two of plain tomato sauce and drizzle olive oil on top. put in a 375 degree oven in a lightly oiled pan until the eggplant meat is tender, maybe 30-40 minutes. eat with a spoon. This is one of the easiest and most delicious eggplant recipes I know.

You can also marinate chicken in a paste of basil, lemon zest, juice, olive oil and garlic.

BTW, my niece's Tuscan mother-in-law used to tell her that you should pick the basil before it flowers. Once its flowers mature, it will give the leaves a slight bitter flavor.

oops almost forgot. Basil tastes great in omelets.

Finally, if you are just sick of the stuff, you can hang it upside down in a dry place and let it dry out for use in winter.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
BTW, my niece's Tuscan mother-in-law used to tell her that you should pick the basil before it flowers. Once its flowers mature, it will give the leaves a slight bitter flavor.

I've heard this, but instead that it would taste more bland. Either way - I've never noticed a difference, and I'm pretty sensitive to bitterness.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reminds me that I need to pick mine.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The same thing happens with mint. To the extent that you could never use it to make a mojito

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I chop finely with a dab of olive oil and use as a spread on breakfast sandwiches made of an English muffin, an egg, a couple slices of ham, and the basil. Wrap in foil and eat on the way to work.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I pinch back the tops when they start to flower.

Tonight we made baked tomatoes and onions with garlic then added toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. baked them in foil on the grill. They went well with ribeye steaks and the champagne Robin brought home from champagne.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Do it like the Thai people. Just stir fry it like it's a vegetable!

The dish I like is clam stir fry with basil and hot chili peper. A pound of clam. 1/2 pound of basil, amount of hot chili pepper to suit your taste.

Or, I can take a pound off your hand! Hehe!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I chop finely with a dab of olive oil and use as a spread on breakfast sandwiches made of an English muffin, an egg, a couple slices of ham, and the basil. Wrap in foil and eat on the way to work.
That sounds really good.
Sometimes I'll swap. Worcestershire or hot sauce for basil. Or none of the above. All are delicious.
...and you lost me with the Worcestershire sauce!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use either a slice of Whole Foods organic flax quinoa bread or Giant's Nature's Promise loaf harvest grain bread, (better for me then bagels complex carbs), buttered with Philadelphia brand cream cheese, topped with a few slices of nova smoked salmon and lots of fresh picked basil leaves. Tomato slice is optional and not really needed with fresh basil and good quality smoked salmon.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I pick ours and freeze the leaves whole in a container for fresh winter use.
When you put a whole frozen basil leaf in your recipes in the winter, you'll appreciate the fresh smell of basil

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I pinch back the tops when they start to flower.

I tend to keep the tops pinched back for longevity.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug and I pick ours and freeze the leaves whole in a container for fresh winter use.
When you put a whole frozen basil leaf in your recipes in the winter, you'll appreciate the fresh smell of basil

Definitely will try this. Along with drying some.

We always dry thyme, oregano and rosemary. With the tarrragon I make tarragon butter rolls and freeze them, then pull them out all winter long to use with baked sole, tilapia or chicken breasts.

Sponsor

Staff online