• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

General Backcountry Instruction Northeast US

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Crank - If there's any interest in purchasing used...I have a set of Fischer Koa 88 skis, with Tyrolia (Fischer branded) Ambition frame AT bindings, with BCA Magic Carpet skins. It was the perfect setup to get me into the backcountry, but I'm selling because I'm looking to upgrade this year. Selling cheap. Instead of mucking up your thread about backcountry instruction...PM me if there's any interest, and I'll send you more details.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Does anyone here have any experience, suggestions, recommendations for a good intro to BC course we could take here in NE?

Just got an email from the Mountaineer in Keene, NY. "MOUNTAINFEST 2018 & Dynafit Ski-Season Kick Off Party
World-renowned Alpinist, Author, and Mountain Guide, Steve House will be joining us...", on December 2.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
There was an avy class given by Chuck Boyd at the abovementioned Mountainfest. Turns out, it transitioned into a full-blown National Ski Patrol Level 1 course, this past weekend, held at Whiteface. I found out about it from a friend that attended the Mountainfest class. Hope it happens again next year.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crank,

I am interested in getting into skinning myself. What I discovered is Bolton Valley in VT, just south of Burlington, is the back country capitol of Northern Vt. They have a nice medium sized downhill area and a huge cross country/back country network. They rent the AT gear and also offer two classes in AT skiing. One is an intro class for newbies (just what you are looking for for your SO) and the other is a open to the public guided (or organized tour) the next day. The ski area has rooms to rent (although not extensive) and makes a nice get away for the weekend. I waited too long last season to do it, but I plan to give it a try next year. I cross country and downhill, have my own gear, and will either buy or rent the AT gear. I visited Bolton Valley one day l late in the season and liked what I saw. Go to their website and you will find the info on what they offer.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crank,

I am interested in getting into skinning myself. What I discovered is Bolton Valley in VT, just south of Burlington, is the back country capitol of Northern Vt. They have a nice medium sized downhill area and a huge cross country/back country network. They rent the AT gear and also offer two classes in AT skiing. One is an intro class for newbies (just what you are looking for for your SO) and the other is a open to the public guided (or organized tour) the next day. The ski area has rooms to rent (although not extensive) and makes a nice get away for the weekend. I waited too long last season to do it, but I plan to give it a try next year. I cross country and downhill, have my own gear, and will either buy or rent the AT gear. I visited Bolton Valley one day l late in the season and liked what I saw. Go to their website and you will find the info on what they offer.

Good idea re Bolton Valley. I have skied there but it was just after a huge rain and thaw. They were 100% open along with plenty of backcountry a few days before our ski club went for a weekend where we were relegated to a couple of lower lifts and mostly groomers. Their group sales rep has offered to take me out in to the backcountry there and show me some lines. They did not have AT rentals back then...good to know they offer that now.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have some backcountry experience and have skins and AT bindings. I want to get my SO Robin into it but would prefer to find an introductory class that includes gear rental. I know EMS has classes in the White Mountains and I think AMC may have some as well. Does anyone here have any experience, suggestions, recommendations for a good intro to BC course we could take here in NE?

Someone I have used some years back, pretty good at customizing outings to what you are looking for.
https://www.newhampshireclimbing.com/shop/intro-to-backcountry-skiing/

Mark Synnott has a reputation as a serious adventurer but works well with people at a very low level (me). A lot of emphasis on safety. He also has other guides you can use. Note that the hourly cost of a couple of people spending a day with a TNF sponsored athlete is significantly less than basic ski lessons with a beginner instructor (but that is another discussion).

Edit: It is worthwhile developing a relationship with an independent guiding service you like and trust. That way when you really want to step it up a level but want experienced backup, you know where to go.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll add another vote for the Bolton Valley recommendation. There's a lot of easily accessible terrain in the neighborhood, from meadow-skipping stuff to places where stability warrants consideration, and I'm sure the folks working in that program know it better than I did when I lived there (at which point there was only limited support for backcountry clinics). I don't know who else is involved in the program at this point, but I do know that Adam DesLauriers knows his stuff, and I'd be more than comfortable recommending a clinic with him to a relative.

From April 9, 2007, because that's the first Bolton BC powder shot I came across that I already have online:
main.php