• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Maverick 88 Ti for beginner?

CatskillSteve

Booting up
Skier
Just go demo as many pairs of skis as possible base your decision on that. I'm sure the shop will cut you a deal.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just go demo as many pairs of skis as possible base your decision on that. I'm sure the shop will cut you a deal.
Unfortunately a beginner has no idea what they are demoing just that there are differences. Invest is a proper fit boot, good instruction/coaching and save on a ski that you grow out of in a season or two.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Totally agreed Phil, too many people are just focused on brands and reviews.
That's not what Phil was saying.
This is a thread in a new to skiing/ beginner area, with someone who wants to know if this particular ski is okay for a beginner.

Telling someone who is a beginner to "demo skis" is not ideal.
Demoing is for someone who is more experienced, not someone who's a beginner.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
All the advice about boots is spot on, get fitted. If the boot feels good when you first put it on, it is probably too big. Here are some skis to look at. These are as easy as it gets and there is no better deal for new skis and bindings with this level of performance. I am an instructor and use these to teach.

TS
C

Chris_E

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
All the advice about boots is spot on, get fitted. If the boot feels good when you first put it on, it is probably too big. Here are some skis to look at. These are as easy as it gets and there is no better deal for new skis and bindings with this level of performance. I am an instructor and use these to teach.

Brilliant, thank you! Noted, I'll keep that advice in mind when it comes to boots.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I could buy a pair of carving skis, from the same friend who has the boots. I'd be paying about $60 for both skis and boots, which is basically the price of two rentals.....
Here's the thing about boots. They are the connector between you and your skis. Or more precisely, between your feet and lower legs and your skis. You control your skis with your feet and lower legs. If your boots don't fit right, you can't control your skis.

If the stiff plastic shell of a boot doesn't have a shape that matches your foot's anatomy, bulges and all, there will be extra space inside the boot between your foot and its shell. The spongy liner cannot fill those gaps because it's spongy, not solid.

Your foot will move into the gaps, compressing the spongy liner, because the forces involved in skiing are high. The boot will wobble around the foot when that happens. If the boot wobbles on your foot, the ski will wobble.

SO... if the boot is in any way too long, too wide, too tall over the foot, etc, even by small amounts here and there, the movement of your foot will not translate directly to the movement of your ski. You may not feel the foot's movement inside the boot, but you will feel the ski's wobble on the snow.

Think of it this way: a boot that doesn't match your foot's anatomy in three dimensions is a loose steering wheel. Do you really want to be sliding around out there on snow with lag time causing a wobble and lag time between what your feet do and what the skis do?

If you buy your friend's boots, there's little likelihood that it will fit your foot properly.

Boots cost a lot. Part of what you are paying for is the expertise of the bootfitter who can choose for you a boot whose shape comes close to your foot's shape. That price should also cover some custom work the bootfitter does to the boot to get it to match your foot's anatomy. Plastic can be shaped by stretching it out where the fit is too tight, or a pocket can be ground out to make room for a bulge in your foot's shape. There are other things a boot fitter can do to increase the match between the boot and your foot. All of this is to give you control over your skis.

It's best to get a boot that feels really snug on your foot. Uncommonly snug. Then the bootfitter can stretch the parts of the plastic that are too tight and/or grind out pockets for the bulges in your feet. This forum has a lot of experience describing to skiers new to boot buying what the boot fitting process should be like. With this information you can tell if you have found a good bootfitter who can get the right boot on your foot, or a boot "seller" whose goal is just to sell lots of boots.

Just ask if you are interested in going this route instead of starting with your friend's boots.

The general advice here is to buy boots from a professional boot fitter who adjusts them to your feet, then rent skis for a year or more before buying. And take lessons as you build skills.

TS
C

Chris_E

Skier
Here's the thing about boots. They are the connector between you and your skis. Or more precisely, between your feet and lower legs and your skis. You control your skis with your feet and lower legs. If your boots don't fit right, you can't control your skis.

If the stiff plastic shell of a boot doesn't have a shape that matches your foot's anatomy, bulges and all, there will be extra space inside the boot between your foot and its shell. The spongy liner cannot fill those gaps because it's spongy, not solid.

Your foot will move into the gaps, compressing the spongy liner, because the forces involved in skiing are high. The boot will wobble around the foot when that happens. If the boot wobbles on your foot, the ski will wobble.

SO... if the boot is in any way too long, too wide, too tall over the foot, etc, even by small amounts here and there, the movement of your foot will not translate directly to the movement of your ski. You may not feel the foot's movement inside the boot, but you will feel the ski's wobble on the snow.

Think of it this way: a boot that doesn't match your foot's anatomy in three dimensions is a loose steering wheel. Do you really want to be sliding around out there on snow with lag time causing a wobble and lag time between what your feet do and what the skis do?

If you buy your friend's boots, there's little likelihood that it will fit your foot properly.

Boots cost a lot. Part of what you are paying for is the expertise of the bootfitter who can choose for you a boot whose shape comes close to your foot's shape. That price should also cover some custom work the bootfitter does to the boot to get it to match your foot's anatomy. Plastic can be shaped by stretching it out where the fit is too tight, or a pocket can be ground out to make room for a bulge in your foot's shape. There are other things a boot fitter can do to increase the match between the boot and your foot. All of this is to give you control over your skis.

It's best to get a boot that feels really snug on your foot. Uncommonly snug. Then the bootfitter can stretch the parts of the plastic that are too tight and/or grind out pockets for the bulges in your feet. This forum has a lot of experience describing to skiers new to boot buying what the boot fitting process should be like. With this information you can tell if you have found a good bootfitter who can get the right boot on your foot, or a boot "seller" whose goal is just to sell lots of boots.

