• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ooh! Crap! I knew he was having a running battle with his strata committee (and various other sundry hijinx) but wow!

These two shots sum up Richard for me. A dependable, local's view into conditions on the ground, free from corporate spin ...

Richard 2.JPG

... and a side-country, after-season's-end inspiration. I'm buying a side-country rig in hope of being out there on the range myself sometime soon.

Richard 1.JPG

gerathlete

Booting up
Skier
Perisher reported 20cm overnight with more forecast over the next couple of days. They have announced that they will open on 3 June, a week before the season officially opens, and the first Australian resort to open.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
A few more.

Looking promising at Perisher ...

cold 1.jpg

... and Thredbo is white all the way down to the Village ...

cold 2.jpg

... but Mount Buller seems to have done the best thus far.

cold 3.jpg

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
This worries me. I always say a late start is a harbinger for a great season.
As long as the second week of August is good I'll be happy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, nice photos.
Thanks for the Southern Hemisphere stoke!

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow! Somebody turned up the snow making to eleven ...

Buller's Bourke Street has a few snow whales, and will open tomorrow for Friday night skiing (5:30 to 8:30pm).

cold 1.jpg

Meanwhile Perisher blew snow all day yesterday. It must have been cold down there. And I also see this season's first snowman.

This was all grass on Saturday morning so they're off to a great start.

cold 2.jpg

Last edited:

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
18921123_10154935652427946_1237131520755806436_o.jpg

Cardrona thin white ribbon of death, getting ready for Saturday opening. All man-made but expecting a few fronts to come through in the next week or two, fingers crossed.

TS
Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Beautiful weather at Mt Buller for Opening Weekend. I can report spring-like conditions in June. We have four lifts going at Buller.

IMAG0183.jpg Fireworks and Night skiing!
IMAG0179.jpg
Interesting way to ride a T-Bar :rolleyes:
IMAG0173.jpg
The Mt Buller Summit in the background.
IMAG0171.jpg
Beautiful day on Bourke Street too.
Overall, amazing Saturday. Just preparing to go ski now(Sunday). Very good cover for this time of year.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not a lot has been going on down here lately. A giant high pressure system has kind of sat on top of Australia for most of June, meaning we've had very little in the way of natural snow. That all changes this weekend as a decent snowfall is being forecast.

Thredbo is opening the Supertrail tomorrow and that, for me, is the real start of the season.

Here are a couple of runs at Perisher, just to show how snowmaking is tiding us over for now.

cold 1.jpg
cold 2.jpg

And here's the front face of Thredbo, with the Supertrail being prepped for action tomorrow.

cold 3.jpg

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Er, I'm afraid I mixed up my days. The Supertrail opens Saturday (which is today's tomorrow, not yesterday's tomorrow ... or something).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
So, I see why we get so many Aussies up here these days :P
Then again, when my new skis arrive next week :drool: it's going to be very tempting to head south for (part of) the summer!

Sponsor

Staff online