Just ask if you are interested in going this route instead of starting with your friend's boots.

The general advice here is to buy boots from a professional boot fitter who adjusts them to your feet, then rent skis for a year or more before buying. And take lessons as you build skills.

Fantastic, thanks a lot for taking the time to go into detail on this.

I don't think there are any instructors around here, the small ski resorts in the area are mainly run through volunteer work. So the best bet is to just go skiing with friends, pick up a few things from them, find the green slope and take it from there. That will probably be my way of learning. And youtube, there's always that.

But the boot fitting shouldn't be an issue, there are quite a few stores here selling skis, so I'm guessing they have the equipment for this.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So the best bet is to just go skiing with friends, pick up a few things from them, find the green slope and take it from there. That will probably be my way of learning. And youtube, there's always that.

But the boot fitting shouldn't be an issue, there are quite a few stores here selling skis, so I'm guessing they have the equipment for this.
Sounds like a good plan.

Getting good fitting boots requires getting a GOOD bootfitter (who will probably be working in a good shop). Boot fitters are not created equal.

Find a shop that services the local race team. Identifying this shop may require some phone calls. Such a shop will have extensive race equipment for sale (such as speed suits and slalom poles), and there will be at least one bootfitter working there who knows how to adjust boots to foot anatomy as explained above. You won't be getting race boots, just the expertise of a good fitter.

Then make an appointment to see that fitter.

Another way to find a good boot fitter is ask on this forum by starting a thread titled Know any good boot fitters in Norway? or something like that. This forum has at least one active member from Norway, and one more who coaches a race team there but hasn't posted lately.

Have fun skiing, and welcome to the club of ski fanatics.

Yearning4POW

Booting up
Skier
In terms of boots, try on a pair of Dahu ski boots (google them). They are the most comfortable ski boots you'll ever wear. Can ski in them all day. They have sales all the time and can get them on a discount. They have demo stores at certain resorts and are available in limited stores. I really like them and their cust service is great.

Dahu has a "regular" snow boot which fits into a shell. It skis really well and feels like much tighter snowboarding boots. Worth a try IMHO of course.

Yearning4POW

Booting up
Skier
In terms of skis, I'd say for a beginner don't get skis with too much metal. Make it easy to bend the ski. Once you are back and skiing with confidence, than look for a ski to buy. Also factor in tip/tail rocker and effective edge, not just the listed ski length. Ski length alone can be a little misleading. I made the mistake of overspending on my first pair of skis as a beginner, should've just gotten something cheap and soft.

And reviews of skis help of course, but skis are extremely subjective. So figure out what you're looking for (after you get back into it) and then search for skis. Don't go by reviews alone if you don't know what you want (or don't want/don't like about current skis).

TS
C

Chris_E

Skier
So, I went skiing yesterday with boots borrowed from a friend of mine. Now I have an impression of what all of you mean by focusing on the boots rather than skis; they felt snug and comfortable when I put them on and just walked around a bit, but I'm pretty sure they were a little too big for me.

I could feel some 'dead' movement in the boots i.e. moving my feet without getting response from boots/skis. Very marginal, obviously, but enough to notice the slight delay between foot movement and ski response. Interesting.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you have another friend with smaller feet you could try those on for comparison. Keep in mind, boots measure both ways - length and width. You are shopping low budget so try as many boots as you are able to test.

Skis... keep them short, no TI and generally not too stiff. As far as carving skis, that would be fine as long as it a soft ski and short. This my opinion.

You probably won't be skiing used skis for too long. I can tell that you will be a quick learner, as long as you go skiing. You can take lessons and give yourself a level-rating above beginner if you are able to ski green trails..

I wish you all the best. Skiing is an awesome sport.

TS
C

Chris_E

Skier
If you have another friend with smaller feet you could try those on for comparison. Keep in mind, boots measure both ways - length and width. You are shopping low budget so try as many boots as you are able to test.

Skis... keep them short, no TI and generally not too stiff. As far as carving skis, that would be fine as long as it a soft ski and short. This my opinion.

You probably won't be skiing used skis for too long. I can tell that you will be a quick learner, as long as you go skiing. You can take lessons and give yourself a level-rating above beginner if you are able to ski green trails..

I wish you all the best. Skiing is an awesome sport.

Thanks for the reply and the encouraging words :thumb:

Bolded bit: these were too long, but the width and toe area matched. So when I then started skiing, I'm guessing my feet started to slide back a little inside the boots, making them feel less good than when I walked in them.

Oh, and it turns out I actually do have another friend with slightly smaller feet, whose boots I might be allowed to try. Fancy that..

TS
C

Chris_E

Skier
I have an alternative view point. I think all mountain skis are better than more carve oriented skis for beginning skiers. The width makes balance easier and the rocker/taper makes them easier to pivot on. Not all skiing is carving. If you feel you need a carving ski later,get one then. If the Atomics feel like they are too advanced for you have the tips and tails beveled to 1.5*.

So, this is what I went with. A friend of mine also made a convincing case for wide skis with rocker and taper, and recommended a used pair we found online. They have regular alpine bindings for now, I'm considering tech bindings to make them more versatile.

I thought about renting, but decided it's more fun and motivating to have my own skis. I've been five times now, and the learning curve has obviously been pretty steep, starting from zero. Absolutely love it so far, great fun.

Sponsor

Staff online